Chapter 10

A Beam Of Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You- You’re not… Breathing.” Hyejeong gasped, stuttering over her words.

 

The smile was eradicated off Taeyeon’s face, and the colour kept draining as she placed two fingers against her neck and felt no pulse.

 

She tried to breathe but it did nothing.

 

Her lungs didn’t inflate like they should and her blood wasn’t flowing.

 

Despite all of this, Taeyeon felt amazing…

 

She watched the light dance through her veins in her arms. It was as if she had the power to do anything and it wouldn’t drain her.

 

Taeyeon clicked her fingers - watching the light flicker out of the city like she was hitting a light switch. It was effortless.

 

It felt like the world was at the end of her fingers.

 

“Are you okay Taeyeon?” Hyejeong broke the tense silence.


Taeyeon’s grin dissipated when she noticed the fearful looks of her friends. It was as if they were scared of her.

 

She was in the centre of the room, while everyone else cowered by the door. Hyejeong pushed Seolhyun behind her and reached for the knife in her back pocket, not knowing if Taeyeon would lash out at them.

 

A tear threatened to spill down her cheek.

 

“I feel… Fine.” Fine was an understatement, but she wanted to tone it down for them. The thought of her new family being afraid of her was too hard wrenching to comprehend.

 

“I know I’m not breathing,” Taeyeon started to explain. “But it’s like the energy is doing it for me. I don’t feel normal; I’m not sure it’s a bad thing.”

 

Silence ensued, as no one knew what to say.

 

The piercing blue of Taeyeon’s irises burrowed into their hearts. Seolhyun ran forward - her eyes filled with tears.

“I thought you were gonna die Tae.” She whispered, wrapping her arms around the small woman.

 

The others followed after snapping out of their trance, engulfing Taeyeon in a reassuring group hug.

 

“Come on guys, let’s sleep. We’ll figure out what’s going on in the morning okay?” Hyoyeon suggested, guestering to the door.

 

Jiyeon was first to exit the door, and the soldier let out a battle cry, which was followed by a high pitched scream.

 

As everyone ran out of the room to see what the commotion was, Jiyeon had a tall blonde girl pinned up against the wall by .

 

“What are you doing here?” She interrogated.

“Oh my god Ji, let her down.” Hyoyeon interrupted, rushing over to the girl who was looking rather shocked. “This is my house AI, Yoona.” She explained, sighing.

 

Jiyeon’s face flushed red, and she apologized to Yoona, who didn’t seem phased once her feet hit the ground again.

 

“I will take care of all your needs. Can I show you to your rooms?” Yoona said with an intoxicating smile.

 

No one said anything or moved, still confused about where Yoona had appeared from.

 

“You’re a robot?” Jimin asked, trying to wrap her head around everything that was going on.

“Pretty much.” She replied, her smile never fading.

“I didn’t know robots existed…” She admitted. “This day is too weird, I can’t tell if this is all just a dream. I’m going to bed.”

 

She walked off, opening the first door she came across, accidently walking into a closet before Yoona directed her to the correct room.

 

“How could you forget to tell us the part about robots?” She murmured to Hyoyeon as she passed, shutting the door and collapsing on the bed face first.



 

When Hyoyeon checked her phone the next morning, she felt guilt wash over her. Over one hundred panicked texts from her friends back home were on her screen, along with several missed calls from the base.

 

She dialled Yuri’s number instantly, hearing the phone be answered in a matter of seconds.

 

“Yuri, I’m so sorry I didn’t call.” She sighed.

“Thank god you finally picked up, I was so worried.” The General replied, letting out a deep breath she had been holding in. “What happened? Why does Taeyeon have no pulse?”

 

Hyoyeon explained the whole situation, not skipping any details. Once she finished, Yuri stayed silent for few seconds.

 

“You should have enough tech. Ask Hyejeong to run some internal tests on Taeyeon as soon as they can - I’ll get the team here to analyse the results and see if we can figure out what the is going on here.”

 

“I’ll get going and get those done for you Yuri.”

 

The blonde ended the call, and headed out of her room.

 

Taeyeon was talking with Yoona in the kitchen, while she cooked breakfast.

 

“Good morning.” Hyoyeon yawned, accepting a cup of coffee from her AI. “How long have you been up?” She asked Taeyeon.

“I didn’t need to sleep.” Taeyeon shrugged, not really understanding the situation.

“Has she turned you into a robot Tae?” She nudged Yoona, letting out a chuckle.

“Unfortunately that isn’t in my programming Hyoyeon.” Yoona answered, scooping some eggs onto a plate.

 

One by one, the rest of the team woke up and seated themselves in the dining room in front of the feast that Yoona had cooked.

 

Seolhyun was the last one to take her seat, and they dug in shortly after. Taeyeon didn’t feel like eating was necessary, but she did it anyway, still enjoying the taste of the food.

 

“How have we all spent the past months researching on everything we needed to know about this city, and none of us knew AI existed?” Hyejeong asked.

“They just blend in like normal people here I guess.” Hyoyeon answered. “Only the rich can generally afford them, and they fit in with everyone else.”

 

Yoona kept smiling through the whole conversation. If Hyoyeon hadn’t told them that she was capab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter