Perfect Timing

Deal? Deal.

The next day, Hyun Woo gets a call from his dad. His dad tells him to go to an event for him located in town.

“Must I go,” Hyun Woo asks into the phone.

“You must. Just stay there for a few hours and come back home. You must take Ah Ran with you too,” his dad says.

“Fine,” he says defeated. “What time?”

“This evening at five. It lasts until midnight, but stay until nine.”

“Okay.”

“You must go no matter what.”

“Okay. I'll go.”

Hyun Woo hangs up and goes find Ah Ran. She is in the back yard watering the grass.

“Ah Ran,” Hyun Woo calls.

She turns around and sees him wave her over. Ah Ran turns the hose off and sets it on the ground before she walks over to him.

“What,” she asks him.

“We have to go somewhere today at five,” he answers.

“Where?”

“An event.”

“Why?”

“Because dad wants us to go.”

“Oh. Okay, but I don't have anything to wear.”

“Just wear what your friend bought you.”

“Isn't that a little too simple?”

“It'll be fine.”

“I'll think of something.”

After Ah Ran is done watering the grass, she goes to the bedroom and into the closet. She looks through her dresses. Some were simple. Some were complex. She didn't know which one to choose. She wants one that isn't too complex, yet simple and comfortable. At the end, she ends up choosing a tanned dress.

When it was about time to go, she gets ready. Ah Ran puts on makeup, puts her hair up, and puts the dress on.

Hyun Woo also prepares himself. He finishes first, so he has to wait for Ah Ran to finish. Once she finishes, she goes to him.

“Ready,” she says.

He looks at her and freezes. He's never seen her so dolled up before. The dress made her look beautiful, and her hair and makeup complimented her.

“Let's go,” she tells Hyun Woo.

“Ye. Yeah,” he stutters. “Let's go.”

He grabs his wallet, and they head downstairs.

The car drive is quiet. Hyun Woo is thinking about Ah Ran, and how beautiful she is tonight. He can also smell the perfume she sprayed on. Ah Ran, on the other hand, is thinking about Hyun Woo. She may not be showing it, but she thinks he's pretty handsome tonight. He's wearing a black tuxedo, and his hair is sprayed back. She could also smell his cologne that he sprayed.

Hyun Woo parks his car in the parking lot, and they both climb out of the car.

Ah Ran waits for Hyun Woo to start walking first, then she follows. They walk side by side, and he extends his arm to her.

“What are you doing,” she asks.

“You’re supposed to hold onto my hand,” he says.

She does so, and they walk in.

“We must be sure to look like a happy couple,” he tells her.

“I know.”

“Don’t embarrass me or yourself.”

“I know. You can stop telling me. Worry about yourself.”

They enter the event, and already so many people are greeting Hyun Woo. He greets them back with a smile. Ah Ran on the other hand is looking around.

The room is big with tables of food and waiters who are carrying around wine to serve. A huge chandelier hangs on top of the ceiling. The ladies heels click clack on the waxed floor. Everyone is talking and laughing.

Hyun Woo and Ah Ran are walking around. Hyun Woo is talking the most.

“Hyun Woo,” a man calls.

Hyun Woo and Ah Ran turns around to see a man walk up to them.

“Hyung Won,” Hyun Woo says surprised. They shake hands. “What are you doing here?”

“I came instead of my father,” Hyung Won says. “He’s out of town.”

“Same.”

“Who is this beautiful lady? Your wife?”

“Yes.”

“I thought you getting married was just a rumour. I guess it’s real.”

“It sure is.”

“Hello,” Hyung Won greets Ah Ran. “I’m Hyung Won. Hyun Woo’s friend.”

“Hello,” Ah Ran greets back. “I’m Ah Ran.”

“I didn’t know Hyun Woo’s wife would be this beautiful.”

“Thank you,” Ah Ran replies.

“She’s okay. Once you see the real them, they’re not all that special,” Hyun Woo says.

“Really? I thought she’d look even more beautiful once you get married. Am I wrong? You get to live together and not separate. Maybe I should get married. Just the thought of it,” Hyung Won stops and smiles.

“You’re weird,” Hyun Woo says.

“Hyun Woo,” another man calls.

Hyun Woo greets him.

“Roam around if you want,” Hyun Woo tells Ah Ran. “I’ll be around. Don’t cause trouble.”

“I won’t,” Ah Ran replies.

Hyun Woo and Hyung Won both walk away. Ah Ran looks around. There is no one she can talk to. She walks around and eventually ends up at the food table. Ah Ran grabs a cupcake and starts to eat. Pretty soon, she has almost ate all the food that was served there. Ah Ran is standing in the corner drinking a glass of wine when a man approaches her.

“Hello,” he greets her.

“Hi,” she greets back.

“Are you here alone? I’ve noticed that you’ve been standing here and eating the food.”

“I’m not here alone. My husband is here with me.”

“Where is he?”

“Somewhere. I’m not sure.”

“Who is he?”

“I’m sure you know him. Son Hyun Woo.”

“Oh. Him. Yeah I know him. Everyone does. His parents are well known.”

“Of course.”

“So you’re his wife. I never knew he had such a beautiful wife.”

“Thank you.”

“It’s too bad that you’re taken. I came over hoping you wouldn’t be.”

Hyun Woo is talking to some friends when he sees Ah Ran talking to the man. He sees Ah Ran smiling with  the man. He’s never seen her smile with a man like that before. It was as if she was enjoying his company. Hyun Woo excuses himself and walks over to Ah Ran.

“What’s your name,” Ah Ran asks the man.

“Lee Jae In,” he answers. “What’s yours?”

“Kang Ah Ran.”

“And she’s with me,” Hyun Woo says putting his arm around her waist.

“What are you doing,” she asks him surprised.

Ah Ran tries to push him away, but he holds her tight.

“I’m holding onto my wife,” Hyun Woo says. He looks at her and smiles. She frowns at him.

“Hyun Woo,” Jae In says. “You must not know me, but I know you. I’m Jae In. Your parents and my parents collaborated not too long ago.”

“I know,” Hyun Woo says.

“Sorry, I was just talking to your wife. She looked bored.”

“Yeah? Let me tell you this. If she looks bored, just leave her alone because I will come and talk to her. Her being bored isn’t your business.”

“Why are you being like this,” Ah Ran asks. “We were just talking.”

“I’m just looking out for my wife.”

“Well you don’t have to,” Ah Ran says pushing him away. “I’m a grown woman who can look after herself.”

“Well,” Jae In says. “I should leave you two alone.” He walks away.

“You sure looked like you had fun,” Hyun Woo says picking up an egg tart.

“I was just talking until you rudely interrupted me,” Ah Ran says.

“I was trying to save you.”

“From what? Making friends?”

“From strangers. Who knows what he would’ve done without me here.”

“He knows I’m your wife. I told him.”

“Do you think that matters to him?”

Hyun Woo turns to face Ah Ran.

“What? I can’t make any guy friends without you thinking that they’re going to ually harass me?”

“Look. I don’t want to fight in front of all these people. Let’s talk about this later.”

When later comes, Ah Ran didn’t have the energy to talk to Hyun Woo. She is lying in bed after her shower, and so is he.

“Are we not going to talk,” Hyun Woo asks.

“I'm too tired to talk to you,” Ah Ran replies.

Her back is toward him while he is on his back.

“I'll just say one thing than. Be careful,” he says.

She doesn't reply.

The next day, Ah Ran asks one of the workers to go clean the bedrooms, and so they do.

Ji Hyun comes to visit. She and Hyun Woo and both watching tv, Ji Hyun has her head lying on Hyun Woo’s shoulder. She is hugging his arm while he's just sitting there.

“I'll be back,” she tells him.

She stands up and goes use the bathroom. When she comes back, she snuggles with him again.

Hyun Woo then stands up, He goes to the kitchen to grab a drink. As he is doing so, he keep taking secret glances at Ah Ran. She isn’t looking at him though. Hyun Woo goes to the bedroom. He walks into the bathroom. When he comes out, he walks to the door, but stops. Hyun Woo turns around and looks at his shelf. He notices something different about his antiques. Hyun Woo walks over to the shelf. He picks up his favorite antique and an arm falls off. He bends down to pick it up from the ground. He tries to put the arm back in place, but the hand falls back to the ground. Hyun Woo picks the hand up in anger. He goes downstairs and calls for everyone to meet in the living room.

“Who came into my room today,” Hyun Woo asks.

The antique is standing on the coffee table. Hyun Woo and Ji Hyun are sitting together on the couch.

No one answers.

“I was in there,” Ah Ran says.

She is standing with the workers.

“And what were you doing,” Hyun Woo asks.

“I was in their this morning when we woke up,” Ah Ran says.

“Was there anyone else?”

No one answers.

“A few of the workers went to clean the bedrooms,” Ah Ran answers.

“Who went into my room,” Hyun Woo asks.

No one replies.

“Who ever went in there, tell me what happened to this,” he says showing them his antique.

“What happened,” Ah Ran asks.

“You tell me,” Hyun Woo says angry. “I went up there and this was already like this.”

“I don’t know how that happened.”

“Whoever you are, confess or you’ll be fired,” Hyun Woo says. He stands up, and so does Ji Hyun. They head to the bedroom.

The workers all go back to what they were doing, but Ah Ran follows Hyun Woo up to his room.

“If anything, I’ll try my best to buy you a new one,” Ji Hyun assures him.

“Thanks,” Hyun Woo says. “You’re the only one who knows what to say.”

They are both standing in front of the shelf.

“Hyun Woo,” Ah Ran says. She walks into the room and stands by the door.

Hyun Woo turns around, and so does Ji Hyun.

“Is everything okay,” Ah Ran asks.

“Does everything look okay to you,” Ji Hyun asks back.

“I’m sorry for what happened.”

“If you’re sorry, than are you the one who broke it,” Hyun Woo accuses.

“No. I really don’t know who broke it.”

“Last time was my money, and now it’s my antique. Tell me, since I left this room before you, what did you do in here?”

“I washed up and changed into new clothes. I fixed the bed, and then I left the room.”

“Do you know who came in here today to clean?”

“I don’t know. I’ll pay for the expense. If anything, I’ll buy you a new one.”

“The one I have is limited edition. The ones that are selling right now are fakes. It won't be the same.”

“Then just pay someone to fix it.”

“It won't be the same.”

“What do you want me to do than?”

“Just stay away from the shelf.”

“You’re speaking as if I’m the one who broke it.”

“I’m not implying it just to you. Go tell everyone to stay away from this shelf!”

“Why are you yelling at me?”

“Because you keep bothering me!”

“I’m just trying to comfort you.”

“I don’t need your comfort!”

“Of course not,” she says after a pause. “Why would you want my comfort? You accused me of taking your money, so why wouldn’t you suspect me of breaking your toy.”

“This is not a toy,” he says walking over to her. “This is an antique.”

“Whatever it is, you can just replace it or fix it, but you’re making this into such a big deal when it doesn’t ‘need to be a big deal.”

“It is a big deal! My favorite antique is broken! No one understands how I feel!”

“I understand,” Ji Hyun says walking over to Hyun Woo. She wraps her arms around his. “I feel your pain.”

“This is childish behavior,” Ah Ran says.

“If you think this is childish behavior, than leave,” Hyun Woo says stern.

“Fine,” Ah Ran says. “We knew this day would come, so let this be the day.”

Ah Ran turns around and storms off.

Hyun Woo was so mad, but he didn’t want Ah Ran to actually leave even he wanted her to. He walks after her and grabs her wrist.

She stops and turns around. Ah Ran yanks her hand out of his grip.

“Leaving when mom and dad is not here isn’t good,” Hyun Woo says.

“It’s perfect,” Ah Ran says. “That way it’ll be easier for the both of us.”

She starts to walk again, but he grabs her wrist.

“Let go,” she says stern, but he wouldn’t let go.

“Just let her go,” Ji Hyun says. “She’s willing to go right? It’ll make things easier for all of us.” Ji Hyun puts her hands on Hyun Woo’s and pulls his hand away from Ah Ran, but he wouldn’t let go. Ah Ran pulls her hands out of his and falls down.

Ji Hyun snickers to herself.

Hyun Woo wants to help her up, but Ji Hyun is holding onto him tightly.

Ah Ran stands up herself and leaves. She grabs her keys and purse and heads to her car. Ah Ran turns on the ignition and drives off.

Hyun Woo goes downstairs to witness everything. He wants to go after her, but Ji Hyun was there, and this is what he wanted.

“Finally,” Ji Hyun says. “Now we wait for your parents to come. We finalize your divorce, and it’s time for us to wed.” She smiles widely, but Hyun Woo is worried.

Ah Ran calls Seol to ask if she could come over. Once she receives Seol’s address, Ah Ran drives to Seol’s house. She is sitting on the couch. Seol gives Ah Ran a glass of water.

“Thanks,” Ah Ran says.

“Sure,” Seol replies.

Seol sits next to Ah Ran.

“What's wrong,” Seol asks. “Did something happen?”

“It never was meant to be,” Ah Ran says. “Hyun Woo and I.”

“Did something happen?”

“We got into a fight. One of his action figure broke. We don't know who broke it.”

“Then why are you here?”

“His words. The way he said it. He made it sound like I was the one who broke it.”

“Did you?”

“Of course not. One of the first thing he told me was to not touch his action figures.”

“Then who broke it?”

“I don't know.”

“You two must've had a huge argument for you to be here.”

“He told me to leave, so I did.”

“Why?”

“We told each other that we would leave when the time is right. I guess the time is now.”

“No. I don't think so. I think you two just need some time alone. After you're happy again, you two will love each together again.”

“We never loved each other. This marriage was never meant to work out. He even accused me of stealing his money.”

“That was an accident. Didn't he figure out who stole it?”

“Yeah.”

“Who did?”

“I don't know. I never asked him. I feel like it isn't my problem, so I didn't ask.”

“Okay. But I think you should go back to Hyun Woo. That's when you're happy again of course and when he's happy. You two should talk and work it out.”

“I really don't want to go back.”

“But think about your parents. They're not going to want this.”

“Must I suffer for their happiness.”

“I know it's harsh, but trust me, it'll get better with time.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For your comments! I love reading them!! Your comments are what makes me want to update!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for my one upvoter, apple28 ! You are the best!! I love each and everyone of you so much!! *MUAH!!*