Chapter 15

A Beam Of Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Are you ready?” Yuri asked Mihye, entering the room they had assigned the Senator.

 

It had been six days since her plane landed and she had been working non-stop on trying to ‘perfect’ Taeyeon’s coding.

 

“I’m just finishing up now. Has the body printed satisfactorily?” Mihye replied, not looking up from the screen and continuing to type away.

 

“It looks like her.” Yuri shrugged. She wasn’t sure how to reply.

 

A whole new building had been setup to create a shell for Taeyeon’s mind to be cast into, and day by day her body had been recreated. The perks of letting Mihye into the base were becoming more apparent with every second that had ticked by after she landed.

 

The sleeve Taeyeon would be placed into, seemed scarily human. It became more and more apparent that AIs were identical to humans, but only powered by energy rather than glucose. The shell was even grown using human DNA, creating an exact replica of the human body but using stronger materials.

 

Yoona had agreed to be shut down in the lab, and her coding was rewritten. She was yet to be restarted, but all of Taeyeon’s abilities were being written into her genetics, line by line. The blonde looked peaceful, still smiling even when she wasn’t awake.

 

“Yuri?” Mihye called, pulling the General out of her momentary trance.

“Huh?” She mumbled, pulling her attention back to the senator.

“I said, I think I’m done. I’m going to transfer all my databases to her knowledge sector and then run her on the system before we put her in her body.”

“Okay.” Yuri smiled - one step closer to getting her friend back.

 

“How is Tiffany coping?” Mihye questioned, still typing away.

“Not great.” Yuri admitted, sighing. “I think a part of her still thinks that Tae isn’t coming back.”

“There was no other choice.” The Senator replied, an ounce of guilt creeping into her features.

“I know there wasn’t Mihye, don’t beat yourself up about it. Tiff has actually been training with recruits - it’s helping her deal with the stress.”

“I’m glad.” Mihye smiled. “I’ll make sure she gets compensated fully once Taeyeon is back.”


 

Hyejeong and Yuri watched tensely, as Taeyeon was loaded onto the AI body by Mihye’s team. The rest of the team were waiting anxiously just outside the facility, preparing themselves for any eventuality of the experiment.

 

It was freaky watching the lifeless robot which lay on the table, looking just like Taeyeon did before she got a bullet through her brain.

 

“Hyejeong,” Mihye called, “Tell your team to leave. It’ll be a few hours, I’ll call them when she’s ready.”

 

It was a number of minutes later when the tapping of keyboards fell silent, and Mihye’s team exited the room along with their laptops. Only the Senator was left. She grabbed her black tie and loosened it. Her legs made their way onto the desk, and she placed her hands on her head while she leaned, back letting out a big sigh.

 

“The data is transferring, two hours left.” Mihye spoke, closing her eyes.

 

Yuri and Hyejeong just looked at each other, not completely sure on what to do.

“Is she asleep?” Hyejeong whispered to the General.

“I think so…” Yuri replied. Silence ensued until Hyejeong dragged Yuri out the room.

“I’m not waiting here for two hours. I’m starving.” She whined.

 

Mihye was awoken to a crash, and when she opened her eyes the table infront of her was empty.

“.” She cursed, springing up from her chair and spotting Taeyeon lying almost comically straight on the floor. “Taeyeon?”

The AI’s head whipped around to look at her, and she breathed a sigh of relief.

“Remember me?”

Taeyeon nodded in response.

“Come sit here.” Mihye patted the empty chair beside her. “There’s a lot I need to tell you.”

 

Mihye explained the entire situation, just like she had to the rest of the women the day before. Taeyeon stayed sil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter