Chapter 9

The Last Time We Met
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Releasing their embrace, Minho brought Sulli to his car. "Where do you plan on living then?" Minho asked, referring to Sulli's burnt house.

Sulli shrugged her shoulders as she placed her palms on her face. "I really don't know. Everything up until now has been a mess."

Looking at Sulli with concern, Minho questioned, "Are you telling your brother and parents––"

Sulli quickly looked up, eyes widened as she interrupted, "No! It's fine, I can handle this on my own."

Minho began to pat Sulli's back as he replied, "Sulli, you are a strong person, but sometimes asking for help is a good thing."

Sulli looked up at Minho as she flashed a sincere smile. "Thanks Mr. Choi."

Minho raised his eyebrows as he shook his head. Sulli saw this and was confused. "Call me a hypocrite all you want, but can you call me oppa?"

Sulli chuckled as she lightly punched Minho on the shoulder. "Yah you!" Sulli chose her words carefully as she continued her sentence, "You're the most hypocritical friend I've ever made."

Minho's smile slightly went away as he heard the word "friend". He whispered in return, "Friend...yeah."

Sensing Minho's change in mood, Sulli frowned as she asked, "Oppa, are you okay?"

Snapping out of his trance, Minho quickly looked up at Sulli as he faked a smile. "Yeah." Attempting to change the subject Minho interjected, "Do you have anything to last for tonight?"

Sulli cleared as she tried to sound confident. "Y-y-yes. I h-have s-stuff."

"You're lying. Your old habit of stuttering; I still remember it." Sulli shyly looked at her lap as she played with her thumbs. "What about this." Minho paused as he thought of a solution. "You can stay at my house for the night and––"

Sulli's eyes widened as she shook her head persistently. "Please, no. You guys have already housed me enough times and I've caused enough trouble. Plus, I know that you want personal space."

"Jinri, it's––"

Still shaking her head, Sulli interrupted, "Oppa, you're still my boss. If others find out that you're housing your secretary how bad will that sound? I know you're doing it out of a brother's favor to a sister but I'd ruin your reputation; it's not worth it." Sadly looking at herself, she continued. "You're the CEO of a multi-millionare company. And, with the comapny’s leaked information, I shouldn't be there to demolish your plans."

Minho watched as Sulli's face contorted in pain. He felt his heart hurt everytime he saw her face scream pain and despair. "I'd be cautious Jinri. Where else would you stay then?"

Sulli watched Minho's actions, feeling it hard to adjust to his original gentleman personality. "I-I-I can just rent a place."

"Using what money?" Minho asked raising his eyebrows. When Sulli didn't answer, he the car engine and began driving. Before Sulli could retort, Minho said, "Jinri, just listen to me. Take this as me doing a sister a favor, like you said." 

After crossing her arms and staring out the windshield for a few moments, Sulli finally surrendered. "Fine, oppa you win." Looking over at Minho, Sulli saw his smile. She couldn't help but stare, for his smile was beautiful. It was enough to make her heart skip a beat. "Ani, Minho and I are brother and sister just like Onew and Taemin. I shouldn't be feeling this way."

Minho sensed that Sulli was staring at him. Turning his head around to look at her, he asked, "What are you staring at, is there something on my face?"

Quickly tearing her eyes away, she felt her cheeks darken into a crimson hue, feeling the warmth rush through her body as she quietly muttered, "It's just that you're smile is really beautiful. You should smile more often." Afraid to see Minho's reaction, Sulli leaned her head on the window as she pretended to be intruiged by the city buildings.

Minho's eyes brightened as he heard Sulli's words, never feeling so blissful over such a little compliment.

The rest of the car ride lasted in silence, until they finally arrived at Minho's mansion. Before getting out of the car, Sulli grabbed Minho's wrist to prevent from exiting as she asked, "If this isn't too personal, why didn't you mention your wealth when..." Sulli trailed off as she wondered if she was asking a question too personal for him at the moment. 

"It's okay." Minho paused as he inhaled deeply. Thinking about the past still made Minho feel as if he was suffocating and helpless. Grabbing onto the steering wheel tightly, Sulli realized that his knuckles were turning white. 

"Oppa, you don't need to reply if it's too much." Sulli responded worringly.

Sounding as if he had run laps, Minho gasped for air as he replied, "No, it's fine. I need to learn to live in the present, not the void of the past." Looking deeply into Sulli's eyes, he added, "Someone once told me, avoiding the past won't help, only embracing it will."

Sulli smiled as she replied, "You still remembered what I said to you that day."

Breaking their gaze, Minho looked straight ahead as he began speaking. "Truth be told, when I was Onew's exchange student, I didn't know that my parent's owned so much wealth. At the time, we lived a humble life. It wasn't until..." Minho clenched his teeth as he felt his emotions from the past arise. "It wasn't until..." 

Sulli let go of Minho's wrist as she began patting Minho's back. Soothingly, she comforted Minho. "Take things slowly. Breath in and out."

Minho followed Sulli's instructions as he tried to speak again. Clearing his throat, he began again. "It wasn't until they p-p-passed t-t-that Jisoon told me I was, in essence, the heir to a multi millionare company called Choi Empire." Reaching for Sulli's hand for comfort, he intertwined their hands as he continued. "I was shocked at the time." The more he spoke, the easier it felt to speak of his past. He felt as if the chains holding him back were slowly breaking. "Not long after the news, I decided that I needed to fit the role of an incoming CEO. It was then that I changed everything about me, from appearance to personality." By the time Minho stopped speaking, his eyes had been filled with tears. Fearing that he would expose his weaker side, he looked away from Sulli as he tried to blink away his tears.

"You don't need to be afraid of showing your tea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter