The Christmas Sandwich

The Month Before Yuletide

“Chaewon, please notice me~!!”

That yell rung around a certain classroom. Eunchae was utterly pissed of that call, especially of the one doing that call.

“Aigoo, here we go again…” Yeoreum sighed.

“Yoo Yeunjung, calm your !” Dayoung exclaimed.

Yeunjung couldn’t as she got to a seat next to Eunchae and gave her a sandwich. Eunchae wondered what sandwich as she was damned that she got her favorite.

“Quezo de Bola and tomato, just how you like it.” Yeunjung grinned.

“Thanks.” Eunchae mumbled and ate some.

“I made that for you, Chaewon.” Yeunjung grinned again.

“I can see that.” Eunchae munched.

Yeunjung felt encouraged that she decided to sit next to her. “There’s a post-it by the wrapper.”

Eunchae read it and she could almost choke on her sandwich. Yeunjung reacted to get a bottle of water and Eunchae thanked her as she drank.

“So…is it a yes?” Yeunjung asked.

“No.” Eunchae answered as she continued to eat.

Yeunjung frowned but she still sat next to her and was eager to try again. Eunchae sighed as she welcomes another day with the said dynamic admirer.

+++

“Eighteen days till Christmas, mofos!” Yoojung cheered.

“Language.” Yeoreum coughed.

“We should have a Christmas Party!” Doyeon suggested.

“Hmmmm…venue?” Sungyeon asked.

“Penguin Café.” Mina suggested as she hugged Sohye.

“Okay.” Sohye agreed. “I’ll make the arrangements.”

“Food?” Sungyeon asked.

“I’ll hand off some desserts.” Sohye added.

“I’ll whip up a special meal.” Dayoung said. “I’ll ask Eunseo-unnie to help me.”

“Can you cook meat feet?” Yewon asked.

“Beef stew~” Mina spoke out.

“It’s a surprise, okay? I’ll assure you it’ll be delicious.” Dayoung winked.

“SANDWICHES!”

Eunchae arrived as a happy Yeunjung was following her. The others sighed and Sungyeon took note of that. “Alright, Yeunjung. You’ll bring sandwiches.”

“Huh? For what?” Yeunjung asked.

“Our circle of friends decided to have a Christmas Party at Penguin Café. We’re giving roles for food and you will be handling sandwiches.”

“Okay.” Yeunjung nodded.

“Please add PB&J, Yeunjung. Cheese and tomato are already becoming dry on my taste buds.” Yoojung said.

“But Chaewon likes them.” Yeunjung spoke.

“Just make some while making Eunchae's favorite. And also add BLT, like I loved that BLT that you shared.” Doyeon said.

“Make times two of all the sandwiches.” Eunchae mumbled.

“Say no more, m’lady. I’ll do as you ask.” Yeunjung nodded.

“Aigoo…young love.” Sungyeon said.

“So…does that score me a chance to win your heart?” Yeunjung asked.

“Still no.” Eunchae mumbled.

Dodaeng and Sungyeon reacted for Eunchae’s savageness. Yewon went to comfort Yeunjung as she frowned.

“Anyways, let’s proceed with the decorations.” Sungyeon averted that reaction and focused. “Any volunteers?”

“I’ll put streamers in the Café.” Sohye said.

“I’ll help you, Penguin.” Mina added.

“Doyeon and I will get a Christmas tree.” Yoojung said.

“But we don’t have one at the dorm.” Doyeon spoke.

“Of course, we don’t. Which is why you will be the Christmas tree.” Yoojung pointed and everyone laughed hard.

“Be thankful that I love you.” Doyeon huffed. “We’ll buy a cheap one.”

“Yewon and I will bring lights.” Sungyeon jotted down. “Yeoreum and Dayoung?”

“An inflatable snowman.” Yeoreum addressed. “We’ll borrow from Dawon-unnie.”

“Eunchae and Yeunjung?” Sungyeon asked.

“Why the two of us?” Eunchae asked.

“Because decorations will be brought by pairs. And in your case, you’ll have to pair up with Yeunjung.” Sungyeon answered. “So what will you bring?”

“Christmas stockings.” Eunchae said.

“Plus a Rudolph nightlight.” Yeunjung added and wrapped an arm around Eunchae. “Will you buy some stockings? I’ll come with you.”

“I don’t have another option, do I?” Eunchae asked.

“No, you do not.” Everyone said.

“Exchanging gifts~~” Doyeon addressed their last agenda.

“Let’s make it simple. Since most of us here are couples, we’ll just give each other presents.” Sungyeon said.

“Yes.” Sohye and Doyeon agreed.

“Yey~ I always wanted to give you a present.” Yewon said to Sungyeon.

“Nice.” Yeoreum and Dayoung hi-fived.

“But Yeunjung and I are not a couple, not even Dayoung and Yeoreum.” Eunchae addressed.

“We’re bros but you two are destined.” Dayoung said.

“Soon to be a couple, Chaewon.” Yeunjung said. “And don’t worry. You’ll have the best gift ever.”

Eunchae laughed that off. Although Yeunjung was serious, Eunchae thought it wad utterly annoying. It even made herself question to how the dynamic dragon had a crush on her and how she had courted her for a long time that Eunchae could hardly count the years.

“Okay. Meeting adjourned.” Sungyeon finalized the list.

They finished the whole meeting and went out for lunch. Eunchae would’ve gone with the others but then, Yeunjung joined them.

“Let’s go, Chaewon-ah.” Yeunjung smiled and lent a hand.

“Yeah, yeah…I’m coming.” Eunchae sighed and followed.

+++

Yeunjung was pacing around the practice room with a sandwich on her hand. Dayoung could only watch her as she played her triangle in sync with Yeunjung's footsteps.

“Stop that, Dayoung.” Yeunjung stopped.

“Sorry. I can’t help it.” Dayoung chuckled. “Is that for Eunchae?”

Yeunjung nodded and got to the door as Dayoung sighed and decided to practice her part of the song. Yeunjung was still by the door as Eunchae arrived with Yewon and Sungyeon. Yeunjung was excited as Yewon and Sungyeon made way and Eunchae was tackled by a tight hug.

“Not again…” Eunchae sighed. “…wassup’.”

“Hey, Chaewon-ah. Here. I got you your favorite sandwich.” Yeunjung smiled.

Eunchae accepted it instantly and made her run inside the practice room. Yeunjung would follow like a little puppy as they all got inside to practice a musical piece.

Being the vocalists, they were to present a song number for the party while the rest of them will present a dance number. Yeunjung was really happy for this opportunity since she gets to sing with Eunchae. For the little chipmunk, she was getting annoyed and awkward with Yeunjung, sometimes making her lose focus during the practice.

Nonetheless, the practice went well. All of them called it a day as Yeunjung stopped Eunchae. Eunchae could flip out but she faced Yeunjung. “What?”

“There’s this restaurant that sells chipmunk-themed food. I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me.” Yeunjung smiled.

“Hmm…you did get the fact that I love chipmunks but no. Sorry.” Eunchae said again and went off.

Yeunjung sighed dejectedly as she watched Eunchae leave. It was utterly disappointing for Yeunjung's part to be rejected but she was still trying.

“Aigoo…maybe next time.” She mumbled.

+++

Eunchae was walking around campus and heading towards the vending machine to get a sandwich. She got a 1000-won bill and gasped to see that the cheapest sandwich was twice the amount she had.

“Aw, man!” Eunchae hissed. “And I had to be hungry.”

“Looking for me?” Yeunjung appeared out of nowhere, shocking Eunchae.

“No.” She said and Yeunjung laughed it off.

“What are you doing?” Yeunjung asked.

“Getting a sandwich.” Eunchae spoke as she scuffled her hand inside her pocket.

“The sandwiches in these machines are small and expensive. Don’t worry. I got you.” Yeunjung handed a lunchbox. “I made PB&J, BLT, and your favorite.”

Eunchae was lost for words. Yeunjung handed it closer and Eunchae accepted it.

“T-Thanks…” Eunchae said.

“No probs.” Yeunjung winked.

Eunchae thought she’d be free from Yeunjung’s antics but as she decided to go, Yeunjung followed. Eunchae sighed again. They walked side by side when Mina and Sohye saw them.

“Is this real?” Sohye was smiling.

“Oh no. We just met today.” Eunchae defended.

“You look good together.” Mina grinned and Yeunjung felt excited.

“Haha…don’t encourage please…” Eunchae spoke.

“Yeunjung.” Sohye called and got a note. “What the are you doing leaving this at the classroom?”

Yeunjung checked it out and it was her plan for Eunchae's gift. She was shocked and decided to keep it inside her ID compartment so that it won’t get lost.

“What’s wrong with you?” Eunchae asked as she noticed Yeunjung all dazed.

“Well…just thinking of you, my dear.” Yeunjung winked, causing Mina and Sohye to coo.

“That is one hell of a progress, Yeunjung. I would’ve always thought you will forever be the third wheel together with the cosmic idiots Dayoung and Yeoreum.” Sohye joked.

“Yeah. You usually don’t know how to fall in love, Yeunjung.” Mina added.

“Are y'all ganging against me? And who says that I’m a third wheel with the head and ing summer, huh?” Yeunjung spat.

Eunchae could chuckle lightly of Yeunjung. Mina saw that and shared it to Sohye through a whisper. The couple chuckled at each other.

“Why don’t you two join us for lunch?” Sohye offered.

“Okay.” Eunchae and Yeunjung nodded.

+++

Eunchae and Yeunjung sat together and Mina and Sohye sat together on the other end. Eunchae was utterly curious as Mina was feeding Sohye. Sohye did the same to Mina, adding a kiss by her nose, making Mina blush cutely.

“You’re adorable, my cinnamon roll.” Sohye grinned.

“You are, my squishy penguin~” Mina inched closer, almost kissing her.

“I envy you two.” Eunchae mumbled.

“Well…you won’t be envious if you accept my love, Chaewon.” Yeunjung said as she gave Eunchae extra ketchup. “Here. Put some on your favorite sandwich for extra flavor.”

“The queen of the third wheels ended her reign.” Doyeon spoke as she and Yoojung sat with the four of them.

“True.” Eunchae mumbled as she ate.

“Chaewon-ah. I love you and all but don’t tolerate that tall idiot.” Yeunjung said. “She’s like an accident prone out of a redwood tree. Yoojung was right that you need to be the tree.”

Everyone was shocked. Yeunjung stole a peck on Eunchae’s cheek before running for her life as Doyeon was chasing her like a mad ostrich.

“Aigoo, our third wheeler is a lover girl~~” Yoojung cooed.

“Don’t encourage her.” Eunchae sighed and ate the last of her sandwich.

+++

Eunchae was eating as she stopped by the building of the junior high students, meeting a friend who looked like a tadpole, all while teaching her Math.

“You and your sandwiches, unnie.” Somyi mumbled. “Can I have some?”

“No. Just have this chocolate then.” Eunchae said and Somyi accepted the bar.

“Kwon Chaewon, what the are you doing feeding my tadpole?!” A short blondie from the high school department came.

“Yebinnie~” Somyi went to hug her.

Baek Yebin was a short person older than them. Eunchae sighed of the couple and went off when Yebin stopped her.

“I feed her chocolates, okay? Don’t do the work for me.” Yebin said.

“The hell, unnie...you, Somyi, and I are friends.” Eunchae spoke.

“Warning, kid.” Yebin added.

“Chaewon-ah!"

“The ing .” Eunchae mumbled as Yeunjung got to them.

“What brings you here, Yoo?” Yebin asked.

“Is she your girlfriend, unnie?” Somyi asked then greeted. “Hi, unnie. I’m Ahn Somyi.”

“Nice meeting you. And hey, sunbaenim~” Yeunjung greeted the couple. “And yes, Somyi. I’m Yoo Yeunjung, your Chaewon-unnie's girlfriend.”

Yebin was shocked as Somyi clapped so innocently. Eunchae felt damned that she excused the two of them. Somyi and Yebin could only wave goodbye as Eunchae grabbed Yeunjung's arm and pulled her somewhere so that they could talk.

“What in the world, Yeunjung?!” Eunchae huffed.

“What? It’s true! Technically it isn’t but I want to make this relationship work.” Yeunjung pouted.

“No, okay?” Eunchae said. “One, we’re not in an relationship. Two, I don’t have feelings for you and three, I only have love for sandwiches, thanks.”

Eunchae stormed off and Yeunjung asked her to wait but to no avail. Yeunjung sighed then screamed. “Man…but I still love you, Kwon Chaewon!”

+++

Red Velvet's Dumb Dumb played inside the classroom as Dayoung and Yeoreum sang together, getting their voices straight onto Yeunjung's ears. Sohye sighed as she did her homework and Doyeon was busy shopping online for Christmas stuff.

“No , guys. Really…” Yeunjung sighed.

Doyeon joined in with a louder voice and Dayoung and Yeoreum continued to tease Yeunjung. The song ended and Yeoreum and Dayoung faced Yeunjung.

“We saw the little moment back there, Yeunjung.” Dayoung smirked. “And Eunchae had to blow a fuse.”

“What’s wrong with what I said? It’s was just saying that I love her.” Yeunjung pouted.

“Even if the fact that she rejected you for four years hurts?” Dayoung asked and Yeunjung nodded.

“Well that explains Doyeon singing like a atomic bomb.” Yeoreum mumbled.

“That’s because she needs to now that she’s a big time dumb.” Doyeon spoke.

“Hahaha…if one day, Chaewon will finally accept me, you’ll regret it.” Yeunjung said. “Well, I must go and look for her.”

“Yah, Yoo Yeunjung. Help me with this homework!” Sohye spoke before she could go.

“That’s Trigonometry, right?” Yeunjung asked and Sohye nodded. “Ha! Easy! I’ll help you later at home through Discord. I need to go, okay?”

She got out of the classroom as the others were a bit worried. Sohye noticed that and stopped doing her homework.

“You get the gist, right So?” Dayoung asked. “She’s been doing it every day since junior high. It’s almost four years and Eunchae would always say no.”

“We’re worried. A very hyper and happy person like her cannot have her heart broken. It’ll change her and…” Yeoreum spoke.

“…she’ll go on off mode. Like in our elementary days, the time Taeha broke up with her on a Christmas Day then transferred to another school to finish her studies.” Doyeon finished.

“Right. They were a thing in third grade and it took her three years to move on. She even ignored us.” Sohye spoke and everyone cringed with her. “And we couldn’t touch her nor talk to her or else she’ll get provoked.”

“I just hope it won’t happen again.” Dayoung said.

“Yeah. We all hope for that.” Yeoreum added.

+++

In another part of the school, Eunchae gathered up with Mina, Yoojung, Sungyeon, and Yewon. Somehow, Sungyeon also witnessed the event of Eunchae with Yeunjung. Eunchae somehow shared that to everyone and they were speechless.

“Yeunjung can be feisty, I must say.” Sungyeon said. “And you had to blow a fuse towards her.”

“I’m sorry for Yeunjung, okay?” Eunchae began. “It was never an intention to hurt her feelings. I just ignore them because…I heard from the youngsters that Yeunjung had a first love before.”

“Believe me or not, Eunchae. Yeunjung has moved on from that.” Sungyeon grew serious. “Drop that topic off now.”

“Sungyeon, is everything okay?” Yewon comforted her.

“Sohye told me about that, Sungyeon. And I think Hyeyeon and Siyeon told Eunchae of it.” Mina said. “So it’s about time all of us know.”

Sungyeon looked around for any sign of Yeunjung and began to storytell. It shocked Yewon and Yoojung.

“But then, there’s a twist.” Sungyeon said. “When Yeunjung told this to me, she didn’t mention anyone. Meaning, she did have a first love…but we don’t know who.”

“That’s what Sohye said too.” Mina added. “I’m pretty sure Sohye knows but she won’t tell me.”

“Now there’s a mystery to be solved.” Yewon spoke. “Finding out who Yeunjung’s true love is.”

“You read my mind, Yewon.” Eunchae said. “It’s just that this courting thing is blinding her from reality. She doesn’t love me…so I want to do this crap for her.”

“I’m in.” Yoojung said.

“Me too.” Mina added.

“You’re not joining, Mina.” Sungyeon spoke. “You tell Sohye of this and you’ll be over.”

“Why are you saying scary things, Sungyeon-ah?” Yewon grew worried.

“Huh?” Mina was confused but a thought of that worried her. “You kidding?”

“Sungyeon is always serious.” Yewon spoke.

“Just trust me, Mina. Don’t get involved. And let me say that I will join.” Sungyeon looked at Eunchae. "Because I want Yeunjung to stop herself for receiving false hope. It’s going to hurt her.”

Those words triggered Eunchae at one point but she really wanted Yeunjung to stop. “Alright. I’m leading this.”

+++

Yeunjung was sitting by a ramp and sighing sadly. She was by the rooftop, contemplating of herself courting Eunchae for the past four years. The others said that it was too platonic but when one has feelings, you express them. Yeunjung always believed on that and tried, never wanting to give up.

But would it be wasteful if she stops that after those four years? What if she’ll regret and say that she’s an idiot? Because of her impatience, the feeling would be slipped off out of nowhere.

“Yeunjung-unnie~”

“Oh, hey Siyeon.” She greeted and the demonic princess sat next to her. “Where’s Hyeyeon?”

“Still on her class. I ditched mine so…” Siyeon spoke and relax.

“Hahaha…I know you, you little spawn of the devil. What brings you here?” Yeunjung spoke.

“Well… to do myself a favor and to let you do my homework?” Siyeon grinned.

“Ha! Hyeyeon is smart too. Why don’t you ask your ovinaphobic girlfriend?” Yeunjung spoke.

“Well then…” Siyeon spoke. “…who’s your crush again?”

“KWON CHAEWON.” Yeunjung spoke enthusiastically.

“Maybe I can help you in winning her heart.” Siyeon winked. “I heard from Mina-unnie that you got rejected by Eunchae-unnie.”

“Hahaha…it was a sight, huh?” Yeunjung said sarcastically. “Now I thought about it, I won’t need help, thanks. You might become a hindrance because one, you don’t address me as unnie. Two, you’re a spawn of the devil and three, I might end up losing again so no thank you!”

“Ruuuude…but true.” Siyeon admitted. “But can you still help me with my homework? Please, unnie~~”

“Fine…but tell me your favorite sandwich.” Yeunjung said.

“Easy. It’s tuna sandwich. So…Discord later at 7?” Siyeon gleamed.

“Say no more.” Yeunjung nodded.

+++

“I thought you were straight.” Yebin pointed out.

“She was, unnie?” Somyi asked.

Yeunjung happened to meet Yebin and Somyi in one part of the school and the high schooler called Yeunjung to sit with her and Somyi. It then turned out into an interview.

“Before, unnie.” Yeunjung spoke. “But Chaewon got into my heart now.”

“What is it this time?” Eunchae was seen by the distance as Yeunjung was excited.

“Kwon Chaewon, I love you!” Yeunjung gleamed and ran towards her.

“Young love.” Somyi said.

“Yah! Not my sandwich!” Eunchae huffed.

“I won’t do harm on your favorite sandwich. I’m just happy to see you.” Yeunjung smiled.

“Okay.” Eunchae nodded. “Yeunjung, can we talk?”

Yeunjung nodded excitedly and followed Eunchae as they bid goodbye to Yebin and Somyi. Yeunjung and Eunchae got to a spot and talked.

“Yes, Chaewon?” Yeunjung asked.

“I’ve thought about this thing between us.” Eunchae began. “You know, you’re cute and all. I even thought about considering your feelings not because I don’t want to hurt you but it would be nice since…” Eunchae did a gesture with her fingers. “…I like you this bit.”

“It’s something!” Yeunjung smiled. “So is it a yes?”

“I’ll think about it.” Eunchae said.

Yeunjung was so happy she ended up cheering and running around happily, leaving Eunchae. Eunchae found it cute but she could facepalm.

She was going to give the biggest reject of all time to stop Yeunjung but she blew it because she was feeling something.

“No…” Eunchae shook it off. “…I can’t feel that.”

+++

It was a different day and Eunchae grew serious as she waited for classes to be over. As everyone was leaving, Eunchae stayed and called someone. “Yeunjung.”

Yeunjung was excited and smiling as she got closer to Eunchae. Eunchae thought she wouldn’t forgive herself. She was the one that made Yeunjung smile and will also be the person who will wipe it off.

“What is it?” Yeunjung smiled.

“Let me get it straight.” Eunchae said. “You need to stop courting me, Yeunjung. Because by the looks of it, you’re just blinded by it. Those feelings aren’t true.”

“I’m not joking of my feelings towards you, Chaewon. You can’t just say that like I’m some culprit.” Yeunjung defended. “And you said you’d think about it.”

“Shut up for once.” Eunchae said. “Don’t lie that I’m your crush. You have your first love. You had one before we even met.”

“How did you…” Yeunjung was shocked.

“I heard it from the others and I investigated myself. You had your first love by the name of Kim Taeha.”

Yeunjung froze. She swore herself not to get it on her head again. But with Eunchae saying it to her, she cannot hide that fact.

“Well, you’re right. But I’ve moved on. I really love you, Chaewon.” Yeunjung said.

“Stop that, Yeunjung.” Eunchae said directly. “You need to stop. You don’t have to lie to me, especially to yourself. It’s okay if you don’t love me. We’ll always be friends. And in my case, I did say I’ll think about it but I really can’t reciprocate that. I’m sorry, Yeunjung. You can’t love me and you never will.”

It was the last straw. Eunchae felt that she had done it. Yeunjung gulped, almost crying. She sighed and looked at Eunchae.

“Was I really that dumb?” Yeunjung asked.

“Yeunjung…”

“O-Okay…I see. It all makes sense now.” Yeunjung nodded. “I’m sorry. I guess I have been bothersome towards you. I won’t disturb you anymore and do anything stupid which would bother you.” Yeunjung nodded again and stood up. “Forgive me…Eunchae. I’m so sorry.”

Yeunjung went outside, leaving Eunchae. Yeunjung got outside and hastily got to a vending machine, grabbing an energy drink unsuitable for her system and got to her spot at the rooftop, drinking the bitter liquid in one gulp and coughing.

“The hell…why am I even…” Yeunjung sighed and hissed.

ing bull…not my off-mode again...

Yeunjung could hear sleigh bells ringing in her head as she found the sound sickening. Her eyes are starting to droop and her smile vanished, replacing a straight line of a mouth.

Hahaha……what a Christmas season for me…

+++

Sohye was raging herself as she met with the others and a guilty Kwon Chaewon.

“What did you do?” Sohye spoke deadly towards Eunchae.

“Penguin, please…” Mina pleaded and tried to calm her down. “Inner peace, my precious penguin. Inner peace.”

Sohye knew Mina was right and she exhaled. “Yeunjung is back with her off-mode again.”

“What?!” Doyeon gasped as she glared at Eunchae.

“Dodojjyu.” Yoojung tried to calm her too.

Last Christmas, I gave you my heart~ But the very next day, you gave it away~

They wonder of that booming voice. Yeunjung came inside the classroom and got on a different seat close to the windows as she was banging her head while listening to music.

"Not only she's in off-mode. She's also in mood swings mode." Doyeon said.

This year, to save me from tears~ I'll give it to someone special~

"Oh, yeah...I don't have someone special, HAHAHA!!" Yeunjung cackled.

The rest sighed sadly towards their friend. Yeunjung was listening to the same music until she turned it off and faced her friends.

"Good morning, Yeunjung." They all greeted, even Eunchae.

Yeunjung said her greetings one by one towards each of her friends and left Eunchae out. Yeunjung then went back to listening to her music and Eunchae could sigh sadly.

"It's my fault..." She mumbled. "I deserve it..."

She would've been relieved that all the annoyances will be over. But why was she affected of Yeunjung's new persona?

She shouldn't, right?

+++

It was another day and Eunchae was walking towards the vending machine. She got a 2000 won bill from her pocket and bought a sandwich. She got her sandwich and took a bite, sighing sadly.

"Yeunjung made better sandwiches..." Eunchae mumbled as she gulped.

Thinking of Yeunjung made Eunchae clench onto the small sandwich. It was frustration but also longing. It somehow linked towards the time Yeunjung would see her and give her bigger and tastier sandwiches. She missed that moment so much.

Mostly, she missed Yeunjung.

"Eunchae?" She looked up and there was Mina and Sohye.

"Come on. Join with us for lunch." Sohye offered.

Eunchae could only nod and follow them. They got to their table as Eunchae only ordered a drink. Her head turned around a lot of times and Mina and Sohye got the hint.

"Looking for Yeunjung, huh?" Mina asked.

"Yeah..." Eunchae admitted. "...usually, she...brings me sandwiches everyday during lunch." 

"I would've been mad at you for being so naive but I won't...because you didn't mean to. And from the looks of it, you're opening up to Yeunjung." Sohye said.

"I feel guilty for having feelings too late." Eunchae said. "Sohye, Mina, how can I get closer to Yeunjung?"

"Why?" Sohye asked.

"I want to talk to her." Eunchae said.

"When Yeunjung is in her mode, she won't want to talk to anyone. She doesn't want someone to talk to her either." Mina answered. "All we can do is wait for Yeunjung to calm down. Only then we can talk to her."

"Hmmm...I would want to wait but this guilt can't stay forever." Eunchae said. "I want to make up for everything I said wrong...after all she had done for me."

"Try to ask her to let her do your homework." Sohye said. 

"Another thing is to give her chocolate milk and some ramen since those are her favorites." Mina added.

Eunchae took that note and thanked the couple as she went to buy those. She asked them for takeout and got the bag filled with those treats. She got out and went to look for Yeunjung when she saw Hyeyeon and Siyeon.

"Unnie?" Hyeyeon greeted as she asked. "Yeunjung-unnie isn't with you? Usually you guys hang out together."

"Babe...you might..." Siyeon sighed as Eunchae felt the guilt once more.

"Was that...oh my gosh, unnie. I'm so sorry." Hyeyeon apologized. "I didn't mean to."

"I know." Eunchae said. "Do you guys know where she is?"

"Usually she's at the rooftop to relieve herself, unnie. But with her mode, she doesn't want to talk to anyone." Siyeon spoke sadly.

Eunchae was scared as she thought of a provoked Yeunjung. She thought of saving her words for next time but she wanted to give the bag of her favorites to her. Eunchae decided to take the risk. "Is she up there?"

"Yeah. We talked together to her a while ago." Hyeyeon said. "I think it'll take her a while to get down."

Eunchae thanked the couple and ran up the main building. Eunchae climbed a lot of stairs until she got to the rooftop. The breeze blew by her face as she looked around, finally seeing Yeunjung by the broken chairs, listening to music while sleeping.

Eunchae tiptoed and got closer. She was now face to face with Yeunjung as she looked at her sadly, guilt seeping onto her veins because of her words. If she didn't say all those things and rejected Yeunjung, she wouldn't look like a messed up .

Eunchae gulped and puts the bag by Yeunjung's side as she reached for her. Her fingers got to her hair as she pats her head. Eunchae shivered of the cold temperature. 

"What are you doing here?" 

Eunchae stopped as Yeunjung looked at her coldly. Eunchae didn't back away as she pats her head still. Yeunjung didn't shove it off but she did look away. 

"Yeunjung...it's going to snow soon. We need to go inside." Eunchae said.

"Since when did you care?" Yeunjung asked. "And how did you know I was here?"

"Hyeyeon and Siyeon told me." Eunchae said. "I...I actually came here to talk to you."

"I don't want to." Yeunjung moved away. "Go back inside."

"I...I also got some ramen and chocolate milk for you." Eunchae added, scooting the bag. "Mina and Sohye said you like them."

Yeunjung sighed and accepted the bag. "Thanks."

"Can we talk, Yeunjung?" Eunchae asked.

"Not yet, Eunchae. I need some alone time." Yeunjung mumbled and sighed.

She slept again. Eunchae sighed and decided to go back. As she walked away, she got a glimpse of Yeunjung tearing up on her sleep. Eunchae felt her heart break, her tears falling slowly.

+++

"Will the Christmas party still continue?" Sungyeon asked.

"Yes." Sohye nodded. "We got most of the arrangements ready. And besides, Yeunjung needs to have fun. We all do."

Eunchae sighed and she felt tensed. She wondered what she will do to contribute and what to give Yeunjung. She was even worried that she won't get anything as a present since Yeunjung wasn't in the mood.

"You called?" Yeunjung arrived as she rubbed her temples.

Sohye nodded and most of them got to her aid, checking if she was okay. Yeunjung then froze as she faced Eunchae but with the others, she exhaled and greeted with a wave then asked Sohye the same question Sungyeon asked.

"Yes, buddy." Sohye smiled. "We got the place ready, you know."

"Okay." Yeunjung nodded. "Will it be okay if I just stop by and go?" 

"What? You won't celebrate with us?" Yeoreum asked, shocked.

"I'll just get my gift and give Eunchae her gift and go." Yeunjung spoke. "Have fun without me, though."

"Yah, Yoo Yeunjung. You're going to have fun and celebrate Christmas with us and that's that." Dayoung huffed.

"I'll be sad and my emotions will ruin your Christmas vibe. I don't want to be a killjoy so...I won't celebrate much." Yeunjung said. "Just have fun without me."

"Hold on." Mina spoke before she could go again. "Your contribution for the decorations?"

"I gave Dayoung and Yeoreum the nightlight so I'm done with my part." Yeunjung said. "If that's why you called me here then...I need to go."

"The sandwiches?" Eunchae spoke.

Yeunjung sighed. How could she forget that she was also tasked to bring food for the party? "Well, I'll bring some, together with your gift, and then I'll leave."

Yeunjung made her leave when Eunchae grabbed her arm. "I haven't bought some Christmas stockings! Please come with me to the mall to buy some!"

Everyone was shocked of Eunchae's words towards Yeunjung. Yeunjung forced herself to let go but Eunchae has a tight hold on her arm.

"Please?" Eunchae pleaded.

"Come on, buddy. Just this once." Sohye spoke.

"Come on, buddy. You wanted this." Yeoreum joined in.

"Our bear always wanted to go with her cute hamster." Doyeon said. "Come on, buddy."

"I see a smile~" Sungyeon cooed.

Yeunjung's mouth did twitch upward. Eunchae smiled of it and Yeunjung felt defenseless against her friends. They were all happy since it has been a while since Yeunjung smiled.

"Fine." She sighed.

+++

Yeunjung and Eunchae were at the mall. Eunchae would hold Yeunjung's hand and they went to the Christmas section to but stockings. Eunchae got some designs as Yeunjung helped pick some preferences for everyone.

"I can't decide..." Eunchae sighed as she held her favorite designs for her stocking. "...what to pick..."

"Here." Yeunjung said as she got a stocking with a cute Rudolph eating a sandwich for a design. "This suits you better."

Eunchae agreed and Yeunjung puts it in the basket. Eunchae saw another stocking and grabbed it. "This will be yours, Yeunjung."

"Eunchae, I won't be staying long in the party." Yeunjung said. "I don't need a stocking."

"But I want to buy it." Eunchae pouted.

"Whatever you say." Yeunjung sighed.

Yeunjung and Eunchae got to the cashier and Eunchae paid for them. Yeunjung decided to help Eunchae with those stockings and they headed towards the café. 

+++

The two got to Penguin Café and Sohye and Mina were decorating the place. The couple greeted Eunchae and Yeunjung as they placed the stockings by the table.

"Nice. That's the only thing lacking." Sohye grinned.

"And they look so cute too." Mina smiled as she got a look. "You got our favorites~"

"Yeunjung helped me~" Eunchae smiled.

Yeunjung could only nod silently as Sohye nudged her. "Want to help us decorate?"

Yeunjung nodded silently and went to grab the lights and hung them up. Sohye and Mina sigh sadly as Eunchae could almost cry. They could only watch as Yeunjung finished hanging the lights up. Yeunjung tried to switch them on when she winced.

"Yeunjung!" Eunchae grew worried and drew closer with Mina and Sohye.

"You okay, buddy?" Sohye asked.

Yeunjung hissed and got a cut by her hand from the light's hook. It was bleeding lightly when Eunchae got her white hanky and sealed Yeunjung's wound.

"Yah, Eunchae..." Yeunjung lets go. "...it's not a big deal. It's just a scratch." She sighed and grabbed her jacket. "I'm sorry...but it's best if I go home."

Sohye nodded as Yeunjung thanked them for the company. Eunchae didn't want her to go but Mina stopped her from chasing Yeunjung. Yeunjung left the café and Eunchae's tears fell. Mina and Sohye comfort the hamster.

"Is she really that mad at me?" Eunchae sniffled. "I didn't mean to make her feel bad...I...I realized too late. I wanted to ask for forgiveness and make up for everything but I'm so scared that she'll become madder..."

"I'm so sorry, buddy..." Sohye sighed. "...but please give Yeunjung more time."

"She's still messed up. I know you want to make amends towards her but now's not the time." Mina added. "Please be patient. Give her time to think things through. She'll listen soon...we promise you."

Eunchae wiped her tears off as she knew the couple were right. She had to wait for Yeunjung. She was also praying thay Yeunjung will calm herself and listen to her.

+++

The day of the Christmas Party came and Sohye and Mina were excited. The others came in different intervals and were very excited. 

"Nice preparations." Dayoung gave a thumbs up.

"And your beef stew and gimbap are delicious~" Sungyeon spoke as she ate some.

"Xuanyi-unnie suggested gimbap. Eunseo-unnie even made me cook extra stew so that we can bring some." Dayoung said. "By the way, love the Christmas cupcakes, Sohye."

"Thanks." Sohye grinned. "Although I'm hungry for sandwiches, the cupcakes are good."

"I'm trying to call Yeunjung." Doyeon sighed. 

Doyeon was having a call with Yeunjung about the sandwiches and Doyeon grinned. The others got curious as Doyeon spoke. "She'll be coming."

"Yes!!" Yoojung jumped cheerfully. "But what if she decides to leave?"

"Lock the door." Yeoreum spoke.

"Don't let her leave." A voice spoke as the door opened.

"Eunchae!" They cheered as she arrived.

"I'm serious. Don't make her leave." Eunchae said.

"Yes, ma'am!" Everyone saluted.

+++

Yeunjung sighed as she got a big box full of sandwiches and her gift on top of it. She was still sour from thr rejection but she had to settle some things for the party, making her frustrated.

"Yeunjung-unnie?" Yeunjung looked at a building and there was Somyi.

Yeunjung went closer to greet the girl. Yebin got out from the said building and she greeted Yeunjung while smiling. "Finally, you're getting out of your off mode."

Yeunjung was shocked. She guessed Eunchae must've talked to them about the party. "You've mistaken, unnie. I'll only stop by and go."

"That's not very nice for your friends, Yeunjung-unnie." Somyi spoke. "It's Christmas. You need to be happy and celebrate with them."

"My tadpole's right. We told Eunchae the same thing since she didn't want to go...not to a party without you." Yebin shared.

Yeunjung was damned. Yebin got closer and they sat down on a bench. Yeunjung was at the center, her hands clenching onto the box.

"Chaewon talked to me and Somyi of what happened to the both of you. You know what she said?" Yebin began. "She missed you. She missed you being hyperactively happy, even those times you courted her and you gave her sandwiches."

"Yeah? Well...I can't go back to that kind of thing. I did that for almost four years. When she rejected me for the last time, I planned to give up since nothing has changed."

"But Unnie...it has now. She's giving you a chance. It's almost too late but she's really doing it." Somyi said.

Yeunjung thought about the time Eunchae opened up towards her. It felt like the tables have turned. Now, Eunchae was the one chasing her. 

"But...what if I accept and she'll ignore me again?" Yeunjung asked.

"Chaewon isn't like that, Yeunjung. Her feelings have been true." Yebin said. "The heart may have been closed becaude of rejection but I know in that heart remained that love. You'd never toss Eunchae aside. You just got tired and gave up."

"You know what they say, Unnie..." Somyi spoke. "...sometimes the good stuff comes at the brink of quitting. You can't cling onto that soir feeling forever. You two have mutual feelings now. Accept Chaewon-unnie once more and be happy."

"Come on, Yeunjung. It's ing Christmas!" Yebin cheered. "Have fun and be happy!"

Yeunjung felt a hit as enligtenment filled her whole being. It didn't completely enlighten her but it gave her a little boost. Yeunjung got up and thanked the couple.

"Now go. Chaewon is waiting." Yebin grinned.

"Thank you." Yeunjung spoke again and went to the café.

+++

The party had been a blast. Most of them were having the time of their lives and having fun. Eunchae would join in but she would stop by the door, sitting on a chair and waiting.

"Where is she?" Yoojung asked about Yeunjung.

"I've been calling her but she's not answering." Doyeon sighed.

"She'll come." Eunchae spoke, making everyone look at her. "She'll come. We have to wait."

"Okay, buddy." Dayoung nodded. "Alright! Let's play UNO."

"You know that it can wreck friendships, right?" Yewon asked.

"It won't," said Sungyeon. "It's Christmas. No sour vibes, please."

They heard a squeal and they averted their gazes towards Eunchae. Dayoung and Yeoreum saw the silhouette coming and they helped her with the box. The person got her gift and everyone cheered as she got inside.

"Yoo Yeunjung!" They cheered.

"Uhh...hi." Yeunjung waved.

"Now the party can officially begin." Yoojung clapped and played music.

"Our song~~" Dayoung cheered.

All I Want For Christmas was played and they danced and sang. Yeunjung clapped lightly to join in as she felt a hug from the back. Yeunjung froze and looked behind her to see Eunchae.

"Hi." Eunchae greeted. "I'm so glad you could make it."

"Yeah..." Yeunjung nodded.

"Can we talk outside?" Eunchae asked. "Please?"

"Okay." Yeunjung agreed.

Yeunjung and Eunchae went out, sitting by the little stairs at the café's entrance, watching the snow fall lightly. They were silent for a while, with Eunchae reaching out to hold Yeunjung's hand. Yeunjung felt that lost thump on her chest come back.

"I want to ask you. How long have you courted me?"

Yeunjung was shocked of that question yet she answered. "Almost four years."

"I want to say thank you." Eunchae began. "Thank you courting me throughout those four years. Thank you for everything you did for me, especially brining me such delicious sandwiches."

Yeunjung was flattered. Her mode was slowly going away as her thump in the chest thumped with happiness, bit by bit.

"I'm so sorry." Eunchae spoke sadly. "I'm very sorry for rejecting you and for always getting mad after all you did. I didn't have feeings back then and I thought you were annoying but...I made you turn back towards your mode..."

"Yah, Eunchae..." Yeunjung grabbed a hanky and wiped Eunchae's tears.

"...I made you cold towards me and our friends. You were messed up because of me." Eunchae sniffled. "But I want you to get away from that mode...and come back to being the happy Yoo Yeunjung that I'm starting to love."

Yeunjung blushed and her heart thumped. She could even feel tears roll down as Eunchae held her hand tighter. It was what she wanted to hear feom Eunchae for so long. She felt regret for giving up at the wrong time.

"I miss you. I miss you and everything we had done together. I even missed the sandwiches you made for me. You were right. The sandwiches in the vending machines ." Eunchae mumbled and Yeunjung smiled at that. "I'm grateful and apologetic towards everything but I realize now." 

Yeunjung sighed and faced Eunchae but she froze, her faces inches from Eunchae's. 

"I like you too. I miss you. I miss you even calling me Chaewon. It's almost too late but...can we start over?"

Yeunjung felt heavenly. She was very happy. The mode she was in was gone and it made scoot her jacket pocket as she got something. She shows it to Eunchae. "Merry Christmas."

Eunchae looked to see a sandwich. It was bigger and it was new compared to what Yeunjung always brought for her. Yeunjung inched it closer and placed it on her palm. 

"Yeunjung..."

"I thought I wouldn't be able to give it since I'm sour but...it's a new recipe...and I want you to be the very first one to try it."

Eunchae felt that thump as she opened the wrapper and wowed of the contents. Eunchae thought it almost smelled good yet funny but she tried it. She got a bite and thoughts lingered.

She recalled the first time Yeunjung courted her and she got her a sandwich from the vending machine. As everything progressed, so did Yeunjung's love for Eunchae and her skills and wish to make the best sandwiches for Eunchae since it was always her favorite thing to eat. She then recalled all her times Yeunjung gave her homemade sandwiches and she loved all of Yeunjung's recipes.

And now, on this Christmas, the sandwich she tasted was very delicious. Eunchae gulped and took another bite and she loved it that she teared up. Yeunjung wiped her tears again and Eunchae ate the whole thing, adding a cute burp in the end.

"Now let me ask you something." Yeunjung spoke. "Chaewon-ah..."

Eunchae hugged Yeunjung for that. Yeunjung smiled and hugged her back as she decides to finish her question. "...does this score me back my chance to win your heart?"

"Yes!" Eunchae squealed and hugged her tighter. "Yes, Yeunjung-ah! Yes!"

"Congratulations~" Everyone spoke from behind them and Dodaeng released some confetti.

"The third wheel queen has ended her reign." Dayoung clapped.

"Yah! I jist got happy and now you tease me?" Yeunjung huffed.

"Welcome back, you hyperactive bear!" Doyeon spoke.

"She's MY hyperactive bear." Eunchae mumbled.

Everyone cooed and Yeunjung blushed again as she hugged Eunchae. Eunchae would hug back and everyone cooed. "Awww~"

"Okay! Now let's party!" Yoojung cheered.

They got inside. Eunchae and Yeunjung held hands and joined them, welcoming another wondeful time of the year with each other.

Who knew it had to do with a sandwich?