White noise

Where He Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin stares at Chanyeol's bedroom door from his spot on his bed with a worried expression on his face. He's been quiet since he lashed out at Sehun only hours before. Jongin's not sure if he's the only one, but he's been noticing a steady change occurring within the taller male. It makes sense to Jongin that Chanyeol would be battling inner demons during everything that's been going on, but what happened earlier was definitely a first. Never in all his years knowing him had he ever heard him seriously threaten to kill one of their members. It was alarming and Jongin had to watch Jongdae hold Sehun for the next two hours before he finally stopped sobbing. Chanyeol hasn't left his room since he stormed in there after yelling at Sehun.

He runs a hand over his face as he sighs and flops back onto his bed. Jongdae has been with Sehun nearly all afternoon in his and Junmyeon's shared bedroom. Chanyeol has been locked away across from his bedroom, practically locking Minseok out of the room. Minseok hasn't said much, so Jongin figured he wasn't really that annoyed. Instead, Minseok has spent the last few hours in the living room with Kyungsoo. Jongin just wishes that everything would go away; that everything could just simply fix itself on its own. Of course life is never that easy, but he can't help but wish. His eyes naturally make their way back to Chanyeol and Minseok's door when Jongin pushes himself to sit back up. It's been quiet in Chanyeol's room since he first went in there, and any attempts the members made to ask if he was okay were ignored. 

Since Baekhyun disappeared, it's safe to say that everyone had been impacted negatively from it. Everyone was changing either for the better or the worse, though Chanyeol seemed to be participating more in the last one. While he's remained optimistic over Baekhyun (Jongin will give him credit for that as that's no easy feat) he's become more withdrawn and seems to be less and less energetic with the other members as well as with fans. He's become quick to anger and Jongin's noticed that the spark that was once in his eyes was now nearly gone, and he's been eating less to add. He's voiced his concerns to both Junmyeon and Minseok, but they've both warned him that people cope differently and that Chanyeol needs his space and time to grieve in his own way. Jongin didn't want to ask Chanyeol about it himself, so he decided to keep his mouth shut. However, what he said to Sehun was completely unacceptable, still grieving or not. "Everyone's allowed to grieve", as Chanyeol has stated in the past several times. Why is it different when Sehun grieves? 

He sniffles quietly as he plays with the strings absentmindedly from the blanket that cover his lap. He wishes Yixing and Junmyeon would come back soon. The two of them always had such a calm and inviting aura surrounding them that it always got rid of his stresses and tensions. He'd call, but he doesn't want to stress them out any more than necessary. He has no idea what they're doing in China right now and he doesn't want to add to their list of problems. Chanyeol doesn't have to go back to his old self. It's perfectly acceptable to Jongin that he changes during this, but he does wish that his friend will come back and stop shielding himself away from the rest of the world. 

 

"I'm glad you guys came- did you guys get into a bar fight or something?" Yeon snorts when seeing Junmyeon sporting a busted lip and some bruising by his left eye and eyebrow, whereas Luhan had a lovely black eye that he was showing off. She clicks her tongue from the lack of response and instead moves aside to let the three men in. 

"What's on the cameras?" Luhan asks curtly, in no mood to fool around or beat around the bush. 

"Right." She says slowly, "Follow me." The three men exchange glances with one another before being led through the living room, past the kitchen, and into her bedroom. "I've been looking through each camera all night. I've gotten no sleep, so just stop me if I stop making sense at any point." She pulls out the chair from her desk, sitting herself down before logging into her desktop computer. "You might want to sit down. There's...a lot." She's struggling to properly phrase things together and that alone is enough to make Yixing grow uneasy. "I found years worth of footage on the six cameras you handed me. Most of the footage, I'd say over half, is of Baekhyun. Some of it is of Sehun, other times it's all the members or whoever happens to be in the room, sometimes it's you, Yixing." She speaks softly, as if her words might hurt any of the men. "We can watch all of the footage, though I'd recommend just showing you the clips that featured the most...uh, questionable footage. It would save you a lot of time. There's just a lot of footage when nothing is happening or no one is in the room. That's all." 

"Sounds good to me." Yixing says as Luhan sits on a chair, Yixing and Junmyeon sitting on Yeon's bed. 

"So the footage started around the beginning of 2014 and ended early last year." The three men feel chills run up and down their spines at that. That means they were recorded even after Baekhyun left. How was that possible and why? "The one I'm about to show you is from June 2014; this is when the cameras were originally placed and activated. I'm assuming you guys were away for either tour or promotions." She hums before clicking on the video to play. The footage is from the camera that was placed in the living room television. The clip immediately starts with a person dressed in a black hoodie stepping away from the television, clearly admiring their work. The intruder is wearing a white mask that has smudged red lipstick on the mouth, overly drawn pink blush on the cheeks, two straight lines drawn above the eyes to mimic eyebrows, and the word "G O D" written in sharpie across the forehead of the mask. 

"Well that's unsettling." Luhan deadpans while he keeps his eyes on Yeon's computer screen. "Indeed it is." She agrees quietly. "Keep watching." She instructs gently. They four watch as the masked intruder presses something on a small black device in their hands, the footage then switching to the camera wired into the ceiling fan before switching back to the television. They hear a muffled voice from the person, but it's hard to place who it belongs to. The masked person then calmly walks out of the living room and into the hall, disappearing from their sight. That is until the footage switches to the camera that was placed in Baekhyun and Jongin's previously shared room. Junmyeon inhales sharply as he examines the footage, his heart aching at seeing Baekhyun's things in the dorm. He can see his clothes tossed onto his bed and his shoes placed neatly by the closet, even his pack of gum on the nightstand beside his bed. Yixing senses Junmyeon tensing up and places a comforting hand on his thigh, flashing him a warm and gentle smile. Luhan chews on his bottom lip while watching the pair, his heart sinking before removing his gaze from them and placing it back onto the computer screen.

The person in the footage is rummaging around in their room, cautiously disregarding anything that belongs to Jongin and only looking for things that belonged to Baekhyun. They watch as they take his lucky shirt from the closet, his pack of gum, and even a sock. Luhan raises an eyebrow at this before watching the person casually stroll over to Baekhyun and Jongin's trash can, Luhan rubbing at his forehead soothingly as he watches them search through the trash cans, pulling out items that could have belonged to either Jongin or Baekhyun as there was no way of actually telling what belonged to who. "What the ?" Junmyeon sighs while watching them place the items in their black bag. They even watch as they dump Baekhyun's blue toothbrush into the bag.

"They must have gotten it from the bathrooms while the footage was switching from the cameras." Yeon explains to the men who look at her confused. "It's clear that they really only had an obsession with Baekhyun, but..." Her face is one of someone who's stressed and she clears before carefully continuing. "I have reason to believe that they originally planned on kidnapping someone else as well. I have no doubt that Baekhyun was the original person they wanted, but it just seems to me that they planned on taking a second person." 

"Why do you think that?" Junmyeon asks her before the other two men can even comprehend what she was saying. "Are you saying that another member is in danger?" 

"It would make sense." Yixing shares his perspective. "Since Yeon said that the footage only stopped early last year. That's a little over a year after Baekhyun went missing. If they didn't plan on kidnapping someone else, wouldn't they have just deactivated the cameras after getting him from the start? There must have been a reason they were still filming. It doesn't seem like this person would have just forgotten about the cameras." He explains carefully while Yeon nods her head along to what he was saying. 

"They also seemed...cautious with their filming." 

"Could you elaborate on that please?" Luhan asks softly. 

"Sure." She says with a small smile. "I noticed throughout the footage that the cameras always focused on one other member in particular besides Baekhyun. Obviously footage focused on Yixing and Sehun as well at times, but it's just...I'm not really sure how to explain it. My gut is telling me that there's a second person they want." 

"I believe you." Yixing knows better than anyone what Yeon is like. She's a logical person who has her head on her shoulders straight. When her gut tells her something it usually ends up right. She's not the type of person who frets over nothing. "There's something else you guys need to be aware of." Her voice is more serious than it was a few minutes ago as she turns back to the computer. "The intruder was at your dorms for a little over an hour. I'd say almost two." She's forwarding through the footage, most of which is just the intruder walking around the dorms, eating from the fridge, stealing Baekhyun's stuff, etc. "Right here." She suddenly pauses the footage, zooming in on the intruder's hand. "Do you see that?" Yixing and Junmyeon get up and move behind Yeon, Luhan bringing his chair up next to her so he can see better. The three men lean in, eyebrows furrowing as they try to get a better look. "What-" Luhan starts though Yixing suddenly jerks away to stare at Yeon. 

"What? What is it?" Junmyeon asks before looking at Luhan, wordlessly trying to see if he knew what was going on too. Like Junmyeon, Luhan simply shrugs his shoulders to declare that he was just as lost as he was. 

"There were seven cameras, not six like we originally thought. He's holding a camera in his hand." Yixing explains when Luhan and Junmyeon still have confused expressions on their face. "Which means there's still a camera somewhere in the dorms." Luhan buries his face in his hands upon hearing this, a long and deep sigh leaving him while Junmyeon just stares at Yeon and Yixing with a freaked out expression. He lets out a shaky breath as he nods his head slowly. "Alright. We just need to get back to the dorms and look for the camera." He says as he abruptly takes a few steps back. 

"Not yet, Junmyeon." Yeon says. "There's more footage that you need to see." She motions for him and Yixing to sit back down. "This is only the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter