Cold Strawberry Fields

The Month Before Yuletide

"Forward!" A war cry was heard from the field. "Forward my brothers and sisters!!"

"Yeah! Come on, my family! My family!!" Sejeong yelled from the back.

The other soldiers wondered of Sejeong but they couldn't be distracted. The setting was cold, the enemy was many, and it was only once chance to fight throughout this day. The enemy and their team assaulted, fighting towards freedom througout a winter day.

Kim Sejeong was one of the soldiers in the Korean Army. She was skilled and she always swore to never die in the field. But then, how could she die?

She maybe skilled...but she was a dorky soldier at that.

"Ouch! Ouch!" Sejeong tripped onto snow as the rest of her fellow soldiers assaulted.

"Master Sejeong, are you okay?!" Hana, another fellow soldier, huffed and helped her.

"Go! I'll catch up!" Sejeong yelled.

The snow fell in sync with the artillery showering upon the heavens. Gunshots and bloodshed were everywhere as Sejeong got back to her feet and fought, killing enemy after enemy. Despite the weather conditions and the enemy, Sejeong and her fellow soldiers were willing to fight for their country.

After a long time of shoots and shivers, it was victory. Sejeong may have fallen on the snow twice because of tripping herself but she got up and cheered. 

Even if that battle was won, the war wasn't over. Nonetheless, they evacuated back to their base and had their victory cheer there.

"Long live the Republic!" Hana cheered.

"Long live the Republic!" They all said back, raising their guns a bit.

All of them got some paper and tore them to pieces, turning it as little confetti, like the snow. Sojin, another tall soldier, wondered of Sejeong, to why she didn't do anything.

"Where's your piece of paper?" Sojin asked.

"Huh? I don't have one." Sejeong said.

"What do you mean? Now what's that supposed to be?!" Sojin asked as she saw a piece by Sejeong's pocket.

"Don't touch it." Sejeong slapped her hand and revealing it. "How could I tear my source of strength, my family?"

It was a picture of her and Nayoung, with their kids Mina and Hyeyeon. Sejeong remembered her family on the city. It almost pains her to be far from them every year. They were her source of her good emotions. That's why she always swore not to die in war so thar she'll always see them.

And with Christmas around the corner, she was persevered to live to be in the arms of her family again.

A beep was heard again and they all went back to their utility vehicles. They were given instructions of the enemy line by their border and they must prevent them from invading anymore territories.

They got down the forest and scattered themselves, blending within the snow. Sejeong got to the frozen marsh and crouched and crept. She saw Japanese soldiers and Sejeong aimed her gun at a soldier in front. She quacked many times, sending a sign to Sojin by the east as she threw a grenade.

It was a said ambush towards the enemy and it worked well. More grenades were thrown and Sejeong assaulted, the other soldiers joining in by her back as they come face to face with the enemies once more.

From the marshes to little parts of the forest, Sejeong and her fellow soldiers made their attack assured and swift. Sejeong sighed of the ambiance of war again as she destroyed every enemy she sees. As she wiped out her part of the battle, she got to a tree and sat there. Sejeong looked everywhere and aimed her gun wherever her gaze took. She sighed as her eyes were getting droopy.

She yawned and her eyes closed, darkness greeting her vision.

+++

"Mommy~!!"

Nayoung was running around the house as a baby Mina and baby Hyeyeon were out and about like charged RCs. Nayoung huffed and got the both of them with her strategic way of thinking, almost manifested from Sejeong.

She wondered. How was her girlfriend out there at a time of war?

"Mommy." Mina spoke cutely. "When is Daddy coming home?"

"Aigoo, she'll come home soon."

“Is she coming home this Christmas, Mommy?” Hyeyeon asked too.

“Of course she will.” Nayoung said.

Although the inevitability of Sejeong' return was there, she couldn’t ruin the vibes of the children. They were still too young to understand that their Daddy has offered her life for the country. If one was a soldier, one is already aware of the consequences that might happen within a field filled with enemies of unfamiliar faces. If luck was on the side, victory would prevail. Otherwise there would be bloodshed, especially the loss of life as we know it.

Now how could a dorky mother even sum that up and tell it to her babies?

“Aigoo…you two want ice cream?” Nayoung spoke.

Mina and Hyeyeon nodded and went to their playhouse Sejeong built for them. Nayoung served them ice cream all while she had a thought in mind.
She prays Sejeong can come home in one piece and return in time for Christmas.

+++

“Sejeong?”

“Yah Kim Sejeong, wake up! Think about your family. Would you not want to see them again this year?”

That question made her jolt up and sneeze. Hana and Sojin got her tissues and Sejeong blows by her nose. She also wrapped herself tighter around the thick blanket as she asked about the war.

“It’s over. We won.” Hana said.

“And you had to sleep by a tree, Sejeong. I’m shook as the rest of us. How could the enemy thought you were dead?” Sojin said.

“Hahaha…I sleep so deeply people would think I was a dead mannequin.” Sejeong said and she sneezed again.

They all laughed. Sejeong looked around their base and it was almost empty. She wondered. “Where are the others?”

“They’ve left back to their homes. After the victory party, our Commander gave us our bonuses and lets us off for the holidays.” Sojin said. “Yours is right here and we got twice the amount for leading the teams to victory.”

“And we had to stay here because you were knocked out for three days. You were like a frozen mannequin, Sejeong.” Hana added.

She sighed of her funny predicament during the war but she was happy. She was going to celebrate Christmas with her family. She’s going to see her girlfriend and kids again.

“Our loved ones would be informed of our return.” Sojin spoke. “Now get your up, Sejeong. Let’s go to the canteen and have lunch.”

“Yeah. The canteen is serving glazed ham and mashed potatoes. You could also use some chicken soup and hot chocolate.” Hana said and helped Sejeong get up.

Sejeong nodded ad the thought of food made her hungry. Hana and Sojin helped her walk as they went to eat.

+++

Nayoung was at work. Mina and Hyeyeon were picked up by Haebin to school since she was a housewife and a close friend of her and Sejeong. Nayoung was busy with her papers as her phone rang.

“Hello?” Nayoung answered the call.

Miss Kim Nayoung, wife of Cadet Kim Sejeong?

Hearing about her girlfriend, although said in a wrong conception, she felt her soul being taken away. Nonetheless, she answered back. “Y-Yes, ma’am.”

I am pleased to inform you that Cadet Kim Sejeong has paved victory in our war against Japanese invaders. And with respect to the holidays, she gets her bonus and will be off soon.

“Wait a minute…you mean she’s returning home?” Nayoung asked excitedly.

Yes, ma’am.

“Thank you so much!” Nayoung spoke formally beyond her excitement. “Have a good day.”

She hung up and celebrated on her cubicle. She danced and squealed. She even got her picture frame of her family and she hugged it close to her heart.

She could cry in joy. She was going to see her precious Sejeong again.

“Nayoung?”

Nayoung gasped and stopped as Sally glimpsed at her from her neighboring cubicle. Nayoung could only smile and share her great news. “My girlfriend is returning from the military.”

“Really?” Sally was as excited at her.

“Isn’t Sojin serving for the military too?” Nayoung asked back.

And the timing was impeccable as Sally's phone rang. Nayoung knew where this was going and she was excited for her. Sally went out to answer her call as Nayoung checked her calendar.

“Just in time for Christmas…” Nayoung smiled.

And with that, she decided to initiate some plans.

+++

Nayoung got back home and Haebin also got back with the children. Nayoung was thankful to Haebin for picking them up.

“I heard from Mimi that Sejeong is coming back from the military.” Haebin began.

“Yes. But not so loud, Haebin. I want to surprise the kids of this.” Nayoung whispered.

“Got it.” Haebin agreed.

“I got a message from Sejeong’s Commander that she’ll come home for the holidays, maybe on Christmas Eve. With that…I plan to make a wonderful dinner.”

Haebin thought it was a very good idea. But then, seeing and knowing Nayoung for so long, she realized something.

She was a tall clumsy idiot.

“What do you need for the dinner, Nayoung? How about we let Mimi and I help you?” Haebin suggested.

"It's fine." Nayoung said. "I'll get everything under control."

Who was Haebin to wreck Nayoung's want of surprising Sejeong? She could only chuckle and nod. "Alright. But do call Mimi and if you need help."

Nayoung nodded. Haebin got the chance to bid goodgye to the family. Nayoung got back inside and her kids were playing.

"Mommy, join us for tea." Mina spoke.

"Have a cookie, Mommy." Hyeyeon offered.

Nayoung nodded and decided to join in the little game and have fun with the kids.

+++

It was a day before Christmas and the day of Sejeong's return. Nayoung had gotten herself busy as soon as she got her bonus and Christmas vacation. With that, she initiates her plan to decorate their home and prepare dinner.

Mina and Hyeyeon wanted to help since they were excited with the holidays. From placing streamers, stockings, and to decorating the Christmas tree, Nayoung had a tacky time because of the trouble but a fun time because she was with her children.

Then again, it would've been so much better if Sejeong returned sooner.

"Mommy, I'm hungry~~" Mina pouted.

"I have cookies~~" Nayoung got a tray and Mina and Hyeyeon got to pick their favorite shaped cookies.

Nayoung got them their milk and ate on their little table. As Nayoung saw that her kids were a bit calm, she went to the kitchen to get dinner ready.

She had planned to cook some glazed ham and her version of mashed potatoes. She'll also bake a red velvet cake decorated with vanilla frosting and Christmas figures in fondant. But she'll also cook pancakes, chicken, and pizza, Sejeong's favorites.

Nayoung bought the ingredients for all foods a while ago and was ready to get everything ready. But then, she froze.

She didn't know how to cook nor bake. 

"Meh, how hard can it be?" Nayoung shrugged and started.

+++

It was chaos and Nayoung could facepalm herself for all the work she did.

The cake looked undercooked, the mashed potatoes looked like liquid, and the glazed ham was burnt. She wasted some ingredients and she hasn't started in cooking Sejeong's favorite foods and it was only a few hours till dinner.

She started to make the pancakes. She got the batter mixed right and cooked a ladle full in a pan. She flipped it in a pan and was damned. 

"The ? Where did the pancake go?" Nayoung wondered.

She cooks anoher piece and flipped it again, only to get the same result. Nayoung was confused when the pancakes fell on her head. Nayoung was stressed as she wiped it off and gave up.

"Man...maybe I can cook the chicken?" Nayoung huffed and got some processed chicken drummets. 

She got a pan with oil and fried the pieces simultaneously.

"Mommy~~"

Nayoung rushed by the little table and there was Hyeyeon who spilled herself with milk. She cried. Mina saw her twin's look and cried too.

"Aigoo..." Nayoung huffed and wiped Hyeyeon off. "... Be careful, my baby."

"Mommy...what's that burning smell?" Mina sniffled and sniffed. "And you smell like pancakes, Mommy."

Nayoung cussed and got back to the drummets and they were burnt like coal. The pan was also on fire as Nayoung hissed and turned it off. Nayoung sighed as the kitchen became an aftermath of a natural calamity.

Nayoung decided to finish the cake off. Well, it was still cake but not what she expected it to be. Nayoung could only prepare an unperfectly cooked cake and boxes of pizza as she calls the delivery guy. Nayoung sighed as a knock on the door was heard.

"I'll get it, Mommy." She heard Mina. "Imonie Haebin~ Imonie Mimi~"

Nayoung got out of the kitchen and Haebin and Mimi visited. They got to hug the children as Nayoung was obliged to meet them inside. Haebin noticed her look and she worried.

"Why do you have batter on your head?" Haebin asked. "What happened?"

"Heol..." Mimi got to the kitchen. "...a storm passed here, huh?"

"Very funny, YalMimi." Nayoung huffed. "I guess I failed a bit on the dinner."

"Nayoung..." Haebin spoke. "...are you really sure you don't need help?"

"She got a cake cooked at least and..." Mimi spoke and inhaled. "...yep. That's it."

"Well..." Nayoung looked down. "...I really need help."

"Don't worry. How about I clean the place, Mimi will keep the kids company, while you fix yourself and come back to help?" Haebin said.

Nayoung nodded and went to shower.

+++

Nayoung and Haebin were in the kitchen. Despite Nayoung's failure, Haebin somehow helped her by improvising her cooking. They got the char off of the ham and sliced them nicely, recooked the cake, redecorated it, and put it in the fridge. Nayoung tries to imitate what Haebin was doing towards the chicken and it worked. For the mashed potatoes, Haebin added more potatoes for volume and turned it into a delicious casserole instead. Nayoung cooked the pancakes carefully and did well.

For Mimi, she was having fun with the children and became the sacrificial pancake of the their fun. She also cleaned the living room and let the children join in to help. With all the help, Nayoung managed to settle everything she planned for without having to worry of the children too.

The place had gotten clean, decorated, and filled with the ambiance of Christmas. Mimi got the jackets Nayoung bought for the kids as she got them to take a bath, fix themselves, and let them wear the cute themed jackets. Nayoung and Haebin got the table set with delicious food as Nayoung got herself ready.

Nayoung could cry as everything went well. Haebin and Mimi shared a kiss and Nayoung hugged them both.

"You two have been my saviors. Thank you all so much." Nayoung huffed.

"No problem, Nayoung." Haebin said. "Anything for a friend."

"If you want to repay us, maybe you and Sejeong can join us for Christmas dinner tomorrow. Bring the kids too." Mimi grinned.

"Okay!" Nayoung grinned. "Thanks again."

Nayoung got a sack full of gifts and got the couple's gifts. Haebin and Mimi thanked Nayoung and promised to open it tomorrow. Nayoung saw her kids in their jackets and she could ogle of their cuteness.

"Kids, say goodbye to your aunties." Nayoung said.

Mina and Hyeyeon tackled the two for a hug as Haebin and Mimi gave pecks. The couple bid goodbye to them and Mina and Hyeyeon wowed of their home.

"Mommy, does this mean Daddy will come home?" Mina asked.

"Secret." Nayoung winked, just in time for the delivery guy to arrive. 

Nayoung got the door open and froze as a beautiful soldier wearing a Santa costume smiled as she got the boxes of pizza by her hand.

"Daddy's home~~" Hyeyeon smiled.

"Daddy~" Mina cheered.

The kids ran and Sejeong did Santa's laugh and hugged and lifted her children. They kissed Sejeong' cheek and Nayoung cried lightly of the precious sight before her.

Sejeong smiled and got them down, going inside and placing the boxes of pizza by the table and got to Nayoung, spreading her arms. "Ho ho ho. Where's my honey?"

Nayoung sniffled and tackled Sejeong for a hug, adding a kiss on the lips. The kids cooed innocently and Nayoung leaned her forehead onto Sejeong's looking at her precious eyes.

"I missed you, you idiot." Nayoung huffed. "I thought you wouldn't come home in time."

"I wouldn't miss anything to be with my family for the world." Sejeong smiled and wiped Nayoung's tears.

"Daddy, Daddy, I got a drawing of you and Mommy." Mina nudged her suit and showed a drawing. 

"Daddy, Daddy, look how big I am." Hyeyeon showed her height by the wall. "I'm big, right Mommy?

"Aigoo, let us see." Sejeong and Nayoung spoke and carried their children. "But first, let's have dinner."

+++

The cold winter rained down upon the city like snowflakes touching precious strawberries by a field. Sejeong was happy with her moment back with her family and her two children. They loved the meals, the games they played afterwards, and especially the time of giving gifts.

Hyeyeon and Mina gave little gifts to their parents which meant a lot to Sejeong and Nayoung. Sejeong and Nayoung got them their favorite toys as Nayoung got another box for Sejeong.

"Merry Christmas, honey." Nayoung smiled.

Sejeong got the box open and the children wowed. Sejeong had a big grin. Nayoung got her a box of Lego.

"My favorite~~ gosh I haven't built anything since I got to war." Sejeong smiled and hugged Nayoung. "Thank you, honey."

Nayoung wondered of her gift from Sejeong. Sejeong was silent, joining the kids in building her Lego set.

"My gift?" Nayoung asked.

Sejeong smiled and told her to stand up. Nayoung wondered when Sejeong knelt in front of her, she got a box and opened it, showing it to Nayoung.

"Merry Christmas, honey." Sejeong smiled. "Will you stop being my girlfriend, be my wife and marry me?"

Nayoung gasped, almost crying for the second time. She nodded and Sejeong became the happiest woman alive.

Sejeong's commitment to serve for the country was a reson to why Nayoung and her never married but it didn't stop them to have their family with their two precious children. But now, Sejeong is released from her duty and decided to propose on this wonderful day.

Nayoung got her ring on her finger as Sejeong had hers on her own. They shared their hugs and kisses and their children found the sight lovely. They shared their hugs as Sejeong decided to tell her story to the kids.

The place was a little dim but the fireplace kept them warm. Sejeong began telling her story to the kids and Nayoung. It was a wonderful night of stories when Hyeyeon got to the window and looked at the moon.

"It's Santa Claus!"

They all got to the window and wowed of the sight. Nayoung and Sejeong kissed as they welcome this season as a couple and complete as a family.

For Sejeong, it was a delight in the cold strawberry field.