Chapter 7

A Beam Of Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just a prior warning, this chapter has a lot of violence and is quite gory. I hope you enjoy!

 

 

“Heechul?” A whiney voice sounded from his front door.

“Is that you Sunny?” The man replied, running his hand through his hair and removing it from his eyes.

“Yup!” Soonkyu replied, popping the ‘P’ and walking into the kitchen, sitting herself down on a stool. She eyed a pile of bags by the backdoor and raised an eyebrow. “Going somewhere?” She questioned, switching her gaze to her friend who was rather frantically putting his kitchen knives into a bag and stuffing it into a backpack.

“We have to leave Sunny. I’ve packed your things, I need you to give this to the people at the Tavern.”

 

Sunny held out her hand as a note was dropped into it, and started to get an uneasy feeling about the whole situation.

“You need to be quick, we have to get everyone out of here by sundown.”

“What’s going on?”

“There’s no time for this Sunny!” He shouted, gripping the work surface until his knuckled started to turn white. “Run over there and come back here once you’re done. I have a call to make.”

 

Sunny sprinted out of the house and down the main street, pushing her way past the heavy door of the inn, and shouting for the staff.

“Henry?” She yelled, getting the attention of the bartender.

 

She passed her friend the note and waited for his explanation. As he read the colour drained from his face and he gulped, fear washing over him and replacing his usual cheerful expression with a look of dread.

 

“Donghae. Put the alarm on, get everyone to the clearing.”

“.”  Donghae paced out of the store room. “You’re not joking?”

“Heechul just told us, come on we have to go.”

 

Sunny followed her instructions and began running towards Heechul’s house again. Halfway down the road a piercing alarm sounded all around her. People seemed to understand what it meant, and ran into their homes.

 

Just then, Henry’s voice sounded out over the loudspeaker.

“We have word from Amity that troops are heading here. Everyone needs to make their way to the clearing now.”

 

‘Troops? Why?’ Sunny thought, but wasted no time, sprinting down the path once again.

 

Heechul was loading their bags into his truck outside, and helping the neighbors into his vehicle. He pulled out a phone and dialed a number quickly, guestering to Sunny to get in the van.



 

Yuri was sitting in her morning briefing, when her private phone rang. People only usually reached her through her secretary Seohyun, so it usually was important if someone contacted her directly.

 

She pulled the device out of her uniform, and stared at the unknown number.

“Forgive me.” She said to the soldiers seated around the table as she answered the call.

 

“Hello?” Yuri greeted, not getting any response for a tense moment.

“I’m glad to be hearing your voice again General.”

“Oh my. Kim Heechul?”

 

Audible gasps were heard from her colleges, no one expected him to be on the other side of the phone call.

 

“As much as I’d like to catch up Yuri, I need help.”

Yuri took note of the desperation in his voice and realised this wasn’t some lovely excuse for a reunion.

“What’s going on?” She replied, her serious tone full of worry.

“They know about the veteran town, and they’re coming before sundown. I have families here, they’re going to be killed. You have to help Yuri.”

“.” Yuri couldn’t respond.

 

She knew where Heechul was. It was a town set up years ago by the resistance. They sent soldiers who needed to get away from everything there. They were still under the control of the senate, but no one knew they were formerly rebels, and they could live their lives as normal people.

 

“How did they find out?”

“I don’t know Yul, but everyone is heading to the clearing. We’ll do our best to fend them off but we have to save the families.”

“Gather everyone, we’re on our way.”

 

Yuri wasted no time, and ran forwards to her laptop which lay on the long table. She punched in a series of keys and suddenly an alarm blared out through the entire base. Determined strides led her out of the boardroom and very quickly to the courtyard.

 

Outside was chaos. Troops were running into the kit rooms, preparing vehicles, assembling weapons. Yuri headed to the largest ship and rushed any prepared soldiers into it. She spoke through the intercom, alerting everyone to the situation.

 

“This is your General Kwon Yuri speaking. We have reports of an attack in one of our veteran villages that will be imminent by sundown. I need everyone on troop carriers, and three spare for civilians. Squadron five and eight, you’re staying here. Every aerial team prepare to leave in five minutes.”

 

Yuri raised her left hand and wiped it across her forehead, taking a deep breath and wiping the sweat off her brow. She boarded the main ship, followed by her main tactical team.

 

“General Kwon.” Kahi spoke, boarding the ship just as they were due to depart.

“Kahi.” She acknowledged, taking her seat for takeoff.

 

Seohyun was talking away to the different ships, coordinating the defence strategy when Kahi sighed and stood up, gazing out the window.

“Do they have no humanity?” She questioned Yuri. “They’re not attacking us anymore, they’re going for civilians, just to trying rattle us.”

“They’re sick.” Yuri replied.

 

Yuri’s phone interrupted the thoughtful silence, and she didn’t hesitate before answering.

“What’s going on Yuri?” Hyejeong spoke from the other side.

“Nothing for your team to worry about Hyejeong.”

“WIth all due respect General, if you’ve called a mass troop movement I think it’s something we do need to worry about.”

 

Yuri hesitated before replying.

“Heechul has contacted me, and the veteran village close to amity is under attack. We received the intel early, so we stand a chance of getting there to evacuate some of the civilians.”

 

The other end was quiet, apart from Taeyeon’s audible sob. She grabbed the phone and spoke to Yuri herself.

“We’re coming to help.”

“Absolutely not Taeyeon, we’re not risking exposing your team.”

“She’s right Tae, they have this sorted.” Hyejeong spoke, retrieving the phone from her teammate’s grip.

“I’ll update you Hyejeong, but focus on helping Hyoyeon get all her equipment in place.”

 

Yuri ended the call, and rung Heechul, informing him of their departure. Everyone was tense on the journey, praying for an outcome which was different from the previous attack, which was still fresh in their mind.

 

There were only a few people who owned cars in Heechul’s village, and the clearing was about one kilometre away. He drove like a maniac, transporting as many people as he could at one time to the location, before heading back once again.

 

Sunny was helping anyone who could possibly fight to gear up. The Resistance had been hiding an armoury below the town, just incase this ever happened. Most of the still fit veterans adorned their old battle scarred uniform with pride, grabbing guns and strapping them onto their bodies.

 

Henry was in the far corner of the room, strapping a bulletproof vest to his torso. He noticed Sunny in the corner, putting on some of the gear herself and shook his head.

“Sunny, this isn’t your fight.” He told her. “You’re not putting yourself in danger.”

“This is my home Henry, it’s as much my fight as it is yours.” She answered back, strapping holsters on her thighs and placing two pistols in them.

“Always a stubborn little aren’t you?” He sighed, ruffling her hair affectionately.

“The smallest chillies are the spiciest!” She winked, strapping an oversized helmet onto her head.

 

The sky was starting to darken now, and Sunny stood with her friends just behind the village, hiding in the treeline. Heechul came towards them, all kitted up and took his place, aiming his gun towards the direction of the village.

 

“You

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter