Chapter 7

The Last Time We Met
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sulli woke up to her phone ringing as she groggily opened her eyes and allowed them to adjust to the weekend's morning light. Leaning to the right, Sulli lazily grabbed her phone while pushing her hair out of her facee, realizing that it was Onew calling her. "Oppa?" Sulli replied as she propped herself against her pillow.

"It's me." Onew confirmed. "Get up soon sleepyhead. Knowing you, you're still in bed." Onew joked. "Our parents are coming back today and we need to pick them up together at noon so be at my house around eleven."

Hearing Onew mention that their parents were coming to visit was enough to quicken Sulli's adrenaline. Jumping out of bed, Sulli replied, "Oppa, I don't know what to do say to umma and appa."

"Sul, I'm sure they'll understand." Onew answered in a brotherly tone.

"I hope so." Sulli continued with a sigh. Hanging up the phone, Sulli changed into a simple shirt and scarf with leggings and went downstairs to make breakfast. Looking around the silent house, Sulli felt the silence encircle her, allowing her to wonder, "Was I happier with Kai?" Sulli shook her head confirming to herself that Kai no longer should be part of her worries. Walking to the kitchen cabinets, she distracted herself by grabbing ingredients from the pantry to make pancakes, her all-time favorite.

After finishing breakfast, Sulli grabbed her purse and coat, entering her car to go to the mall and shop for something for her parents. Entering the mall, Sulli encountered loving couples walking close together, as friends clung tight with one another carefree of everything else. Sulli stood still for one moment, allowing the past to seep back into her mind. Remembering eating with Onew, Kai, and Minho in the exact mall before Minho's departure swept a wave of nostalgia over her. Snapping herself out of the cage of her past, Sulli forced her feet to continue walking, leading her to her umma's favorite clothing store. Walking through the aisles, Sulli noticed a teal colored scarf that her umma would like. After multiple stops at other stores, Sulli finally found a suitable jacket for her appa, as winter brought upon freezing temperatures. 

When Sulli finished paying for the jacket, she rummaged through her purse to find her phone and checked the time. It was 10:45. Sulli quickly walked out of the mall and to her car, driving to Onew's house.

-------------------

Hearing the doorbell, Onew opened the door and saw Sulli standing with shopping bags in her hands while shivering in the cold winter morning. Pointing towards the bags, Onew asked, "For umma and appa?" Sulli nodded as she brushed off her boots against the carpet.

Waiting for Onew to put on his shoes, Sulli asked, "Aren't umma and appa going to be mad that neither of us has a––"

Onew held up his hand to stop Sulli. "Sulli, how many times have I told you, it's fine. They'll understand. We can't force love, can we?" Placing his hands on Sulli's shoulders to massage them, he looked down at Sulli and said, "Come on, relax a bit. You've been so tense lately."

Sulli nodded and followed Onew to his car parked on the driveway. Looking at the shopping bags, Onew said, "Just place those in the back trunk, we'll get them out when we arrive at the airport." 

The rest of the car ride lasted in silence, for Sulli fell asleep. Onew sadly looked down at Sulli, sensing that her sister was no longer the bubbly Sulli he knew. Talking to the asleep Sulli, Onew said, "You've changed Sul. You've changed."

-------------------

After the thirty minute drive, Sulli and Onew arrived at the Incheon Airport. Onew lightly tapped Sulli to wake her up, signalling to her that they arrived. Sulli slowly adjusted her eyes to the lighting and combed her hair with her fingers to flatten it out. They got out of the car and walked inside the airport to the "Visitor" section to pick up their parents. Just as she was about to ask Onew when their parents would arrive, Sulli's phone rang. 

Picking up, Sulli covered her other ear to hear the conversation, for the airport was filled with rowdy crowds of people. "Taemin oppa?" Onew looked down at Sulli with questioning eyes. Sulli mouthed the word "friend" to Onew and he then nodded. Returning her attention back to her phone, she asked, "What do you want?"

"There's an emergency business meeting, someone leaked some of our company's private information. The company's in danger." Before Sulli could reply, Taemin continued. "Mr. Choi will be picking you up. Please tell me your address."

Sulli panicked at the thought of Minho picking her up. "Taemin, no! I can go on my own, I don't need him to pick me up!" Sulli replied in earnest as she was still astonished by the sudden appalling news.

"Please Sulli, just comply with me right now. I know what I'm doing. Just tell me where you are." Taemin firmly replied.

Sulli sensed that Taemin wouldn't change his decision and weakly replied, "Incheon Airport, terminal B." Hanging up the phone, Sulli looked up at Onew and sadly mentioned, "I have to go to an urgent meeting."

Onew creased his eyebrows as he asked, "What's so urgent that it's more important than this?"

"Oppa, someone leaked our company files, the business is in danger in both Korea and America." Sulli replied. "I can stay for around thirty minutes, so I might be able to see umma and appa."

"I'm so sorry Sulli." Onew answered as he embraced Sulli into a hug. "Things will get better."

Sulli released the hug, revealing tears that streaked down her face. "No, oppa, things won't get better. It seems that everything bad has happened to me for the past few months. I just..." Sulli didn't know how to end her outbreak of emotions and so she leaned her head onto Onew's shoulder for support. Onew pat Sulli on the head as he tried to console her.

Lifting Sulli's head off of his shoulder, he looked at Sulli in the eye and said, "Be strong Sulli. Hwaiting!" Onew pumped his fist, causing Sulli to laugh a little. "See, now you're smilling."

"Thanks oppa, you always manage to make me laugh."

"Anytime, don't forget, I'm your big brother," Onew teased as he nudged Sulli on the elbow.

After twenty five minutes of waiting, Onew and Sulli's parents arrived. Sulli grabbed her parents carry-on luggage, while Onew grabbed the heavier luggage. "Umma, appa, it's been a long time!" Onew said as he led his parents out of the airport. 

"Onew, it has. The last time we were here was when?" Sulli's umma, Choi Ji Young, said as she looked at her husband Choi Song Min.

"We were probably still dating at that time." Songmin replied as he lovingly looked at Jiyoung. 

"Yah, you guys!" Sulli joked as she watched her parents. 

"Lets get in the car first." Onew said as he opened the car door for his appa.

As Sulli was about to open the door for her umma, a car honked. Instinctively, Sulli turned around to see who it was. Watching the figure in the car remove his sunglasses and get out of the car, Sulli froze. "Oh no." Sulli muttered under her breath. Getting out of the car, the figure walked towards Sulli and saw her umma. Sulli saw the recognition flash on his face causing him to stumble on his feet. 

Sulli was shocked as she saw Minho bow before her mother as he said, "Annyeonghaseyo." 

Hearing Minho's voice, Onew slowly turned around. Minho looked to his right, allowing his eyes to lock with Onew's for a moment. Songmin stood besides Onew with confusion looking first at Minho's face, then at Onew's.

Jiyoung became perplexed as well as she asked, "Onew, who is this person? Do we know him?"

Onew nodded, as Sulli tried to duck away. Looking directly at Minho, Onew sternly replied, "Umma, we most definitely know him," remembering that he was disrespectful towards Sulli. Minho winced at Onew's tone, but Minho knew that he could never let down his exterior wall.

Jiyoung tilted her head as she looked at the man before her, still not recognizing who it was. 

Looking at her umma, Sulli said, "I'm sorry umma, I need to go to––"

Interrupting her daughter, Jiyoung said, "You must be Sulli's boyfriend then. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Sulli's eyes widened as she felt her face fluster. "Umma, it's not l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter