Hanging By a Thread

Deal? Deal.

Ji Hyun comes over the next day. Hyun Woo is giving her the cold shoulder, but he also wants her to tell him who the man she was with was.

“How did you know,” she asks.

“Just answer my question. Who is he,” he asks stern.

“He's just a friend.”

“You share a drink with your friend?”

“We didn't share it. The drink was his. He just got the second straw incase I wanted some, but I swear I didn't drink any.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.” She hugs him. “I would never cheat on you.”

He hugs her back.

“I have good news,” he says. “We will file for a divorce once my parents come back. Ah Ran will convince my parents.”

“Really? Are we going to be finally married?”

She hugs him tighter.

A few days later, his parents come back. The first question they asked was, “Was Hyun Woo good to you while we were gone?”

“He was,” Ah Ran replies. “Better than I asked for.”

“That's great to hear. We were scared that he was going to treat you badly,” his mom says.

“He treated me kindly,” Ah Ran reassures. “However, there is one thing I want to say.”

“What is it?”

“First, I don't want you to blame Hyun Woo. He's done nothing wrong. I'm the one who's at fault.”

“What's wrong?”

“I want a divorce.”

“A divorce,” his dad asks.

“Please don't blame Hyun Woo,” Ah Ran says. “He's done nothing wrong.”

“Is there anything that we're all doing wrong,” his mom asks.

“No. You are all very kind to me. It's just me. I'm the one who can't adjust. I'm sorry for disappointing you both.”

“If you feel like you're trapped and not fitting in,” his dad says. “I won't force you to live here. If a divorce is what you two want, then I'll give you my permission.”

“Thank you, dad,” Ah Ran says.

“We'll talk to your parents for you,” his mom says.

“Thank you, mom,” Ah Ran says.

Ah Ran and Hyun Woo walks out of the room.

“So it's set,” Ah Ran says. “We're getting a divorce.”

“Yeah,” Hyun Woo says plainly. “We are.”

When Hyun Woo tells Ji Hyun, she was overjoyed. When Ah Ran’s parents are informed about it, they were disappointed, but they agreed. When the workers heard about it, they were sad.

His parents informed them that the divorce will take place tomorrow morning.

That night, as they lie in bed, the two couldn't sleep. The divorce is hanging onto them like a ghost.

“It's really going to happen,” Hyun Woo says.

“Yeah. It is.”

“Thank you,” he pauses. “For following through with our deal.”

“It would've been wrong if I didn't follow through.”

They lie still staring at the ceiling.

“We should sleep,” Ah Ran says. “We have to go out early tomorrow. Goodnight.”

She turns her back to him.

He keeps staring at the ceiling. He wants to keep talking. He wants to do anything that will keep them up. He doesn't want them to go tomorrow. His head turns to her. She is lying completely still, but she wasn't sleeping. She was feeling the way he was feeling, but she didn't know what to do. He turns his body to her. Hyun Woo wants to hold back, but he couldn't anymore. He scoots close to her and puts his arm around her waist.

“What are you doing,” she asks shocked.

“Five minutes,” he says. He puts his chin on her shoulder and pulls her close.

She likes the feeling of him holding onto her. She doesn't want him to let go, but she knows that he must in the morning.

In the morning, Ah Ran wakes up to see that she is still in his arms. She was warm and comfortable. Ah Ran turns her body to see Hyun Woo already awake.

“Good morning,” he greets.

She smiles and fixes her position until she is comfortable. Ah Ran closes her eyes again.

He tucks strands of her hair away from her face.

Her eyes open, and Hyun Woo greets her with a smile. She smiles back seeing his smiling eyes, his bed hair, and his morning face. She feels lucky to be seeing this because she gets to see all of him while other people only get to see what he looks like after he fixes himself, but everything will change pretty soon. As soon as they sign those papers, the two of them will go their separate ways.

“What time is it,” Ah Ran asks.

“About six,” he replies.

She turns on her back and rubs her eyes. Ah Ran climbs out of bed and heads to the bathroom. Once the both of them are finished freshening up, they head downstairs. His mom and dad are nowhere in sight.

“Yerin,” Hyun Woo asks. “Where did mom and dad go?”

“They left early this morning,” Yeri replies. “They had a meeting to attend, so they rescheduled the divorce to tomorrow.”

“Thank you.”

Ah Ran and Hyun Woo didn't know what to do. If the divorce is tomorrow, they have to spend another day and another night together.

Ah Ran leaves the living room while Hyun Woo stayed. She heads to the kitchen to see the workers already working, so she helps them.

“You're not really getting a divorce are you,” the head worker asks.

“I am,” Ah Ran replies.

Everyone frowns.

“We're going to miss you,” the head worker says.

“I'll miss each and everyone of you as well,” Ah Ran replies.

The evening comes. Ah Ran is outside mending the garden.

The sun is high in the sky. The sky is clear. The weather is cool with no breeze.

Ah Ran is squatting in front of the garden and pulling out weeds.

Hyun Woo squats down next to her.

“Are you sure it's okay for you to be out here,” Hyun Woo asks.

“I'll be fine,” she assures. “I have a water bottle with me.” She shows him it.

“Do you need help,” he asks.

“You can get the watering can and start watering from that side,” she replies as she puts the water bottle down.

He stands up and does as he is told.

Ah Ran is still pulling out the weeds. As she is doing so, one, in particular, wasn't coming out. She pulled and pulled, but it wouldn't budge.

Hyun Woo sees her struggling, so he goes help. He puts his hand on top of hers and helps her pull.

Shocked, she looks at him.

“Hurry and pull,” he says. “This weed is not going to pull itself out.”

The both of them pulled together with all their strength. The weed pops out, and Ah Ran falls back. She gasps, but Hyun Woo catches her in his arms. She looks up at him in shock while he looks down at her worried. Without knowing, he dips his head down and plants a kiss on her lips. Her eyes widen in shock, and he quickly pulls away. Realizing what he's done, he immediately pushes her up and lets her go.

“I'm sorry,” he says. “I didn't mean to.”

She backs away and stares blankly at the ground not knowing what to say.

“I.”

She turns away and grabs her water bottle. Ah Ran quickly heads inside where she puts her hand to her beating heart. She closes her eyes and takes deep breaths hoping that’ll calm her heart down. Then, she gently puts her index finger onto her lips. The kiss replays in her head, making her heart beat even faster. She sighs and hits her head on the wall knowing that this is trouble.

Hyun Woo is sitting on the ground. He’s thinking about his action, and how he must have offended her. But he couldn’t complain. For some time now, he’s been having some weird feelings towards Ah Ran, and what he just did made him realize what he really wanted.

“Hyun Woo,” Ji Hyun calls for him.

He looks up to see Ji Hyun walking over to him.

“What are you doing,” she asks. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” he replies as he stands up. “What are you doing here?”

“I missed you,” she says hugging him.

“Ji Hyun,” Hyun Woo says taking her hands off of him. “Let’s go inside.”

“Okay.”

She follows him inside.

“Did you sign the papers yet,” Ji Hyun asks.

“No. My parents aren’t home,” Hyun Woo answers. “We’ll sign it tomorrow.”

Hyun Woo is walking in front of Ji Hyun. This makes her upset. He would usually have his arm around her, but he’s pushing her away.

Ah Ran is in the kitchen helping like always. When there is nothing to do, she goes wipe the tables around the house. When she come to the living room, she sees Ji Hyun and Hyun Woo watching tv like always. Ah Ran removes all the items on the table and sets them aside before she wipes the tables. Ah Ran doesn’t notice since her head is down, but Hyun Woo is taking glances at her. After she is done, she places everything on the table again, and walks upstairs.

“I’ll be back,” Hyun Woo tells Ji Hyun.

He stands up and goes upstairs. He quickly catches up to Ah Ran and catches her wrist.

“Ah Ran,” he says.

He turns her around.

“What happened outside,”

“It’s okay,” Ah Ran says cutting him off. “I’ll call it an accident.”

“But,”

“Ji Hyun is waiting for you. You should go back.”

She pulls her hand away and walks away.

Hyun Woo walks after her and grabs her wrist again.

“Let me ask you something,” he says. “I didn’t offend you did I?”

“No,” she says avoiding eye contact. “You didn’t.”

“Then why don’t you look at me,” he asks.

Ah Ran slowly lifts her head up. “Do you think I can look at you after what we did?” She pulls her hand out of his again and walks away.

He stands there not knowing what to do.

“Is she embarrassed,” he asks himself. “Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

Hyun Woo walks back to the living room and joins Ji Hyun on the couch. She snuggles with him. He looks at the tv, but his mind is somewhere else. Ah Ran is on his mind. Is she embarrassed or not?

“I'll be back,” Hyun Woo tells Ji Hyun.

He stands up and walks to the backyard. He takes out his phone from his pocket and calls Ho Seok.

“What,” Ho Seok asks annoyed. “I said I didn't want to hear from you again.”

“I have to ask you a question. When a girl is too embarrassed to look at you after a kiss, what does it mean?”

“When a girl is embarrassed after a kiss? Would that mean she likes you?”

“Would it,” Hyun Woo asks hopeful.

“Or would it mean she hates you?”

“Why would she hate me if she's embarrassed?”

“True. Who are you talking about? I know you're not talking about Ji Hyun. Is it Ah Ran? You two kissed?”

“It just happened.”

“So what? You two are an actual couple now?”

“No. We're getting a divorce tomorrow.”

“You are? That's sad.”

“It's what we agreed on.”

“You don't have to do what you say you know?”

“I know, but it just happened to be this way.”

“You love her don't you?”

“I think it's slowly becoming like that.”

“Well it's not too late. You haven't got your divorce yet.”

“Do you think I can make things right?”

“With Ji Hyun? I don't think so. She can be,” Ho Seok pauses. “Moody. And Ah Ran? From what I've heard, she can be stubborn. Why is your life so complicated?”

“I don't know.”

“Well, make your decision soon. Everything will change tomorrow.”

Hyun Woo goes back to join Ji Hyun in the living room.

Ji Hyun stays until his parents come back, and stays through dinner. While eating dinner, Ah Ran is sitting next to his mom and Ji Hyun is sitting next to Hyun Woo.

“So,” Ji Hyun says. “The divorce is tomorrow?”

“Yes,” his mom answers. “Sadly.”

“You don't have to be sad,” Ji Hyun says. “I'll be here. I'll be good to you and dad and of course my loving husband.” Ji Hyun hooks her arm with Hyun Woo’s.

“Please don't,” his mom says. “Don't talk like you're already married to Hyun Woo. Please know your place.”

Ji Hyun unhooks her arms from Hyun Woo and grimaces. She waits for Hyun Woo to defend her, but he continues to eat.

When Hyun Woo walks Ji Hyun out, she starts complaining about his mom which makes him mad.

“Please have some respect,” Hyun Woo says. “You're talking about my mom.”

“Alright. I'm sorry. I'm just a little on the edge.”

She hugs him.

“Goodnight. I'll miss you,” she says.

“Drive safe,” he says pulling away from her.

She tiptoes to give him a kiss, but he rejects it.

“I'm tired,” he says.

“Okay.”

She heads to her car and drives off.

Hyun Woo heads home.

“Hyun Woo,” his dad says. “You know even after you divorce Ah Ran, we won’t let you marry Ji Hyun.”

“I kind of figured,” Hyun Woo replies.

“So get this straight. If you really want the divorce then we’ll happily agree, but don’t make a decision that you will regret.”

“I don’t know anymore, dad. Let's just hope for the best.”

Hyun Woo heads to his room and gets ready for bed. Ah Ran is in the shower, so he has to wait. When she comes out, he goes in.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: How was this update? Did you guys enjoy it? Please let me know in the comments!
Guys, I'm sorry to announce this, but this is coming to an end very soon. I have one more update, and then the story ends. Are you guys sad? I am. I had such a fun time writing this, posting this, and reading your comments. I'm so thankful for each and everyone of you! Thank you so much for all the support and love. If it weren't for you guys, I would've probably deleted this story. Anyway, thank you again, so so much! Love you!!! *MUAH*