The Party

The Art of Getting By
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's been a week and four days since they last interacted with one another, and things have been really quiet and uneventful between them.

Chang Wook busied himself by finishing the last remaining scenes of his pre-produced drama, which of course, ended happily in their part. He spent days and nights in the set, sleeping while he can and trying his best to lead the entire cast to the best result that they could ever get. He still continued with packing his things and sleeping in the studios, since it took almost two days straight to finish some parts of the drama, particularly the night scenes. It has actually been two days since he came home, and two days since he last saw Ji Hyun. She now leaves her apartment earlier than usual, and even if he wanted to offer her a ride to work, she wouldn't even dare to look at his way. So, they spent the entire period coexisting with one another, even not going on with their usual movie night, which they didn't mind at all considering how busy they were with work and considering how they want to keep their pride up for God knows how long. 

Ji Hyun busied herself with work as well, considering how she had a lot to handle in terms of the new books that they were going to launch this week. They had to go through the final run throughs of the books before formally publishing the copies of the book, and thankfully, the week was a success. The published books did well in the market, and the authors were pleased as well with the feedback coming from the people and the critics. But that didn't stop there when it came to her work, considering how she was still editing more books that would be published in the next few weeks, as well as editing a few parts of the scene that she was writing for her script. As much as she wanted to go home and rest and try not to talk to anyone, she couldn't refuse the company dinner that the publishing house wanted, considering it was a mandatory event and it was for the success of their recently released books. When it was finally seven in the evening, the company went out to a nearby samgyeopsal restaurant, since the samgyeopsal restaurant that they were supposed to go to was actually reserved for a different event. 

"Event for what?" She asked as they walked into the restaurant.

"There was a drama wrap-up party there, from what I heard." Yumi replied. "Oh, I heard Chang Wook-oppa's pre-produced drama was done shooting. I'm guessing they're the ones having the wrap-up party today."

She pressed her lips in response before settling onto her seat. She knew that as well, considering how he looked at the news portal a few moments ago and saw the cast of his drama posing for a photo-op by a restaurant, with a lot of fans as well. Nonetheless, she sighed to herself as everyone was chatting along in the table. 

"Ji Hyun-ah," Yumi called. "Are you okay? I—Oh, wait, I'm sorry, I forgot."

She gave a small smile towards her. "No, it's okay. It's not that much of an issue anyways."

"You still haven't made up with him?" She whispered towards her, and Ji Hyun shook her head in response, not willing to press into the topic further. It was a bit hard on her part as well that she wouldn't want to talk to him, but she still felt frustrated over it, and they somehow had this unspoken rule that they shouldn't really talk to each other until the frustration dies down, which was not happening anytime soon.

"Ya, let's loosen up a bit and drink. Here," Yumi offered her a piece of pork belly. "I cooked this one, and take a shot of soju."

She sighed before taking a swig of soju, and her body burning from the alcohol. She puts on a brave face and smiled at Yumi to reassure her that she'll be fine, and Yumi smiles back, offering her more pork and soju as the table became more lively. The night went on with a few drinks and as well as some drunken stories, but Ji Hyun just wanted to lay down on her warm bed and not think about today and tomorrow. But nonetheless, she was still engaging in the conversation, even laughing at some of the jokes and the stories everyone shared, as well as sharing her own. The way she engages everyone in the conversation is amusing, considering how much of a bad mood she was in this week. 

She raised a toast at the table. "To our current successes this week! And the many more we'll achieve!"

The table was in a frenzy, shouting and clinking their glasses with one another. She wasn't aware of it, but somehow, she felt herself getting loose and relaxed, and happy after a while. As she took another swig of soju, she feels light-headed, but she didn't care. At least at this moment, she was happy, and that's what mattered the most. She was about to text him that she might be home late, but her fingers hovered over the few remaining characters, remembering that they were still giving each other the cold shoulder, before backspacing the message completely and going back to the conversation.

When the night was finally over, everyone said their goodbyes and parted ways, but as Ji Hyun was going to the bus stop, Hae Joon struts to her side.

"Do you need a ride home?" He suggested. 

"I don't want to be a burden. I'll just take the bus." She replied back with a small smile. 

"At least let me walk you to the bus stop." He insisted, and she chuckled as they made their way towards the nearest stop. 

"So, have you guys made up?" He asked her. 

"How—"

"We kind of...overheard the exchange." He responded as he scratched the nape of his neck. 

"Oh," she spoke. "I'm sorry about that."

"Ya, it's alright." He shrugged. "But, I hope you guys fix things soon."

She sighed in response. "I don't know when soon will be, but I hope it will happen."

"You know..." He started. "I can see how much he cares about you, even if we only met once."

"I'm well-aware about that." She sighed. "He's always considerate with the people around him. I'm not different from any of them."

"So, you've never felt anything whenever h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter