Chapter 5

The Last Time We Met
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note: Thank you all for your supportive comments! They really mean a lot to me and I greatly appreciate you taking your time to read my story! Get ready for another long chapter and enjoy!

---------------------------

Sulli slowly opened her eyes to see a marble covered ceiling with an extravagant chandelier hanging from it. As she swallowed in nervousness, it felt as if a thousand needles were sliding down . Sulli lifted herself up, only to bring upon the prickling pain of hammers on her head. She looked around the room––no it couldn't be called a room––it was like a palace. Delicate and famous paintings hung from the shining golden walls that were so clean they were able to reflect anything that looked into it. As she looked down at the floor, she realized she wasn't wearing the same thing she had worn previously and instinctively wrapped her harms around herself. Sulli tried to find clues as to whose mansion she was in. 

While walking through the manor, she ended up in the kitchen, which was the size of half of her house. The cabinets were ornately designed and the tables were made of true granite. There sat the most unexpected person Sulli could find. Minho was sitting behind his laptop casually working.

"I see you have woken up." Noticing that Sulli was wrapping herself with her arms he said, "Before you ask any questions, don't worry, my maids changed you. They also gave you medicine to lower your fever." Minho coldly stated. Without any sympathy or compassion, Minho continued, "Next time don't be so stupid and stand out in the pouring rain while it's thundering. You're asking to get sick."

Sulli merely nodded and then stood longingly looking at Minho, who didn't even bother to look up at her. In a hoarse voice, Sulli said, "Do you not have compassion for people either? I'm trying to adjust to this new you, but it's not working."

Minho looked menacingly towards Sulli. "What did I say, do not bring up anything that has the past in it."

Sulli leaned against the wall as support, for she felt her legs weakening. "But that's all I want to do. Avoiding the past won't help, embracing it will. We all have had downsides, but we all have to embrace them at some time. They can't be avoided forever."

Minho jumped out of his seat and stood in front of Sulli while trapping her with his hands up against the wall. Sulli was afraid of the sudden space between her and Minho, which was a mere few inches, allowing her face to fluster. "I am your boss. You are my secretary. That line may never be crossed." Afterwards, Minho left his position and said, "One of my maids will take care of you."

Sulli looked at the antique clock hanging from the wall and it read 3:32 in the morning. "Your maids are still up, and why are you still up?" Sulli thought. "Wait, how is Minho this rich? He should only be a year older than I...unless he inherited this all..."

"What are you thinking about? I told you that the maid is coming down to get you. Now, go." Minho said angrily.

Sulli watched as a woman around her mother's age came into view with more medicine and a warm towel. "You may follow me Jinri."

Sulli tilted her head in confusion when she heard her birth name. "How do you know my birth name?"

While walking down the corridor, the maid replied, "Mr. Choi told me when he first carried you in."

"But, how did I end up here?" Sulli confusedly asked.

"You don't remember honey?" After setting down the washcloth and medicine, the maid allowed Sulli to lie down on the couch. "You fainted outside the office building. Thankfully, you didn't suffer any injuries because Mr. Choi was there and caught you. He brought you to his house, which is here."

Sulli replied with a short answer, "Oh." The maid did not speak after and placed the warm towel onto Sulli's head. She then allowed Sulli to drink the medicine and told her to get rest. "Thank you for your care. May I please know your name?" Sulli asked with the rest of her voice that she had left.

The maid smiled, allowing her skin to crease at the corners of her eye. "I am Kwon Ji Soon. You can call me Jisoon."

"Thank you." Sulli struggled to say as her voice was now depleted. 

"Now rest. Don't talk anymore." Jisoon said as she lightly pat Sulli's head. While watching Sulli's sleeping figure, Jisoon felt something about her that was different from any other girl. Jisoon always felt something off about that Bae Suzy, who seemed to act generous, but deep down, she seemed to embody alterior motives. For an instant, she thought of the girl lying besides her alongside with Minho, the boy she cared for since his parents' deaths. She smiled at the thought and then sighed. When Jisoon was sure that Sulli fell asleep, she asked, "Are you the one? Will you change Minho back to the boy he was? You probably hate him now, but I bet you'd have liked his personality a lot back then. He was the kindest gentleman there was, always finding time to help others and always keeping others before himself." Jisoon placed her hand on Sulli's and held it, adding extra pressure when she said, "Jinri, I have faith in you."

After gathering all the medicine, Jisoon walked to the kitchen to check on Minho, who was still working. "Mr. Choi, you should stop working for today. You need rest and we can't afford for you to end up in the hospital again." Minho nodded without acknowledging her presence, causing Jisoon to sigh helplessly. Walking up to Minho, she sat across from him and closed the laptop lid, keeping her hand firmly over it, preventing Minho from lifting the lid back up. "Mr. Choi, I have been with you since you were just a baby. I watched you grow into a young boy. At that time, you didn't know I existed. From a young boy, I watched you become a young man before my eyes. It seems just yesterday that you were so small."

Minho was becoming frustrated and dispassionately said, "I'm sorry but where is this conversation going? I don't want to be bothered."

"Exactly. It's your attitude."

Before Jisoon could continue, Minho burst. "What's wrong with my attitude. You say that I need to change, she says I need to change. Do you guys want me to become weak? I'm fine the way I am."

"Stop it Mr. Choi. You have a guest in the house who is currently sleeping. Do not yell." With a sigh, Jisoon continued. "How do you feel around Suzy? Are you planning to make her your wife?"

Minho's eyes widened. "This is not your place to talk about this with me."

"Really, as a matter of fact, it is. I can show you the legal documents if you want me to." This was enough to defeat Minho, so she waited for his answer.

"Maybe. However, I don't plan on marrying any time soon."

"Do you like Suzy? I'm not talking about in the past, I'm talking in the present." Jisoon looked straight at Minho, trying to read what his eyes were saying.

"I do not feel that this is something important right now."

"And I think it is important. That girl that you brought it. I saw it in your eyes. I've never seen your eyes look that concerned for someone, that caring for someone. You may think that I am lying, but your facial expressions gave you away more than anything else. I don't know how or when you met her, but it doesn't matter." Minho was silent and began looking down at his hands. "Don't lie to yourself...Minho." Jisoon got up from her seat, pushed it back in, and then proceeded to place the medicine away into its rightful cabinets. 

Minho was left shaking internally. "I don't like anyone. I don't like anyone. I can't show my feelings to others. I can't show my feelings to others. I'm strong. I'm strong." Minho chanted to himself. 

---------------------------

The next morning, Sulli's sore throat and headache both subsided. She slowly got up and checked the time. It read 5:20 am. Sulli rose out of the sofa and gathered her belongings. She was about to leave the mansion when Jisoon ran to her and blocked her from leaving. "You will not be walking alone in this state. I will let our drivers to drive you to work."

Sulli did not want to trouble Jisoon and quickly replied, "No Jisoon. Please, I don't want to add anymore trouble. I'm just more and more trouble, that's all I am."

Jisoon placed her hands on Sulli's shoulders and said, "You are most certainly not trouble. Have some confidence, will you? Now, you will be having breakfast here. I will get a change of clothing for you while you eat."

Before Sulli could say anything else, she was already in the kitchen with a plate of food in front of her. She made sure to eat it all as a sign of appreciation and respect towards the chefs. By the time Sulli finished, Jisoon was already prepared with her clothing.

"You can keep this." Jisoon offered as she handed Sulli the clothing.

"No, I can never do that. I will return this to you tomorrow." Sulli replied as she placed her two hands in front of her a sign of refusal.

"Listen to me. Keep it." Jisoon said as she forcefully put the clothing into Sulli's hands.  "When you're done changing, I will fix your hair and makeup." Before Sulli could say anything, Jisoon put up her index finger and placed it to Sulli's mouth. 

When Jisoon finished Sulli's makeup, she allowed Sulli to look at herself in the mirror. Sulli was in awe. The makeup was not heavy, however, it made her look brighter and more beautiful than before. From the other side of the room, Sulli heard the clicking of dress shoes descend the spiral stairs in the house, revealing Minho, who was handsomely dressed in his suit.

"Mr. Choi, one of the drivers will be taking her to work." Jisoon stated while pointing to Sulli. Minho nodded and then looked at Sulli, who mesmerized him. "She's beautiful." Minho mentally slapped himself and then thought, "No, stop it Minho." Minho quickly walked away, giving off the impression that he didn't like Sulli's outfit, or Sulli in general.

After he was out the door, Jisoon looked at Sulli and said, "Don't worry, I saw it in his eyes. He likes it." Sulli smiled, however, she was sure that Jisoon was only trying to sugar-coat the situation. After a moment of silence, Jisoon's phone rang, signalling that the driver had arrived. While leading Sulli outside the house, Sulli saw the extravagant garden along with a driveway that could fit at least five cars in width. "Your driver is Kang Sung Ho." Jisoon stated as she pointed to a man wearing a black suit and black sunglasses. Sungho bowed at Sulli's presence and opened the door for her. Sulli on the other hand felt very uncomfortable to be treated in such a way, so she smiled back awkwardly. 

The entire car ride was silent until they reached Choi Empire, in which Sungho said, "You have arrived at Choi Empire. I hope your ride was of great pleasure." He opened the door for Sulli and then let her walk on her own. Standing outside the Choi Empire was Kai. Sulli broke into a cold sweat as her heart began to pound and her knees began to shake. 

"Sul...who just drove you here and why did he open the door for you?" Kai warily asked when Sulli appeared before him.

"Kai, I can explain." Sulli nervously replied as she reached for Kai's hand.

"You better start explaining because you weren't at your house all day yesterday either." Kai began to sound angered, causing sweat beads to form on Sulli's forehead.

"Kai, lets go somewhere else to talk about this." Sulli said as she put her hand on Kai's arm. 

"No, tell me right here." Kai firmly stated as he pointed to the gro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter