Chapter 19: Yet Another Hurdle

Season of Gfriend

“Answer me!”, Yerin’s frustration was filled up to her brim. She hated the feeling that she didn’t know anything. She hated the feeling that Eunha didn’t tell her or probably anyone in the group.

“I’m not”, Eunha was still denying it.

“Stop denying! Please, Jung Eunbi…”, Yerin was on her knees, begging Eunha to tell her the truth.

By this time, the three members who were peacefully watching the movie gathered at the door area. They were stunned to see Yerin on the floor whilst crying her heart out, as well as Eunha. The eldest was just there, standing at the side, looking so stoic.

“Unnie, what is happening?”, Yewon intercepted but neither of them made a sound.

Yuju tried to aid Yerin in standing up but she swatted her like a fly. 

“Jung Eunbi, I thought we are all sisters here… aren’t we trustworthy enough?”, she turned to Yuju only to witness the main vocal tremble. Yerin realized a significant point right then.

‘Maybe the 97-liners fought because of this’, she inferred.

“Choi Yuna, care to explain?”

“Eh?”, Yuju’s fingers were unstable, same went for her eyes as they landed on Eunha. Seemed like the latter took it wrongly, thus accusing Yuju of spilling the beans.

“Did you tell Yerin-unnie?”, her face full of disbelief.

“No… I…”

“Choi Yuna…” Yerin started.

Yerin stood up by herself and faced their main vocal. “So you knew all along?”, she let out an awkward laugh. 

“Why didn’t you tell us?”, she vented out her anger towards Yuju, but Eunha stepped up to protect her same-age friend.

“It was my fault. I told her to pretend, it’s not Yuna’s fault”, Eunha could feel her lesions rubbing against her cardigan, and they were painful.

“Please, just be mad at me, Yerin-unnie… she didn’t do anything wrong”, she added, with eyes clearly depicting her guilt.

“No, I could have told you the truth but I chose not to, forgive me, Yerin-unnie”, Yuju covered up for herself. 

The maknaes could not keep up with what’s happening. All they knew was that they’re crumbling to pieces once again.

“That’s not the point here…”, Yerin was clenching her fists, restraining herself from breaking out.

“We just had our concerts, and you were pretending that you were fine. It’s the fact that we thought everything was fine, when the truth is we were blind about you… your pain! Eunha, what if you fainted or had a shock during our tour? What if you died? We would be regretting for not helping you! I know I’m not supposed to be mad, but I feel so freaking useless right now”

Yerin’s originally milky white complexion was replaced with redness. She was burning in rage, worry, and all sorts of things. 

Seeing so, Sinb came to hug Yerin, who was on the floor, beating herself for being a useless sister. Sinb signalled Yewon to aid her other sisters, but she spoke up instead. 

“Unnie, let’s look at Eunha-unnie’s perspective as well, it must be hard on her”, Yewon suggested, trying to neutralize the excessive reaction among them. 

Gfriend was at the verge of breaking right now. It’s far different from their ordinary arguments, or that bizarre experience they had before Season of Gfriend. They faced tribulations in their own reality.

The bunny sniffed few times, before attempting to speak up.

“It’s true… my past condition, LCH, is resurfacing. And I was and am supposed to be admitted at Hanshin Hospital for my daily medication and therapy, but I decided not to be locked up in a suffocating area once again”, she started heavily, her eyes just looking at the floor and nothing else.

“It’s been months since I found out about it, and it’s been months since I lied to you all. Yuju knew about this because she went after Dr. Seo in her astral body, but she had no idea of how drastic my condition is”

Everyone was listening, especially Yerin and Yuju.

“It’s affecting my skin and my lymph nodes as of the moment, but more complications could arise from this disease”, she explained further. 

“I’m sorry if I wasn’t able to tell you all. I was afraid that our schedule might be held back because of me. Our concert might be pushed back, and Buddies will be sad. I... I always lacked as a lead vocal and I didn’t want to stir up more trouble for you all”

Listening to Eunha’s speech, tears were just flowing freely from their tear ducts. 

“I wanted to live as a normal being, except for the fact that I have to go every Thursday to have my meds… but I feared that if I tell you all, you will pity me… you will be criticized more because of me… Gfriend will suffer more because of me”, she was always blaming herself.

“Unnie, Gfriend without you won’t be Gfriend. Criticisms? We’ve been receiving them ever since, but we surpassed them”, Yewon hugged Eunha. 

“You never lacked as a lead vocal, as a member or as a member, Eunbi… that’s why I’m sorry if I ever made you feel that way”, Yuju joined in the embrace.

Yerin was still wrapped by Sinb’s arms, but she released her upon seeing such heartwarming scene. Sinb held Yerin’s hand and smiled at her. 

“Let’s believe in the power of miracles and prayers, Yerin-unnie”, she said, making Yerin weep more. Then, they went to embrace Eunha.

From that point onwards, there were no words that escaped their lips. What filled their dorm was the sound of their silent cries, hidden beneath those are their hopes for the days to come. 

The troubled Eunha could feel their sincerity, and perhaps she discovered the answers she wanted to hear.

While the five of them were immersed in a clingy situation, the eldest was obviously detached to everything. In fact there was a slight frown in her face.

When they started to feel better, they dispersed and all went to the dining table, wherein they gathered for a meal. 

Midst their dinner, Sowon stood up, much like the scenario wherein she went hysterical. She put down her and chopsticks, and clapped loudly. Her younger sisters looked at her, puzzled. 

“Now that Eunha’s illness has been revealed, I will reveal mine”

“You’re sick too?”, Eunha’s voice was noticeably nervous.

The tallest beamed and responded, “Yes, well not quite. Truth be told, I’m sick of this… so I have decided to quit the group”. 

Then she sat down, and began to eat her meal once again.