Chapter 8

A Beam Of Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“How’s she doing Hyejeong?” Yuri asked over the phone.

 

It had been a week since the attack, and Taeyeon hadn’t been coping well.

 

Tiffany had awoke the morning after, to find Taeyeon gone from her bed, and upon looking around the house for her she was nowhere to be seen. After searching, they noticed a jeep missing and found her at the cabin. Seolhyun had gone to try convince the older woman to return with her, only to be blocked by a sphere of light around the entire house.

 

“Not good.” Hyejeong sighed, replying to Yuri. “She’s still locked up in that cabin not saying anything, and we can’t get past the barrier.”

“Have you tried destroying it?” The General suggested, desperately trying to come up with a solution to their problem.

“We have. She’s made it solid and we can’t get through it no matter how hard we try.”

“You’ll have to give her time Hyejeong. Just keep going with the preparations, we can’t afford to lose too much time.”

 

Hyejeong felt defeated, returning back to Hyoyeon’s home, once again empty handed. Jiyeon was in the yard, showing the town girls how to defend themselves. The training had been Taeyeon’s idea initially and everyone agreed - they didn’t want their friends getting hurt.

 

“No change?” Hyoyeon pondered.

“She wouldn’t say anything.” The leader replied, collapsing onto a garden chair dejectedly.

“Do you want Tiff to try?”

 

Tiffany looked expectantly at the soldier, and smiled when she agreed it was a good idea. She wasn’t expecting to be able to get Taeyeon to open up to her, but she at least wanted to try.

 

She walked to the cabin, thinking the whole time how to talk to Taeyeon.

 

Soon she was faced by the all too familiar sight of the barrier, which was housing her mourning friend.

“Taeyeon?” She called, not expecting to get a response. Tiffany didn’t try calling again, and just sat outside, occasionally knocking on the barrier gently, hoping it would budge.

 

The brunette stood suddenly, formulating a plan. Once she was as close to the door as she could get she screamed loudly, and Taeyeon came sprinting out in panic, only to see Tiffany smiling at her sadly.

 

“Hey TaeTae.” She greeted, waving shyly. “Can I come in?”

Taeyeon didn’t reply, but walked back inside. Tiffany felt defeated, until the barrier expanded so she was on the inside. Relief washed over her as she walked into the cabin, relieved to finally be able to speak to Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon had retreated to the couch already, wrapped up in a blanket like a burrito. The soldier wasn’t the same person Tiffany had met before. Her eyes were swollen and red - her cheeks stained with days worth of tears. Gone was the strong image she had built up of herself.

 

Tiffany walked over cautiously, and sat next to Taeyeon. Neither of them spoke for a few minutes, sitting in a thoughtful silence until Tiffany started to speak.

 

“When I was eleven my Mum died.”

 

Taeyeon turned and gave a sympathetic smile.

 

“I did the same as you’re doing now. I locked myself in my room for a week. Sooyoung would pass me food through the window once a day and that was about it. I let it consume me; I let it destroy me Taeyeon. Please let me take care of you, I know how much you’re hurting.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes started to leak fluid, and she lay her head on Tiffany’s shoulder.

 

“Thanks.” She whispered. It was barely audible but it was all that Tiffany needed.


 

Yuri released a sigh of relief when she was informed about Taeyeon’s plan to return to Hyoyeon in the morning. Seohyun heard it and glanced over, raising her eyebrow.

“Everything okay Yuri?” She questioned.

“Tae is heading back tomorrow.” The General smiled back. “How are the mechanics coming along?”

Seohyun pulled out a tablet and after a few taps was placing it away again.

“Sunny’s arm is ready, should we pay her a visit now?”

Yuri nodded and headed out of her office and towards the resettlement at the edge of the base.

 

The General knocked on the door of the main residency where Sunny was staying. She introduced herself to Henry, who had welcomed her in.

“I’m here to see Sunny.”

He guestered to a door on the far side of the room, and they women followed.

 

Sunny was lying in bed when she entered.

“Hello Sunny.” She greeted. “This is my secretary Seohyun.”

Sunny waved in response.

“We have good news, your arm is ready. Shall we go get it now?”

Soonkyu nodded, and pushed herself off the mattress.

“Can you walk okay?” Seohyun asked, noticing her limp from the still present wounds on her leg.

“Yeah.” she smiled at the secretary, giving

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter