Chapter 2

The Last Time We Met
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Onew walked towards Jinri's room to see what was going on. He peaked through the door to see Jinri and Minho laughing together with genuine happiness written across both faces. He smiled towards himself because he thought it cute that his sister was getting along with his exchange student, rather than making fun of him for his looks and causing uncomfortableness around the house. For a moment he thought he saw his sister's cheeks fluster, but he shook his head. "Ani, Jinri wouldn't like him, would she?" Thought Onew.

Onew knocked the door when the laughter died down and peaked through the door, "Minho, we have to finish our assignment."

"Mianhe." Replied Minho.

"It's fine Minho, don't seem so tense. In this house we're all best friends alright?" Onew flashed a sincere smile to show his candid attitude towards Minho.

"Thank you so much for accepting me so quickly guys. I was afraid that my exchange family wouldn't accept me but you guys are just so kind."

"It's nothing Minho." Minho left Jinri's room and entered Onew's where they continued their assignment.

As Jinri was walking towards the bathroom to get ready for bed, she heard Minho's low and masculine voice speaking and became interested in what they were talking about. She placed her ear against the door as she heard Minho solemnly speaking.

"My parents initially didn't want me coming to Korea because they thought I'd get bullied more, but that was why I wanted to do this exchange program. I am Korean and I wanted to learn the other half of my culture that I never had the chance to learn. I wanted to be in a different place and experience new ways. My dad owns a business in Korea, but when he visits the business he never brings me along." Minho paused and then continued in a pained voice, "I was bullied a lot in America and I just wanted to leave my school."

Jinri heard Onew's voice fill with concern as he tried to comfort Minho and change the subject.

"It's okay. You don't have to change the subject. It actually feels better to open up to someone rather than keep it to myself. I know you guys can be trusted with my secrets."

Jinri assumed that Onew nodded in return because Minho continued after a short pause. "I had one close friend. She had been through a lot with me and we have been friends since childhood. I’ve liked her for some time but we kind of diverged into different paths. She was once a nerd like me but now she infiltrated herself into the popular group and got herself a boyfriend. Sometimes I feel like America just isn’t for me. Everything bad seems to happen. And, to answer the question, that’s why I feel like Seoul is home.”

Jinri didn’t know how to feel. When Minho brought up that he liked someone, she felt a weird feeling stir in her heart, but she felt at ease when Minho said Seoul was like home.

“This might be touchy subject, do you want me to––”

“Just ask.”

Onew didn’t know how to start so he asked directly. “Do you still like her?”

Jinri’s heart began to pound loudly, and she feared that someone else would hear it. She took a deep breath in, and held it until he replied.

“Yeah, I do.”

Jinri felt a wave of disappointment and she didn’t know why. “He can like whoever he wants. I don’t care.” Jinri thought to herself.

“Jinri, honey, what are you doing?” Said Jinri’s umma.

Jinri quickly turned around and tried to muster a lie. “I-I-I was going to the bathroom. Right, I was getting ready for bed.”

Jinri’s umma didn’t seem to be convinced by such a statement but let Jinri on the loose. She walked up to Jinri and sternly whispered in her ear, “Don’t spy on your brother.” Jinri nodded and then let out the breath she realized she had still been holding in. Right as Jinri began walking, the door to Onew’s room opened.

“Oh Jinri, are you going to use the bathroom?” Asked Onew.

“Y-y-yeah. I was going to take a shower.”

Onew knew whenever Jinri was stuttering that meant she was hiding something. “Have you been spying on us?” Onew asked, referring back to him and Minho. When Minho heard Jinri’s voice, he got up from Onew’s bed and walked to the door frame with questioning eyes.

“A-ani, w-why’d you th-think that?”

Onew mocked Jinri by purposely stuttering in return, “B-b-because you’re stuttering.” Jinri rapidly put her hands up to . “So you heard the conversation?”

“You heard our conversation?” Minho asked with a hint of fear was in his voice when he spoke. Minho meant to keep the conversation between him and Onew a secret.

“Ani, I didn’t hear it. Don’t worry.” Minho let out a sigh of relief and Onew saw this. He didn’t have the heart to tell Minho that their house's doors were not soundproof. Onew communicated with Jinri through his eyes, warning her to close and stop spying on them.

----------------------------

Ring ring ring

Jinri's alarm clock began to ring. She was about to snooze her alarm when she realized Minho was in the house and she didn't want to give off a careless impression, so she stopped her alarm and sat up. The sunlight permeating through the curtains stung her eyes, but then she slowly adjusted to the lighting. Jinri looked over to her left to grab her clothing when she saw someone else on her bed. She almost screamed, but she suppressed it with her hands covering . All that left was a raspy whisper, "Minho!"

Jinri instinctively jumped out of bed. After regaining her composure, she walked to the other side of the bed. Minho was peacefully sleeping and Jinri didn't want to wake him up, but she knew that getting caught in this situation by her oppa or parents was not going to bid well. Jinri lightly poked Minho, who stirred in response. She tapped his hands, but instead of waking up, he grabbed her hands and began to mutter a girl's name, "Suzy, Suzy, Suzy, don't leave me." Jinri widened her eyes as she realized Minho was dreaming about the girl he liked, and assumed that her name was Suzy. Jinri abruptly ripped her hands out of Minho's grasp, waking Minho up.

As Minho slowly opened his eyes, he saw Jinri standing in front of him with furrowed eyebrows. He thought he was hallucinating so he rubbed his eyes, but she was still there. Minho innately pulled the blanket closer to himself...because he wasn't wearing a shirt.

Jinri cleared and then said, "Oppa, you must've accidently walked into my room yesterday instead of the guest room. Quickly get out of the room before anyone sees you in here." Jinri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter