Chapter 13

A Beam Of Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Multiple casualties have been reported at Shale Industries, when a terror attack took place in the late hours last night, which brought the building down.”

 

Tiffany and Sooyoung watched the news intently, waiting for the confirmation that they already knew was coming.

 

“The attacker has been revealed to be Kim Taeyeon, daughter of the Amity Senators. The Resistance have not claimed responsibility for Taeyeon’s actions, but it is speculated she acted upon their orders.”

 

The TV blared, but they still turned it up, needing to make sure that they had heard the news presenter correctly.

 

“She is seem fleeing from the scene with potential ally, former Shale receptionist - Park Choa, who would have helped her get into the compound. It is not yet known how she entered the building, but the only CCTV footage available of her in the building shows no signs of forcing her way in.”

 

“Footage of Taeyeon leaving was recorded by mandatory police body cams. It appears to show her using a weapon which harnesses the same energy wavelength as our own - but law enforcement is yet to confirm what exactly happened upon her escape.”

 

The presenter was silent for a moment, until a breaking news banner flashed over the screen.

 

“We have just obtained footage from her attack inside the building which shows Kim Taeyeon murdering the CEO of Shale. Some viewers may find this disturbing and are advised to look away now.”

 

Tiffany couldn’t tear her eyes away as Taeyeon gripped the CEO’s throat. The smile on her face was disturbing, as if she was getting great pleasure from hurting him.

 

“What’s going on?” She asked in a meek voice, watching as the man was sent hurtling into the wall. “Why is she doing this?”

“I don’t know Tiffany.” Sooyoung replied honestly. “I’m sure she has her reasons.”


 

“Kim ing Taeyeon.” Mihye stood as the soldier walked into her office, shaking her hand and smiling. “You’re better than I’d have imagined.”

 

Taeyeon handed over the harddrive and sat herself down in a chair. Her teammates around the table greeted her.

“You’re all over the news Tae.” Seolhyun informed her.

“I’d be worried if I wasn’t. I know they control the media but they can’t pretend a skyscraper didn’t collapse.”

 

No one noticed the presence of Choa at the door, who stood with gaping, trying to understand what was happening. Taeyeon had not informed the secretary of their involvement with Mihyed. When the senator heard the gasp, she turned in her chair and smiled.

 

“How could we forget, Park Choa.”

“You’re - working with the Resistance?” Choa blurted out, her eyes wide.

“That I am. We’re going to bring the Senate down.”

 

Mihye had dismissed the girls (with the exception of Choa who she had snapped up to work for her) and they breathed a sign of relief once they were able to relax.

“That was stressful.” Eunjung complained, rubbing her temples to help unwind.

“Agreed.” Taeyeon spoke. “Do you think we’ll have to stay here much longer?”

“I think we know why Tae is so eager to leave…” Hyoyeon teased, and everyone started shouting ‘Tiffany’ in overly teasing voices. Taeyeon clucked, using energy to disintegrate their chairs so they all fell to the floor.

 

Yoona had been the only one standing, and gave Taeyeon a high five, laughing childishly. Everyone else pouted and groaned as they painfully pulled themselves off the ground.

“That’s my furniture!” Hyoyeon whined, until Taeyeon snapped her fingers and it was back.

 

“Come on guys, let’s get rest. We never know what Mihye is going to make us use our energy for tomorrow.” Hyejeong chuckled, helping her girlfriend off of the floor and leading her towards their room, wishing everyone goodnight.

“Tae?” Hyoyeon alerted her friend. “I’m leaving my phone for you and Yoona to keep an eye on, just incase Mihye needs anything.”

“Okay Boss.” Yoona chirped, smiling.

 

As soon as everyone had left the room, Yoona sprung up from her chair.

“Let’s eat ice cream.” She whispered, running to the kitchen and returning with a tub and two spoons.

 

Taeyeon couldn’t help but smile genuinely at the AI’s excitement. Even though neither of them needed to eat, they still craved the taste of sugar.

 

“You know Yoona, I’ve grown to really like you very quickly.”

She smiled in return - a lovely toothy grin, which was appreciated.

“If I’m being honest, you remind me of my little sister. I haven’t seen her for a long time, but you just remind me of her. I could even mistake you for her.” She laughed, trying to push away the sad memories.

 

“What happened to her?” Yoona asked, sensing Taeyeon’s fragile tone.

“I don’t really know. My parents said she died, but they never told me more than that.”

“Well I’ll do my best to be the best sibling to you Big Sis.” The robot beamed.

 

Taeyeon’s reply was interrupted by Hyoyeon’s phone buzzing, and she reached over to answer it. Her eyes widened as Mihye talked on the phone, and she guestered to Yoona to wake the girls up.

 

The phone call had finished by the time everyone was up and in the kitchen.

“We need to leave now, they’re on their way here.” Taeyeon grimaced with each word. “Mihye can’t help us.”

 

Hyoyeon stood up abruptly.

“We can’t take the jeep. Get your backpacks and weapons, we’re leaving in 5.”

 

None of the girls had ever changed so fast, and it was only a couple of minutes before they were all arming themselves, and heading to the basement.

“Taeyeon, contact Yuri - they might be monitoring the phones. We need extraction from the cabin. Tell Tiffany and Sooyoung to meet us there, my house isn’t safe.” The blonde ordered. “Yoona, erase any trace of us being here.”

“Done.” The robot replied, noticeably less happy than usual.

 

Taeyeon contacted who she was asked to, but didn’t even wait to her a reply. A conversation with Tiffany was a luxury she couldn’t afford right now.

 

Hyoyeon moved towards a door which wasn’t previously there, and stepped through it. The girls followed, and ended up in a sewer.

“Seal it off Yoon.” She commanded as soon as all the girls were through the door, and it turned to bri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter