Living the sweet life, but it still tastes bitter

Where He Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yixing's eyebrows furrow in confusion as he stares at the man whose back was now facing him. Did he just say that Baekhyun's disappearance was his fault? He blinks several times as the information settles in his mind, shaking his head quickly. "Junmyeon, no- listen, why are you saying things like that? What are you talking about, huh? Baekhyun wasn't your fault." 

"Yes, it was. It is. It still is my fault." He's at a loss for words as he stares at the back of his leader. "Junmyeon, don't tell me that you think that- this doesn't make any sense. Why would you think something like this? Everyone was asleep when it happened."

"I wasn't asleep." Yixing pulls a face at this, not understanding what it had to do with anything. Junmyeon gives him an expectant look before Yixing opens his mouth to speak. "You were shooting a commercial." He says slowly, his eyes widening in realization afterwards. "Junmyeon, that's not fair. What happened wasn't your- how would you have known? Baekhyun said it was okay-"

"I don't want to talk about it anymore, Yixing." He curtly interrupts, putting his attention back onto the window. Yixing keeps his lips pressed together from Junmyeon suddenly snapping, nodding his head briefly and turning back into his own seat. He closes his eyes as he leans his head back against his seat, sighing softly as he feels Luhan's head making its way back onto his shoulder. They would land soon enough.

 

Junmyeon wasn't exactly pleased that he was sitting in the living room of a woman he did not know the name of, let alone in a country where he barely spoke the language. He hasn't even seen the woman yet, only hearing her voice when Yixing knocked on the door to let them in. He plays with his fingers anxiously, staring down at the tiled floor beneath his feet. They were in a stilted wooden house along the Tuojiang River in Fenghuang, and while he did find the area breathtakingly beautiful he still wasn't sure what to make of this entire situation. "Ease up," Yixing whispers to the tense male beside him, "she's nice. You act like you're being held hostage." The three men were crammed together on a small couch that was really meant for two, but Junmyeon seemed to be the only one bothered by it. "She's just making us some tea. Take some deep breaths. Go look out the window or something; enjoy the scenery." Junmyeon didn't feel like getting up, but the look Yixing was giving him convinced him otherwise. He mumbles something incoherent under his breath before pushing himself up and strolling over to the medium sized windows on the wall. He can hear Luhan mumble finally from the couch as he leans back against the rough fabric, stretching his legs out as Yixing makes more room between the two. 

"Breathe." Junmyeon whispers to himself as he forces himself to look out the window. Yixing was right, it was beautiful, though it did little to soothe his anxiety. There was a low fog that hung over the town, giving it a comforting and homely vibe. There were wooden boats that slowly made their way down the river, seating up to ten people as the guides spoke about the surrounding houses and the history of the town's culture. It was a calm day today, as described by both Luhan and Yixing earlier as there weren't many tourists in the area. He could also see fishermen in their boats as well, keeping an eye on the calm water surrounding them for any fish they may spot. All the stilted houses along the river had lights lying along the the edges of the tiled roofs, giving everything a beautiful yellow hue once the sun sets. The town was also surrounded by mountains and forests and Junmyeon's never had such an urge to go hiking before. He finds himself staring at the red lanterns dangling from the houses before hearing the door slide open from behind, jumping slightly in his spot before tearing his gaze off the window and turning around. 

"Yeon," Yixing says as he stands up, bowing slightly as the short woman walks over to him, a tray of tea in her hands, "thank you for seeing me on such short notice." 

"It's no problem. Anything for a friend." Her voice is light and airy, making Junmyeon feel a little more at ease. She didn't look like what he was expecting either. He wasn't sure why he was expecting her to appear in a mysterious manner with a dark trench coat or something, which if anything just seemed cliche of him, but he couldn't help that. The way Yixing had described her earlier made her sound mysterious, and it didn't help that Fenghuang also felt a little mysterious to him. She places the tray down on the coffee table, a warm smile on her lips as she tucks a lock of black hair behind her right ear. It's quiet for a moment, an awkward silence falling upon the room before Yixing grows flustered. "Oh, right. These are my two friends, Luhan and Junmyeon." Junmyeon awkwardly smiles from his spot, keeping a safe distance from her. She didn't seem threatening- she was tiny and short, a skin tone similar to Jongin with black hair cut just above her shoulders, and a delicate smile that made her seem approachable, but at the same time Junmyeon didn't know her and he knew that she could do some shady stuff. It was enough to keep him cautious. 

"It's nice to meet you." She slips her hands into the back pockets of her jeans when the three men timidly look around, with Junmyeon staring at his shoes and Luhan playing with his hands. "I'd be correct to assume that you guys didn't just come here for a vacation, right? Yixing, what's the reason you're here?" Yixing grabs his bag from the couch, ping it and placing the cameras onto the coffee table. She stares down at them with a raised eyebrow, glancing at Yixing afterwards. "Why did you bring me cameras?" 

"We found them in our dorms. Two in the living room, one in the bathroom, and three in a shared room. I wanted to know if you would be able to retrieve any footage from it."

"Were they working when you found them?"

"They weren't activated anymore." Yixing responds. "But we still wanted to know if you'd be able to pull anything from it. Maybe it could help us find out what happened to Baekhyun or at least who put them there." Yeon hesitates for a bit, leaning over to pick up one of the small cameras. She inspects the camera in the palm of her hand closely, a soft hum leaving her. "It's doable." She finally says. "I don't know if you'd be able to find out the person who planted them though. They could have hired someone to do it for them and then activated them remotely." 

Luhan and Junmyeon exchan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter