Chapter 14

A Beam Of Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“General.” Seohyun shouted, waving her over towards a monitor screen. “We’ve lost connection with Taeyeon - her earpiece appears to be damaged.”

“I know - she just called me and then suddenly cut off.” Yuri informed her, squinting to read the woman’s vitals information. “Can you get her location?”

“Wohlstand sewer system - we can’t get any more precise than that.”

“She’s in trouble Seo, what the do we do?” Yuri started to lose control. “Call Hyejeong and see what the hell is happening.”

 

Seohyun returned to the room, her skin a noticeable tone paler.

“Yuri?” She alerted the General to her presence. “They were being pursued by guards, Taeyeon said she’d handle them but never followed them.”

Yuri opened her eyes wide, and rushed over to Taeyeon’s station.

 

The whole team seemed to watch Taeyeon’s vital monitor, as her heartbeat flatlined and vitals dropped.

 

“No.” Yuri shook her head in disbelief. “This must be like last time. She’s not dead.”

“She’s not moving.” Seohyun placed her hand on Yuri’s shoulder and squeezed.

 

Yuri buried her head into the secretary’s shirt as she started to cry, muttering ‘no’ over and over again. She seemed to remember where she was, and wiped her eyes with the back of her sleeve, walking towards the door.

 

“Seo send a team to pick up the girls. I need a moment.”

 

Tiffany landed on a black marble flooring, still grasping the button and her rifle.

A sob packed through her body and the gun fell from her hold.

 

“Ah - you’re here.”

 

Tiffany looked up, seeing the woman who had given her the instructions. Her hand balled into a fist and she marched forward, launching herself at the person - who she now recognised as Senator Mihye.

 

To her dismay, she was shot in the neck with a dart, which left her stiff on the ground.

“I know you don’t believe me, but you saved Taeyeon.” She spoke, looking down. “I’m sorry I had to temporarily paralyze you, but I can’t explain myself if you keep trying to kill me can I?”

 

Tiffany tried to talk, but it was as if was glued shut.

 

“We’re heading to the Resistance base where I will explain everything.”

 

Two skinhead bodyguards came and hoisted her up by one arm each - carrying her to an outside area which housed a sleek black jet.

 

“I apologise for this, but you’re going to have to stay under the floorboards for a while. Being a senator has its perks but they still might check that I’m not smuggling anyone out of the city.” Mihye explained as Tiffany found her cold body dumped under the senator’s seat.

 

A few tears managed to make their way down her face as she closed her eyes - just as the plane took off.

 

“Hi Hyejin.” Eunjung greeted, as the mechanic jumped down from a chopper and helped the team to load their bags onto it.

 

She gave a brief nod in response, keeping her head down and not making eye contact.

 

The ride back was silent and they all realised there was clearly something wrong. No one would look at their faces, and they were starting to wish they weren’t heading towards where the bad news would be.

 

“Seohyun?” A technician shouted, signalling the secretary over. “There’s a jet on radar five minutes away.”

“It’s not ours?” Seohyun asked.

“No Ma’am, the choppers we sent have already returned.”

 

Seohyun searched for Yuri, and realising that the General wasn’t there - she took control.

“Can you establish contact?” She asked, turning to another worker. “Can you detect weaponry?”

“They’re not responding Ma’am.”

“No weaponry deployed.”

“Light up runway 3, I want a team with me for their arrival.” She commanded, pacing out of the room, guestering two guards to follow her.

 

Her heels drummed on the solid tarmac, echoing around the compound.

 

A few minutes later, a team of 30 troops joined her, steadying their rifles ready incase any hostiles exited the craft.

 

“Seohyun? What’s going on?” Hyejeong shouted, making her way from the helipads. The commotion seemed to have caused a ruckus, with the whole base watching the landing strip.

 

Seohyun rushed over and hugged the Commander, greeting the other girls afterwards.

“A jet is landing - they refused contact, this -” She guestered to the soldiers, “is just a precaution.”

“Where’s Yuri?” Jimin enquired, finding it weird that Seohyun was taking charge instead of the General.

“She’s inside - we just heard the news, she didn’t take it too well.”

“What news?” Hyejeong asked, panicked.

 

Seohyun clamped together and widened her eyes. They didn’t know…

 

“I’m sorry, I thought you heard…” She apologised frantically. Their talk was interrupted by the roaring of the jet engine. The plane’s lights highlighted the runway, and it was only moments before it landed, and started to slow to a stop infront of the army.

 

Rifles were raised in preparation, and Seohyun resisted the urge to step backwards in fear. The hold door slipped open - agonizingly slowly.

 

A determined scream resonated from inside, followed by a different person’s shriek. No one dared to move and see what was happening.

 

After the noise had died down, Tiffany emerged from the plane having regained her bodily functions back.

 

“Tiffany!” Sooyoung yelled, pushing her way through the soldiers. She crouched down beside her best friend, who was reduced to a wailing heap on the floor. “What happened?” She whispered.

“I -” Tiffany tried to reply, choking on every word. “I killed her... She said it would save her - but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter