The Night Out

The Art of Getting By
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Monday came along, Ji Hyun enters the publishing house with a little skip to her steps and a bright smile on her face, which went unnoticed from Yumi. Considering how she's always bright and cheerful, it was as if today, she swallowed the sun whole and walked around like there was no care in the world. When lunch time rolled in, Yumi wasted no time to sit down and talk to her.

"Did you go on a date last night?" She asked her before Ji Hyun could take a bite out of her own packed lunch.

"No," Ji Hyun scoffed. "Why would you think of that? And can't I look happy without the idea of having a man as a reason for my happiness?"

"So there is a reason why you're happy." Yumi smirked. "What happened?"

And from there, Ji Hyun made her swear not to tell anyone before she narrated what happened during the course of her weekend, more importantly, what she received during her weekend. When she was done with her story, Yumi's mouth was agape in shock and happiness for her colleague. 

"I'm so happy for you!" She whispered towards her before hugging her tightly. "I can't believe you actually got accepted!"

"Accepted in what?" Hae Joon popped in the conversation, sitting across from them, in which the two women looked at each other before urging him to come closer so they could whisper the good news. 

"No way!" He whispered to Ji Hyun. "Congratulations! We have to celebrate this occasion somehow!"

"A good old noraebang, or a good drink off at a pocha? Your choice." Yumi asked, raising her eyebrows at her. 

Ji Hyun presses her lips before making her decision. "I think a good old drink by the pocha is better. You guys might get blown away by my amazing singing skills that you wouldn't want to sing after me."

"Oh please," Yumi scoffed. "You two would probably get so intimidated by me if I sang. I think I could give Ailee a good run for her money."

This makes Ji Hyun and Hae Joon laugh back. "No thanks, we're good considering our last trip to the noraebang when you cried before singing Lonely. You couldn't even get past CL's part without sobbing."

"Ya! That song meant a lot to me!" Yumi protested. 

"Alright, alright. Let's have a nice night by a local pocha and that's that." Ji Hyun spoke towards the two, but before she could say anything else, the lunch rush was over and they were back on their feet, rushing towards their cubicles to finish the rest of their work for the day. 

Minutes spanned into hours, and before they knew it, they were already off to the nearest pocha, sitting down and already ordering two bottles of soju before raising a toast. 

"To our dear colleague Nam Ji Hyun, who is going to study in one of the most well-known universities in America!" Hae Joon spoke as he raised his glass, which led to the two women linking their glasses with him and taking a swig. The group were already ordering themselves some jjigae and some chicken, as well as a few servings of tteokbokki, happily enjoying their night as they told their stories. In the middle of the fun, Ji Hyun texts Chang Wook her usual message that she would be home a little late, since she was going for a night out to drink, as well as to invite him to come along the night out if he wanted to, but before she could press send, she hears Yumi's voice beckoning someone to come to the table, and to her surprise, it was the man himself.

"I thought it would be nice to invite him to this occasion. Is that alright?" She asked her, in which Ji Hyun chuckled in response. 

"Of course, I was just about to text him anyways." She responded. "I'm guessing work went well that you're out early."

"We finished some light scenes today." He shrugged. "Anyways, you should all know how to regulate your alcohol. I don't want to drag three different bodies home before calling it a night."

"We're adults, oppa." Ji Hyun rolled her eyes. "I think we can contain our alcohol pretty well."

But alas, after four bottles of soju and three pints of beer later, Hae Joon was already laughing hysterically over something that no one knows why, while Yumi and Ji Hyun were drinking casually, but a bit tipsy as well since Yumi was starting to giggle over Hae Joon's contagious laugh and Ji Hyun was staring somewhere else while giggling as well, the redness on her face intensifying at every minute. Chang Wook, with a bottle of beer in his hand, still half-sober, was looking at his younger companions' shenanigans, and somehow, he's thankful enough that Yumi would even think of inviting him, considering how much of a mess it could be if they tried to take Ji Hyun home. Speaking of which, when Ji Hyun excused herself to find the nearest bathroom in the area, Yumi and Hae Joon looked back at Chang Wook in wonder, in which he was looking back at them with a questioning look.

"How is your skin that flawless?" Hae Joon asked as he leaned his chin over his palm. "And how are you so good-looking?"

"How much did you drink so far?" Yumi turned back towards him.

"Hey, I may be drunk, but I know a good-looking man when I see one." He replied towards her. 

"I usually drink a lot of water and wash my face before putting some moisturizer on my face, but that's it I guess." Chang Wook shrugged in response. 

"Hmm..." Hae Joon trailed off before striking his next question. "Do you like Ji Hyun like..as in more than a friend?" 

"Oppa!" Yumi slapped his arm. "Chang Wook-oppa, I'm sorry if he's like this, I swear I—" 

"Am I really that obvious?" Chang Wook asked the two dongsaengs before they nodded in response, in which he scratched the back of his head in defeat. 

"I mean, it was a tiny bit obvious

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter