Chapter 9: Ascend

Season of Gfriend

“How are you feeling these days?”

Yewon just stared blankly at the person interrogating her, as if she didn’t hear anyone. Her mother tapped her lightly, but when the maknae still refused to respond, she bowed to the doctor, saying, “I’m sorry, Doc, ever since yesterday, she has been acting weirdly”

“Perhaps she’s feeling a little awkward to speak up because of your presence, ma’am, so it would be nice if you could wait outside”, the doctor smiled at her. 

Her mother felt a bit offended by this but she went out still. Her child’s welfare was more important than her own side anyway. 

When there was only the two of them left inside the clinic, the doctor took a deep breathe and asked Yewon once again. However, contrary to what he expected, Yewon was still not responding. 

“You see, I heard that you are bullied a lot… so, if you want to talk about it, I will listen”, he smiled. 

Yewon glared at him and clenched her fists. 

“If I tell you what really bothers me, you will label me as crazy, I don’t know, delusional…”, she paused and rolled her eyes. “...I don’t want to talk to you”, she continued. 

“Miss Yewon, I will not hurry and diagnose you as something related to that, unless you really have it”, deep inside he was losing his patience, but as a psychiatrist, he was taught to be understanding and all. 

On the other hand, Yewon’s anger was building up inside her, like a pile of snow in the winter, it was getting thicker and thicker. After her conversation with her mother, she never realized how much of her words scared her mother. She thought that Yewon might have been too psychologically damaged, that she brought her to this psychiatrist, but that wasn’t the case at all. 

The thought of going back to time and being transferred to the US feared Yewon. There was this great possibility that she won’t meet her unnies and friends anymore, and her remembering their memories while living a different timeline would be awful. 

She stood up and left the clinic, leaving the psychiatrist frustrated and shocked. Her mother was also disappointed with Yewon’s actions, but she couldn’t lash her anger out because she fears her condition would worsen. 

“Mom, I’m not crazy!”, Yewon yelled at her in the hallway. 

“Yewon-ah, let’s calm down and understand things…”

“No, mom, you’re the one who doesn’t understand me”, she tried to stop the tears from falling but, blame gravity for pulling too hard on them. 

“Yewon…”, her mother embraced her while she could hear her child’s sobs. It was painful for her, but she couldn’t place trust on her child’s statements. She firmly believed on her standpoint — that her youngest became weird due to the bullies. 

Soon enough, their bodyguards fetched them, assisted them to their car seats. 

As the drive went on, Yewon notices the deviation from their usual path on the way home. She rubbed her puffy eyes as she double checked the traffic signs -- Incheon Airport, is her flight today?

“Mom, what is this? Why are we going here?”, she was panicking.

“Yewon, your sister will accompany you there. She will take care of you”, her mother calmly replied. 

“No, why don’t you listen to me? Mom, I don’t want to go there. This isn’t my world, I can’t go there. You can’t change my story”, she was beginning to spill some beans about the whole time travel thing, somehow hoping that her mother would consider. The latter looked at her so lovingly, and thought how drastic the effects were on her child. This made her decision more fixed. 

Yewon was still latching on her mother as she was explaining things when they arrived on the airport. Their guards carried Yewon and her sister’s luggages to the check-in area. 

“Mom…”, Yewon was still tearing up which caught the attention of some people inside the place. She was embarrassed but decided to just don’t mind the people. She had to stay in Korea, but her mother wasn’t budging. 

As her mother was processing her tickets and all, Yewon who was guarded by their guards looked around the place helplessly. Upon doing so, she noticed a familiar face -- Eunha in her middle school years. 

“Eunha-unnie!”, she shouted at her, but she didn’t turn around. That’s when she remembered that Eunha was still not aware of her being Eunha, so she shouted once again, this time, “Jung Eunbi!” 

Little Yewon’s voice was so loud it made Eunha, who was at least a few metres, turn around, looking for the source of the voice. She could see the confusion on her unnie’s face but that made her glad. She ran off to her, with the guards catching up on her as soon as she dashed to the young Eunha. 

When they were face-to-face, Eunha raised an eyebrow to her. Yewon, smiling, hugged the young Eunha making the latter flustered more than ever. 

“Wha- what are you doing? Who are you?”, she was trying to break off but Yewon’s embrace was too tight. 

“Eunha-unnie…”, by this time, her tears erupted again. 

“I’m not Eunha!”, she struggled but managed to removed Yewon’s arms on her. The young Eunha glared at her, obviously pissed off, while Yewon’s guards held onto the latter’s arms. 

Yewon became sad after Eunha didn’t recognize her, but of course, why would she? 

Yewon’s mother, who was done with the files, ran to the confused Eunha and apologized. “I’m sorry, young lady, my child’s a sweet girl but she’s been acting weird lately”

Eunha, who was surprised by the sudden events, just nodded to Yewon’s mother. She wasn’t particularly super mad at the young girl who hugged her, but her actions indeed pissed her somehow.

Yewon, with her mom and the guards, left and walked on the opposite route. The young Eunha just stood there, staring at the young Yewon’s back, when the latter turned to her. There was an unexplainable tug in Eunha’s heart when she saw the sadness in her expression. It was weird for a stranger to experience strange things, and what she felt was weird as well. The young Eunha just broke off the eye contact, to which Yewon did as well.

“Eunbi-ah, you’re here. We were worried that you became lost”, Eunha’s sister ran off to her. “Why do you look so pale?”, she touched her younger sister’s forehead to check her temperature, but she was fine. “Let’s go and rest in our home, okay?”, she grabbed Eunha’s hands and guided her towards the exit.

Meanwhile, Yewon felt more lethargic than earlier, lethargic enough to just obey her mother’s plans for her. She wasn’t too certain whether this will bring her happiness but maybe it would be much better for her health. Joining Gfriend made her happy, but there were rough times that almost drove her to social anxiety. The criticisms and unnecessary hate that she received from when she was in Gfriend -- maybe she had to stay away from them and just stay in her own pace. 

She met with her sister earlier, and now, they’re on the plane together. She remembered her mother’s pained expression when she let go of her hands as they left to board the plane. She now concluded that maybe going to the US would be a much better choice, for her and her family. 

As the plane started to ascend from the runway, Yewon just let go of everything. Her fears, troubles, memories with her unnies, but it would have been better to have her memories removed, because she can’t bury them herself. They were too precious to be erased from existence.

“I know you’re not okay, but I’ll be here, okay?”, Yewon’s sister held her hand, smiling genuinely. The maknae buried herself onto her sister’s arms as she silently cried. She was on the state of nowhere -- in a space wherein she could no longer identify whether this is her reality or a dream from present times. If it’s her dream, maybe then this is a sign that she must move on, far from the flashes of camera and judgment of people.