Chapter 3

A Beam Of Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Taeyeon woke up to a flurry of voices ringing in her ears, and soft material below her. She opened her eyes weakly and looked at a figure in front of her. She noticed the red material of her jacket and realised she was on a medic’s stretcher. The sun in her eyes made her head feel like it was on fire, so she squinted, trying to at least be able to make sense of what was going on.

 

She tried to sit up after a few seconds having her eyes open. Every fibre of her muscle ached, meaning she rocked to the side and swung her body off the stretcher and onto the floor. It took all of Taeyeon’s strength to stand up, but by the time she was on her feet there was a barrel of a gun on her forehead.

 

“Don’t move anymore, and I certainly don’t want to see you raise your hands.” A female voice spoke calmly. It was polished and professional, sounding the least bit phased by the fact she knew what Taeyeon could accomplish with a flick of the wrist.

“Can you stand okay?” She then continued, the voice no longer devoid of emotion, but expressing some empathy.

“I think so.” Taeyeon replied.

“Then follow me, I’m sending my guards away but I can guarantee the second you try anything I will have this bullet in your head quicker than you can even think.”

 

Taeyeon had no intention of harming anyone, so gladly obliged - even though each step felt like she was wearing lead shoes. Every time her feet hit the ground it hurt more, and she ended up stumbling to one knee. The woman turned around and sighed, sheathing her gun. She picked Taeyeon up like she was nothing but a mere apple, hoisting her over her right shoulder and carrying her into a tent.

 

She placed Taeyeon in a chair, and sat down the other side of a desk.

“One, I want to know what could possibly bring you here. Two, I want to know how you found us. And finally I want to know what the hell you did back there.” She spoke ruffling a hand through her jet black hair.

“Well I came here looking for the resistance. I got information off an old friend who used to fight here and people along the way.” Taeyeon explained. “As for the arm, I can manipulate light. I don’t know how much I can do with my energy but I modified the city’s technology to enhance my own ability. I simply imagined an arm and focused my energy to my hands, and I made another arm.”

“As great as that all sounds, I know who you are Kim Taeyeon. How am I supposed to believe you’re not here on behalf of your parents and the council?”

“You have no idea how much I want this. I’ve given up my life; I’ve killed people to get here! I want nothing more than to help, I don’t want anyone else to face prosecution for trying to live their lives. My family is dead to me.”

 

After confirming Taeyeon’s cause, the commander took her through the camp to get her somewhere to stay.

“I am the leader of the resistance, anything I say goes and I make all the final orders. I am your superior, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be your friend.”

“How about introductions then?” Taeyeon suggested.

“Okay, my name is Kwon Yuri, it’s a pleasure to meet you Taeyeon.” Yuri replied, flashing a charming smile.

 

“You said your friend was here once?” The tall woman asked.

“Yes, and I believe you knew him quite well.”

“What was his name?”

“Heechul.”

Yuri’s face said it all. She stopped in her steps and gaped at Taeyeon.

“We all thought Heechul was dead.”

“He’s hiding out in a village near Amity. He told me to send his regards.”

“He was a good fighter, he still could be again if he ever wants to return. I’m sure if you’re his friend you will be great also. He has high standards that man.”

 

After a few minutes of walking and back and forth chit chat, they arrived at a lofty metal building. The exterior looked like a warehouse, and the steel doors slid open as Yuri approached.

“This is where the soldiers stay. It’s quite empty right now, but I’m going to but I will introduce you to some people you will be staying with.”

 

Yuri lead them through a food hall, where around 45 people sat, eating. Upon seeing her, they all stood attention.

“Be seated.” She commanded and everyone dropped back down to their chairs. “This is Kim Taeyeon. She’s going to be working with me and is your superior so I want nothing but your utter most respect for her, do I make myself clear?”

“Yes Ma’am.” They chanted in response. Taeyeon was impressed. Yuri went from a likeable outgoing person to a badass (slightly terrifying) woman in under a second.

 

“Shin Hyejeong.” Yuri called, eyeing a woman who stood. “Come with me, Miss Kim will be shadowing you from now on.”

The girl stood, and walked over. She towered over Taeyeon, and had an emotionless expression. She was incredibly attractive in her uniform and knew it as she walked with a sway in her hips and a smirk on her lips.

“Hyejeong is one of our best Taeyeon, you’ll be rooming with her and following her for the next few weeks to understand how everything runs around here. Now let’s get you up to your room.”

 

Taeyeon felt unfortunately short in the elevator ride up - standing in the middle of two giants.

“You will be staying in my room.” Hyejeong spoke for the first time. “Our dorm has 2 more rooms. All the girls should be in now, so I’ll introduce you.”

Hyejeong stepped in first, and all the four girls turned and smiled.

“Dong dongie!” One chirped, launching herself onto Hyejeong in the form of an attack hug.

“Dong dong? That’s a new one Hyejeong.” Yuri chuckled.

Everyone immediately stiffened, and the woman who had tackled Hyejeong awkwardly let go and scratched the back of her head.

“General Kwon… I didn’t see you there…” She said, clearly embarrassed.

“It’s nice to see your appreciation for your Commander, Seolhyun.” She smiled at the woman, before facing the rest of the room. “Everyone this is Kim Taeyeon, she will be staying with you in Hyejeong’s room.”

Then she addressed Taeyeon. “I’ll have your bag delivered up here, and your bike is in my personal storage. I’ll leave you all to get acquainted.”

 

Once Yuri had left, everyone made their way over to Taeyeon and introduced themselves.

“Taeyeon,” Hyejeong spoke, “This is Jimin, Seolhyun, Jiyeon and Eunjung.”

Everyone started asking questions to the newcomer, and they all sat down and listened while Taeyeon explained how she got there and why she left home.

 

“We haven’t had a new recruit from outside in years.” Jimin explained. “The last person who found us tried to break us down from the inside - and it worked. We ended up split into three locations based off different orders each camp had received, and two were ambushed by the city army. We’re effectively what remained and rebuilt.”

“I learned of the Resistance through a propaganda poster.” Taeyeon stated.

“And that was probably the last poster we ever produced. All of us know someone who lost their life because of that outsider, most of the privates join because their parents are veterans, it’s in our blood.” Jimin continued, explaining the history. “No one usually gets this far after entering camp before Yuri interrogates them, exiles them, or locks them up. How come you got through?”

“She saved a kid.” Jiyeon spoke for the first time. Then she addressed Taeyeon directly, “Me and Jungie were on the helicopter team which brought her in.”

“I don’t know what you did Taeyeon, but she wasn’t going to live much longer. You’ve got a lot of people’s respect here.” Eunjung added.

 

After repeating what she had told Yuri earlier in the day about manipulating light, everyone was in complete awe of the blonde. She did a few simple tricks, before they were interrupted by Yuri once again. She had Taeyeon’s bag in her right hand, and  walked into Hyejeong’s room, becconing Taeyeon to follow.

 

“Now Taeyeon, like everyone else I’ve given you a locker downstairs with all your gear. There’s the uniform and weapons, as well as the weapons I found in your bag. While you are free to change throughout the day, training clothes are on the end of your bed, and your uniform must be worn for any other official activities but Hyejeong will guide you through it.”

Yuri’s voice then softened and she sat down on the bed, gesturing to Taeyeon to sit next to her.

“You’ve joined us at a bad time Tae, I’m not going to lie to you. We have a debriefing which you will be attending tomorrow, but tensions are high - we haven’t been this close to war in a long time so you have to make sure you’re prepared to fight. I have scheduled our lab team to work with you on what you know about light, and hopefully we can use the city’s tech against them. You’ve got a big day tomorrow, get some rest and talk to your dorm, they’re going to be your family around here so hold them close.”

 

She got up and walked to the door, leaving Taeyeon to reflect on what she’d been told. She picked up her training uniform and observed it. Everyone was given a jet black skintight jumpsuit and boots. Alongside it was some minimalist armour, which covered the knees, shoulders and back.

 

Hyejeong walked in not much later.

“You okay Newbie?” She asked, clapping Taeyeon on the back as she walked past.

“There’s just a lot to take in.”

“Cheer up, you’ll enjoy it here soon. Seolhyun is making everyone play karaoke next door, let’s forget about everything else for now, okay?”

Taeyeon nodded, letting Hyejeong lead her by the hand into the next room.

 

Taeyeon woke the next morning to Hyejeong’s alarm. The younger woman got up quickly, changing into her training uniform.

“Put your jumpsuit on Tae, we have a debreifing this morning so we’ll be changing into the proper attire in the locker room.”

 

Seolhyun was the only one up in the common room area, and she was in the kitchen with two packages in her hands. She walked over and handed them to Hyejeong and Taeyeon, smiling. Hyejeong bent down a bit and kissed her on the cheek, whispering “You’re the best Seol.” before heading out the door with the new recruit close in pursuit.

 

“You guys are dating?” Taeyeon asked, curiously.

“We are, I’m very lucky.” Hyejeong replied, opening the package and revealing a breakfast sandwich. “She makes me breakfast whenever I have an early morning.”

“You’re definitely lucky, this tastes gorgeous.” Taeyeon moaned, savoring the taste.

“Enjoy it, we have a long morning ahead of us.”

 

They entered the changing rooms, and Hyejeong directed Taeyeon straight to her locker, which was positioned next to her team’s. They pulled on their uniforms, and Taeyeon felt tingles rushing around her body when she looked at what she was wearing.

 

Her jacket was ebony, the seams etched with royal gold. It was a variation of a trench coat, with the front buttoning up and a tail flowing behind her legs. Two leather belts rested on her waist, with holsters hugging her thighs to fit a rapier and gun.

 

She had dark grey steel armour on her shoulders, which strapped to her biceps with gold buckles, and the same material covering her lower arm. As she moved her hands, the armour plating flowed with it freely, moving as if it was made of fabric rather than metal. On her lower body were shorts, which hugged her slender legs and stretched down with thigh garters which hooked onto over the knee boots.

 

“You really suit that, c’mon - we have to get going.” Hyejeong complemented, leading them through to the armoury, where she handed Taeyeon a dagger for her belt, a pistol for her leg, and a rifle which strapped onto her back. “Weapons are compulsory when we’re on duty.” She added.

 

They entered a dark meeting room, which already contained a few people. Hyejeong greeted them, guestering Taeyeon to her seat. Yuri entered, and locked eyes with Taeyeon, waltzing over to her and explaining the proceedings of the next hour.

 

“We will have our main leader here, General Kahi. She governed all of the regiments, but now it’s only mine which is left. She rarely visits unless it’s an emergency. This means you’re going to be hearing a lot which might be hard to take in but try your best.” Yuri explained. “You’re in here with all the highest ranking officers, and though it isn’t decided yet, I think you will be in their ranks soon. Just do your best and I will judge where I what privileges I want to give you. I’m putting a lot of trust in you, because I believe you know how we can protect our soldier’s lives and possibly even win this war. Don’t let me down.”

 

Yuri finished talking to Taeyeon and then turned to address everyone else.

“Kahi is arriving now, everyone resume your seats.”

Suddenly, all the seats bar one at the table were occupied. Taeyeon followed in suit, as the seated members stood to attention along with everyone else.

 

Merely seconds later, the two doors burst open, and in walked the General, followed by two guards. Taeyeon was in awe, she was a complete badass. Her uniform was adorned with badges and pins. She clearly had the highest honours as a soldier and leader, and damn she looked good.

“Thank you for gathering at such short notice, be seated.” She spoke in an elegant voice, taking her seat at the head of the table; waving her hand to dismiss her guards.

“May I have the report on what the happened yesterday please?”

Papers and files were handed on, and the next few minutes were silent as she skimmed through everything.

“Commander Shin, deliver the verbal report.” Hyejeong stood and described the events of the previous day.

“0800, we received word of the attack being imminent. By 0812 the shields were up around the main base but at 0819 the senate had bombers flying over the outermost village. 0841 our troops had reached the village and evacuated any survivors. That’s it Ma’am.”

“This response time should be quicker but given the surprise of the attack this is excusable.” Kahi replied after Hyejeong sat back down. “Kwon, I want your Senate insider to relay how the location of base was obtained and position troops ready until we can check if the treat is still imminent. Until then, we’re off radar: barriers up and soldiers deployed 24/7. Am I clear?”

“Of course General.” Yuri replied, her voice monotone.

 

Kahi let the table’s occupants finish taking their notes and organising documents before she spoke again.

“Next, we need a solution. Each attack leads to more casualties and damag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter