Chapter 2: Half and Half

Season of Gfriend

“So you’re saying that Sowon-unnie is in her astral body right now?”

Sinb whose eyes were still puffy and red from what happened, tries to confirm what she just heard from Yuju, to which she nodded.

“Apparently, you’re the only one who can see her”, Yerin stated it in a rather rising tone, somehow implying that she wasn’t that sure of what to believe.

Earlier the Gfriend members were in distress as Sowon acted in a peculiar manner and fainting after they took their breakfast. When they heard Yuju call the eldest’s name as if she was there, they realized there was something more intriguing in what’s happening. 

When she explained what she had just seen, of course with the eldest’s consent, the three oblivious members weren’t sure whether they wanted to believe or not. But Eunha supported Yuju’s claim by pointing out the fact that she often have troubles with regards to sleep and dreams and the like. She didn’t elaborate that much, especially to the thing between the 97-liners, as she believe that it will cause more confusion to the shook hearts of the remaining gals. 

Somehow convinced, they all decided to transfer Sowon’s body to her and Yerin’s room. At least, her body’s able to get a wonderful place to lay upon. 

Now, they all stare at her body.

“Yuju, can you tell them not to stare at my body… it’s uncomfortable”, the leader kinda chuckled to what she just said. Well, she wasn’t too fond of seeing herself in a separate manner though, so it makes sense for her to feel uncomfortable.

“Guys, Sowon-unnie would appreciate it if you’d stop staring at her body”

In an instance they shifted their gazes to different areas inside the room, while Eunha’s was on Yuju. She couldn’t quite see through Yuju -- what she’s thinking, what she’s feeling right now. And she was worried. 

“Can I ask something?”, Yewon politely asked. 
“Yes?”

“Where is Sowon-unnie right now?”

Pointing her finger on her left side, Umji got her response, to which she just nodded -- as a sign of thanks I guess. 

“Ah, that’s right, Sowon-unnie, what happened earlier?”

As everyone was still in states of uncertainty, Yerin took a step to clearing out some things, first of which is Sowon’s strange behaviour earlier.

When Sowon heard Yerin’s question, she wasn’t too sure of what to respond. The only thing she could remember is that she heard someone whispering into her ear and that’s it. Her acts were something out of her control, it was as if it’s acted on reflex or somebody else was manipulating her. 

Seeing her unnie’s frown from trying to respond made Yuju’s heart ache a bit.

“You don’t have to answer if you can’t, Unnie”, she tried to hold her hand but it just passed through. Of course, it wasn’t her physical body, what was Yuju even thinking? Sowon shook her head and decided that she must answer. Maybe they’ll all find out how she could go back to her body. 

“I noticed the gloomy aura between the two of you…”, Sowon started to speak up, looking directly at Yuju’s eyes. “Two of us?”, her gaze made Yuju flinch a bit -- it was a cold stare, if she’ll say. “Yes, the 97-liners… both of you looked strange, so I wanted to open it up after we finished our meals, but then…”, this time Sowon took a long pause.

Everyone who cannot see Sowon had anticipation in Yuju’s transmission of the eldest’s story, but the second tallest was still on her ears, listening to what Sowon is trying to convey.

“...there was a voice that suddenly creeped through my head… it was resonating within me…”, she began to cry, at least in her personal perspective. Although the words that she heard weren’t that strong or offensive, it made such a bad impact on her sanity at that moment.

“Yuju, what did she say?”, the bob-haired girl asked her in a serious tone, but Yuju didn’t even budge even a bit. She was still gathering up the strength to relay the story. 

With that, silence took over the place. Yuju was deeply staring into Sowon's eyes, as the she did the same. The latter wondered why Yuju hasn't relayed the message yet. Perhaps it was because it was something that involved them, the 97-liners, or it could be due to the fact that she may have sounded crazy whilst stating the voices that she heard. 

"What did she say, unnie?" 

The youngest broke the silence while clutching onto Sowon's cold hands. Her astral body begin to move towards Umji, trying to embrace her as a sign of assurance that they will find a way on how to go back to her body.

"Upon seeing Eunha and I sullen, unnie heard a voice whispering into her ears...", she paused for a while and looked at the members and continued, "...she wasn't sure whether the hysteria was on her or what, because she couldn't have a hold of yourself when that happened"

The members sighed in sync, drowning further in the absurd abyss. 

"Why did her astral body separate itself from her physical one?"

The second youngest offered a follow up question, to which Yuju shook her head. "She doesn't know... I don't know either"

"But Yuna...", this time, it was Eunha who spoke out her thoughts. "...isn't it too much of a coincidence to have three of us experiencing this kind of peculiar activity?" 

With the petite lady's sentence, everyone fell into deep shock. It was seen on their faces, especially on the clueless trio. 

"You experienced the same thing?", Yerin asked in surprise, but she was overlapped by Yuju.

"You... what are you trying to say?"

"What you did earlier to me... what happened to me every night... there has to be some reason"

Yuju's eyes began to water once again as she remembered how she hurt Eunha against her own consciousness, but she noticed something in her words. 'Happened to her? Something happened to her?' Her mind were filled with overlapping dark clouds of thoughts she knew would rain on her later. 

"What do you mean 'happened to you'?"

The strangulation marks -- they can be answered right now. She can finally connect what might be the cause of those. 

"I dreamed every night and wake up with dried tears covering my cheeks...", everyone was listening especially Yuju, "... but I forget what my dreams are the moment I wake up"

This hit Yuju's heart well. Not only because she couldn't come up with an answer as to why those marks appeared on her, but because she once experienced the same thing when she was younger. Dreaming of dreams she couldn't even remember and having painful headaches the day after - it was a rough period for her. But when she entered Source Music, she began experiencing worse --shifting to her astral body, meeting people and spirits whom she haven't seen before, in her travel. She even saw a same-age friend in her dreams, even before meeting him in the physical realm. 

She fell silent, just as everyone did. 

Just then, Eunha decided to leave the room and go somewhere the rest of the members don't know. Their eyes followed her small figure, leaving trails of confusion for the others and regret for Yuna. 

"Yuna-ya...", Sowon's astral body approached the flushed Yuju. "... what really happened?"

This time, Yuju decided to tell everything to the members what she did. There were loud cries coming from her, but they couldn't stop her. She was definitely regretting what she did, even though it was only a sudden impulse that didn't stem from her judgment. 

The members tried to comfort her, telling her that Eunha would never think bad of her. But even though they told her sweet words, it was too much for the palate of the bitter Yuna. 

It was already noon and their tummies are already calling for a hearty lunch. But their main cooks, Sowon and Eunha weren't available as of the moment. That's why they decided to order 2 servings of half and half chicken, to avoid hassle. 

Thirty minutes later, the food arrived. They were so hungry that they immediately began eating, somehow forgetting to guard Sowon’s physical body, either way her astral body followed them to the dining table.

“This is where it all happened, huh?”, Sowon looked at the table with sadness in her eyes. She’s hungry, but cannot eat. She wants to go back to her body as soon as possible, but they couldn’t figure out how to do so. It was tough for the band’s leader. Earlier this month, she was once again targeted by hate in the internet. While she learned to accept her lacking areas, having strangers slap those to her face made her feel useless. Not only that, but her shadowed sacrifices were also dumped. 

Yuna, upon noticing this, comforted her with words, “We’ll find a way to get you back as soon as possible”. Even though there was no assurance that she could do so, Sowon felt relieved upon hearing her member’s heart to help.

“Oh that’s right, where’s Eunha?”, asked Yerin who was devouring a whole piece of warm chicken .

“That’s right… she left the room”, Sinb added. 

“You stay here, I’ll go check on her”, Sowon told Yuju to relay her message.

The lanky woman entered the 97-liners’ room and checked on Eunha who was sitting at the side of her bed, with the bunny’s back facing her, while holding a mirror. She couldn’t hear nor see her, so she just approached her without hesitation. Upon nearing her, she noticed that she was visible in the mirror Eunha was holding. 

“You can see me?” There was joy in her tone. It wasn’t because she was tired of Yuju’s exclusive coverage of her astral projection, but because at least Yuju wouldn’t be too pressured anymore.

“Unnie…”, Eunha spoke so meekly that you would think someone made her feel inferior. Of course, it was different of the usual carefree Eunha who barely restricts herself in stuff especially eating. But her tone seemed like her soul left her body -- so lethargic.

Sowon shifted her gaze from Eunha to the reflection in the mirror once again. There, she noticed details which were similar to what Yuju has described earlier. The strangulation marks were visible, and they were dark and scary. 

Seeing such sight made her astral body’s knees weak and tremble, where in fact she should not feel anything as a mere projection. 

“Eunha-ya…”

This time, the petite girl turned to her and faced her, which left Sowon even more staggered. Even though she had no makeup on, Sowon found her eyebags unusually prominent and dark. Consequently she noticed few bruise marks on her arms. And of course, the strangulation marks that Yuju has mentioned.

Unable to move from both of their positions, Eunha started to tear up.

“I remember the dreams…”