Red Ball

The Month Before Yuletide

A crash was heard within the premises. Nayoung was still her stony self as she got up to see the commotion. She got to the door, shocked to see Chaeyeon.

“Good morning, Daddy.” Chaeyeon greeted, all while sipping her hot chocolate.

“Morning, Mommy.” Nayoung mumbled. “What are you doing here outside on a early winter day?”

“Watching cars crash.” Chaeyeon said, pointing at the street.

Nayoung was seriously seeing cars crash beyond the winter street, the wheels creating screeching noises and smoke coming out of their compartments. She looks at Chaeyeon, surprised of her actions.

“O…okay…” Nayoung could only nod. “But maybe we should go back inside. It’s freezing out here.”

Chaeyeon agreed. And when they heard some beagles yell, they stormed inside quickly. They got to the living room, seeing Yoojung and Somi jump on the couch.

“Kids, not the sofa.” Chaeyeon sighed and got to the two.

“You two stop jumping and get down from there!” Nayoung spat.

“Unnie.” Chaeyeon and Nayoung were shocked as they look behind them. “What’s on the menu today?”

“Sohye, go back to sleep. I’ll wake you up when breakfast is ready.” Chaeyeon assured her.

Nayoung went to her back to her room. She got Sohye to sleep again and woke up a member in the bottom bunk where Kyulkyung was snoring to dreamland.

“Wake up, dumb.” Nayoung spoke.

“No.” Sejeong yawned and rolled over. “I need some sleep.”

“Hey, you and I cook meals for the kids, remember? Now get your up and help me.” Nayoung hissed.

Sejeong whined and Nayoung pulled her awake. Sejeong got her feet up and walked with Nayoung. They got down and Chaeyeon was watching a cartoon with Yoojung and Somi.

“Unnie.” They got to the kitchen and Mina was already there, eating cookies. “What’s that red ball inside the fridge?”

“Huh? Red ball?” Nayoung was confused. “We didn’t get a red ball when we bought groceries.”

“Oh, that?” Sejeong asked. “That’s Chungha's. She says don’t touch it.”

“But I want to eat it. It smells like cheese.” Mina pouted.

“Did someone say cheese?” Somi smiled. “Where is it? Can I have some?”

“There’s no cheese for this morning but Sejeong and I will make breakfast. What do you want?”

“Beef stew~” Mina grinned.

“Pizza.” Somi said.

“Chungha-“ Sejeong spat but she got a jab from Nayoung.

“Very funny, ert.” Nayoung sighed. “Now get that pan and help me with the veggies.”

Mina decided to go to Sohye and wake her up as Somi went back to the living room. Nayoung and Sejeong began cooking. Nayoung asked of the red ball.

“I don’t know it too, Nayoung. Chungha said she got that for Christmas eve. No one shall touch it, she says.” Sejeong batted.

“But it’s 29 days till Christmas Eve. It’ll be a space consumer in the fridge. What about the future foods for Christmas?” Nayoung asked.

“We’ll have to order delivery for Christmas, Stone. We’re not moving that red ball, not unless Chungha says so.” Sejeong said as she chopped some onions.

Nayoung sighed and decided to focus on cooking.

+++

“Where is it?!”

All eyes were on Chungha as she scurried her little figure by the fridge. “Where’s that red ball?”

Most of them shrugged. Nayoung added. “Maybe Yeunjung knows where it is.”

“Did someone talk about me?” Yeunjung spoke as she arrived. "I just got back from the grocery store where they sell Filipino food."

"Have you seen the red ball inside the fridge?" Chungha asked.

"Why I have." Yeunjung said.

For someone so small, Chungha managed to pounce on Yeunjung and clenched the collar of her shirt. It shocked everyone, especially the parents who instantly got to the two.

"What the ?" Yeunjung hissed as she tries to breathe.

"Where's the red ball?" Chungha asked. "Where's that Quezo de Bola?!"

"Lolwhut?" Somi reacted like the dongsaengs.

"What's Quezo de Bola?" Yoojung asked.

"Quezo de Bola, or a ball of cheese in Spanish. It's typically a ball of cheese wrapped on some red edible ." Yeunjung said. "It was delicious. Chungha-unnie must've bought it at the store I went into."

"I knew it was cheese!" Mina pouted.

"The , you ate a ball of cheese?!" Sohye gasped.

"Yeah." Yeunjung nodded. "Tastes gouddha~"

"Aish, what the with the cheese puns?" Chungha hissed. "You better owe me one."

"I did. I bought two." Yeunjung said as she got two boxes. "I decided to get some for Christmas Eve. Sure it's not a custom here in Korea but it's worth to try some other customs. And besides..." Yeunjung grinned. "...we should try because-"

"-it tastes gouddha, we get it." Doyeon interrupted.

"But at least the joke was better than what Sohye would say." Kyulkyung added and Sohye reacted, causing everyone to laugh.