Chapter 20: Punctured

Season of Gfriend

The fact that Sowon reverted back to her position as if nothing happened made the rest of the members feel betrayed, especially Eunha.

She could vividly remember how Sowon reacted when she suggested Gfriend to disband. Yet hearing what she just said totally changed Eunha’s perspective.

“What… what are you saying, unnie? Don’t tell me you’re practicing your acting skills once again”, Yewon awkwardly laughed, trying to hide her thumping heart.

“Oh, that’s right! Unnie, ever since you did Gashina, you became more mature or ier… your gaze is just…”, Sinb was matching Yewon, trying to lighten the mood, but she noticed how Yerin’s face became sour and keeping the serious face. Upon looking more into the unnies’ faces, she noticed they had the same reactions as well.

“Sowon-unnie, what do you mean?”

Yerin didn’t jive well with the maknaes’ remarks, and asked the eldest right away. However, instead of directly responding, Sowon smiled and said, “Let’s eat our dinner first. We don’t want a good food go to waste”. 

“I don’t want to disrespect you but do you think this is the right time to eat?!”, Yerin stood up and slammed the table, shocking the four of the youngsters. 

“I could understand Eunha… why she hid her disease, and earlier was just the insecure me. But why are you saying that you want to leave all of a sudden? Is Gfriend that weak?” Yerin was getting red, preventing her anger from shooting up. 

Sowon stared at her for a few seconds, then suggested her to just sit down and eat.

“Don’t freaking tell me that we have to eat because the moment you told us you were sick of this… of us… I freaking lost my appetite”

Aside from earlier, this was the first time the members saw Yerin gruntling in fury. There was an obvious fierceness in her face, and that scared them. 

It wasn’t the same case for Sowon though as she just carried on chewing her last spoonful of rice. When she finished, she put down her chopsticks and spoon, rose from her seat and left the kitchen. That pissed off Yerin more than ever, thus she followed her to the living room. The rest of the members left their food and did the same.

“Why are you shutting the door? Can’t you face us with your reasons?”, Yerin was chasing Sowon, as the latter chose to continually ignore her. 

“Sowon-unnie… Yerin-unnie, stop fighting…”, Yewon was tearing up as she was latching on to Sinb, who was sobbing as well.

Eunha, who was originally weakening due to her illness, was having a hard time seeing her friends and sisters engage in a one-sided heated argument. Yuju assisted her while having a hard time herself. 

“Unnie!”

As Yerin yelled at the peak of her lungs, Sowon turn around and faced her. She was wearing this insulting face — a smirk plastered on her lips and her eyebrows furrowing. 

“Reasons?”, she was snapping her fingers as if she was recalling memories. “Reasons… you want me to enumerate them?”, she closed the distance between her and Yerin. It was the first time the latter truly felt intimidated by her unnie’s height.

“Nothing good comes out of being in a group wherein you don’t get recognized”, her heavy emphasis on every word hit every member’s hearts. “I learned that the hard way… and of course, all of you wouldn’t understand”, she stepped back to get a better view of everybody else. 

“Yerin, you’re the variety star of our group. You always get to attend shows as guest or emcee… you have collaborations”, her eyes were just penetrating into Yerin’s.

“Eunha… everything blew up when you cut your hair. Everyone noticed you more, they love you more… giving you OSTs and collaborations every now and then. Even with your illness, you’ll probably still do well”, she flashed a smile as she was stating so. 

“Yuju, how do I even start? You’re considered as the golden member… people even confuse you with the role of leader. I guess my presence isn’t really that strong after all”, she rubbed the back of her head and chuckled.

“Sinb, the great dancer, also a good singer… beautiful and has a striking personality”, she looked at Sinb before moving on to Umji and continued, “Umji… our sweet maknae who’s getting recognized now. A beautiful being with an angelic voice… English skills”, she looked down and suddenly she felt tears streaming down her cheeks.

“And me?”, she was clenching her fists. 

“Unnie… you know how much we appreciate you. You’re our eldest unnie, our leader…”, Sinb spoke.

“You won’t understand, Hwang Eunbi. I did not train for that leadership appreciation”, the eldest sternly replied. 

“Then!”, Eunha broke off from Yuju’s assistance and walked towards Sowon. A tiny girl she is as compared to the eldest, but she wasn’t fazed as she had to know the answers.

“What about that day I told you we should disband? You reacted violently, was that all for nothing?” 

Sowon averted her gaze, and responded, “I thought I could endure, but looks like I couldn’t. Disbandment is a heavy topic, something that would affect us all, but I don’t want that. You five have your own lives, talents, you could survive even without me… I will quit because I am this group’s weakest link”

Yerin was bothered by everything. She knew her unnie felt such way but she never gave up. It was infuriating, seeing Sowon act like that. She slapped her hard, enough to leave a mark on their eldest’s cheek. 

“Stop acting like that. You know we can’t survive without you! Weakest link? You are not, you are our source of strength!”

Veins were popping out of Yerin’s neck, as the youngsters were surprised about her sudden action.

Sowon cupped her swollen cheek, but instead of frowning like a normal person, she started giggling. Her little and short giggles gradually shifted to a hysterical and eerie laughter. 

“And so? Cripple then, because your source of strength will now leave”

Sowon smirked with that hanging response as she stared into their souls. The rest of the members felt hurt and frozen; the eldest left the dorm, not minding how deep she has punctured a hole in their hearts and their relationship.