Chapter 12: Two-thirds

Season of Gfriend


It was Gfriend’s fourth day in their mind boggling situation, a fine morning for the three of the members to gather in a light breakfast. There was an unseasonable mood among them, to be honest, but that may be because of the peculiar events that occured to them. 

When Yerin woke up last night, Yuju was at bliss. It was just a blessing to have her meet the eldest unnies at the same day. She’s met Sowon at the astral plane after she went to Eunha’s doctor and found out some details about her illness. Speaking of the bunny, she didn’t come home yesterday. When Yerin woke up at the room where the maknaes’ physical bodies were lying as well, Eunha’s wasn’t present. Yerin noticed this, and asked Yuju. She just replied with a statement of half a lie and half a truth, “She woke up and had to go somewhere”. 

Yuju felt bad not telling her unnies about Eunha’s condition, but she was not in the position to speak for her, so she just zipped her lip.

Few sips from orange juice - that’s the sound reverberating within their dining hall. Everyone was silent, focused on their food. Yuju couldn’t stomach the silence any further, so she stepped up and talked. 

“Yerin-unnie, do you mind telling us what happened with you?”

The second eldest smiled at her as she put down her chopsticks. Yerin grabbed herself a glass of water, gulping it in two shots and exhaled a deep breath. 

“Not at all”, she responded. 

Yuju could see the joy in her unnie’s eyes. She has been hiding a lot of pain from her members, Yuju could tell that, but now it seemed as though those worries were gone. Yerin held Yuju’s hand and recalled to her experience. 

“I met my personalities, there were many of them”, she started off lightly, Sowon and Yuju were all ears on her. 

“It was there when I realized how much I’ve lost my sense of self just to please others”, she looked down and slightly grinned. 

“It was also there when I regained my self”, Yerin could hear voices inside her head… her personalities, whispering how thankful they are that she survived Truthfully, it was her own voice telling her she worked hard. 

The tallest members could not really catch on to what exactly happened as Yerin’s descriptions were pretty vague, but what mattered is that she ‘s back. Yerin is back, and seemingly brighter than ever. 

“Oh, Yuna, Sojung-unnie, did you experience the same experiences… I don’t know how to label them, hallucinations? Dreams?”, Yerin asked out of nowhere, though it wasn’t really farfetched as it would make sense that everyone would be experiencing the same stuff, that’s what Yerin thought. 

Silence befall on Sowon and Yuju, searching within them how to properly respond. 

“I apparently didn’t”, Yuju said.

“I didn’t as well, I was stuck in the astral realm until Yuju saw me ”, Sowon stated. 

Like a porcelain doll, Yerin was just blinking at their answers. Part of her insisted that it couldn’t be, especially because she remembered her personalities telling her about the help signal. 

“But… my personalities told me about the help signal, why I went to that place, it’s about we needed help”, Yerin argued, unconvinced that they didn’t go to places as she did. 

“It doesn’t mean that when your personalities, which are you technically, received that  help signal, we are obliged to be under these dreams you’re saying”, Sowon sternly told Yerin in her face, making the latter shut . 

“I… I guess, I’m sorry, I must be tired”, Yerin quietly moved out of her chair and washed her dishes. 

Yuju was scared about how cold Sowon was to Yerin. She always had this intimidating aura, especially when she’s nagging the members, but her tone was just different earlier. It was terrifying.

After what happened, Yuju did the rest of the dishes, and all of them gathered back to the room where the maknaes were resting. It was nearing noon, but their stomachs wouldn’t grumble. What was there was a suffocating silence among the three of them, especially on Yuju since it felt like she had to be the mediator between the eldest unnies. 

Their eyes shifted from Yewon to Sinb, looking for the slightest changes in their positions, any irregularities in their breathing pattern and all that. They monitored them closely. 

As they did so, the maknae of the three occasionally stole glances at Yerin only to catch her stealing glances at Sowon. Yerin felt like the eldest was upset with her and she doesn’t like that. After she resolved this conflict in herself, she had to reflect this change in her interaction with other people. 

Running inside the milky-white figure were words on how to open up a conversation, but before she could speak up, Sowon took the lead.

“I’m sorry for earlier, Yerin”, the thin yet warm hands of Sowon intertwined with Yerin’s. She smiled to her and continued, “Unnie is just exhausted, okay?”

Yerin was surprised with the sudden turn of events, as well as Yuju, but she nodded anyway. It was unsettling at first, but she just accepted the flow guaranteed that there would peace inside her mind. 

“Okay unnie”, the second eldest smiled in return, and looked at Yuju to give the same look. She could sense her unnie’s internal bliss, which settled her mind at least. 

Few minutes later, they noticed small movements from Sinb’s fingers — they were twitching! They saw it as a sign of hope and a good future to come. Perhaps the two maknaes will wake up soon, and Eunha will come back as well. 

“Where could she be tho? It’s weird that she hasn’t contacted us yet”, Yerin stated, implying her worry for their bunny. 

The other half of the 97-liners couldn’t keep from biting her fingers. Beads of sweat were forming at the sides of her forehead, and they were annoyingly sticking to her fringe. She was anxious about Eunha’s condition, and she had to keep it a secret for now.

They were checking on the maknaes still, when the doorbell rang. Someone was at the door. 

“I’ll check it”, Sowon volunteered. 

The other two girls tailed her, also anticipating of who the person might be. It could be Eunha, or it could be their manager. 

When the door swung open, a short figure showed up — Eunha, it was their bunny who came back to dorm. 

The bobbed girl couldn’t hide her surprise when she witnessed Sowon. Her memories of her astral body suddenly vanishing rushed in, causing her tears to fall. 

“Sowon-unnie, you’re safe”, she was trying to smile while warm tears were streaming down her cheeks. As she finally entered the dorm, and hugged the tallest, she saw Yerin and Yuju. 

“Yerin-unnie…”, her soft voice struck the doll’s heart. 

Eunha was struggling to keep the embrace, especially when Yerin joined the two. It was a pretty touching moment, but Yuju denied herself from hugging her friend. Instead, she just uttered the words, “Welcome home… Jung Eunbi”. 

She smiled.