The Wedding

The Art of Getting By
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once upon a time, PD Ji Chang Wook worked with PD Kang Seo Man in a drama, which involved the participation of a woman named Ryu Jeun Ji, who was the sound effects and musical director for the drama they worked on. It seemed as if when PD Ji and Jeun Ji met to discuss the music for the scenes of the dramas, they found each other's company amusing and comforting as well. Thus, this started the casual dates and the slow-burning admiration they had for one another, until it finally reached to the point that they were in a relationship, and the rest was history. Five years ago, they wouldn't even think that a situation like this would happen in their lifetime, but here they are, facing an awkward and unusual situation, as well as adding another familiar woman in the mix. 

"Jagiya, there you are." 

The sound of heels click onto the tiles, and they move their heads to see the woman they weren't expecting to see. It didn't really show that Nam Ji Hyun was feeling uncomfortable with the situation, especially with the confidence she wore alongside her navy jumpsuit and trench coat, but with the way Chang Wook noticed the little mannerisms of her tapping her fingers fast onto the clutch she held on her hand, he knew better that he should at least ride with her little show if they wanted to be convincing. As Ji Hyun moves closer to the group, her suspicions were proven to be right as she saw the familiar person up close. 

"Do Hwan?" She asked, feigning shock.

"Ji Hyun?" He greeted. "Oh, I didn't expect you to be here."

"Likewise." She replied, feeling awkward with the situation suddenly. She doesn't expect that Chang Wook would suddenly wound his arm around her waist protectively, but she knew that she had to pull off a show that she started in the first place.

"Wait a minute," Jeun Ji looked between her fiancé and the woman in front of them. "How did you two know each other?" 

Do Hwan and Ji Hyun look back at each other, thinking about how to break this gently to their significant others without making things awkward, but alas, nobody said everything was easy. 

"We...uhm..." Do Hwan stuttered. "You see—"

"I was his fiancé." Ji Hyun deadpanned, and Jeun Ji and Chang Wook's eyes widened at their respective partners, while Do Hwan and Ji Hyun tried not to meet anyone's gaze at that point, the awkwardness intensifying at the moment. 

Once upon a time, Ma Do Hwan and Nam Ji Hyun met in Incheon Science High School, with Do Hwan being two years older than her, as well as him being an upperclassman. The two were very familiar with each other, even attempted to be friends with one another, but they decided not to act on their feelings, knowing that he was going to graduate soon and move away for college. Luckily, when Ji Hyun was admitted to Sogang University, he was studying there coincidentally for mass communication. In short, they became a campus couple, and both graduated with high honors as well. Do Hwan decided on becoming an actor, auditioning for different films and dramas, only to land in PD Kang Seo Man's first movie that he directed himself, which in turn, Seo Man got to know Ji Hyun more. And then, the rest was history.

"Well, uhm...this is neat." Jeun Ji cleared . "Two pairs with interesting backstories meeting at a wedding. Isn't that cool?"

The rest of the group blinked away, feeling awkward about how things ended up in this moment. Chang Wook's grip on Ji Hyun's waist didn't falter one bit. In fact, this made her wound his arm around his waist as well, trying to comfort him in the situation and face it together as a united front. 

"It is." Ji Hyun replied to Jeun Ji, before turning back to Chang Wook as she patted his side. "Jagiya, I'm sorry for being late. I had to clear up a few things up my work before I had to go here. I hope you're not angry at me."

Chang Wook gives her a small smile. "Why should I be mad? I'm glad you actually caught up." 

And he meant that statement, since he was almost on the verge of actually running away from the event himself if she didn't appeared suddenly. He pulls her a bit closer to him, before pressing a small kiss on her head, before turning back at the couple who were watching them closely.

"Anyways," Ji Hyun started, pressing a palm over Chang Wook's chest, trying to ignore the fact that she could literally feel his heart bursting through his ribcage. "It was nice to meet some familiar faces today, but I think we need to settle our seats now since the ceremony is about to start."

"Really?" Jeun Ji asked, before turning to her fiancé. "Then we really need to find our seats then."

Do Hwan nodded at her, before turning to the the pair in front of them. "It was...uhm...nice to see you all today."

Chang Wook nodded, but Ji Hyun's lips were pressed, a stoic expression on her face as she tried to bite her tongue from keeping a few words out of . As the couple walked into the venue, leaving the two friends out in the lobby, they let go of each other before they faced each other directly. 

"You have a lot of explaining to do." Chang Wook spoke towards her. 

"Likewise." Ji Hyun replied in a clipped tone, before moving towards the ballroom, with him following closely behind her. 

The ballroom had it's usual wedding elements: the dimly lit room was adorned white chiffon draping by the ceiling, the smell of flowers and perfume in the air, as well as the perfectly arranged flowers by the side of the aisle, complete with a red carpet that leads to the altar, wherein the bride and groom would be together as one. These are the things that made Ji Hyun and Chang Wook sick to the stomach, but they had no choice since they wanted to see their mutual friend happy as they witness his special affair.

Ji Hyun hated weddings to the core for a lot of reasons: it wasn't that practical, considering the fact that when she was engaged, her family spent so much money for such a short affair, and it hurt even more when the engagement was cancelled, both emotionally and financially. Another one was that she hated too much display of affection, knowing how sometimes those types of love and affection end up in flames and tears alike, something that she knew way before she tied the knot. She doesn't want to admit it, but weddings made her angry. It reminded her about failures and disappointment, the two things she hated the most. So, when she took a seat beside Chang Wook, she kept her gaze on her lap, thinking about how is she going to explain everything to him completely. On the other hand, he was thinking on where to begin with her, since everything was coming at him like a bullet train as of the moment. 

The wedding music starts, and the pair winced internally to themselves, two different memories playing in their mind as Canon in D started playing as the bride and groom walked towards the aisle with wide smiles on their faces, their hands intertwined with each other. Chang Wook remembers the exact moment that this song played at his own wedding, the way the light hit Jeun Ji's face as they slowly approached the altar, the way his heart was beating fast, as if it was going to come out of his throat at any moment. Ji Hyun envisioned the exact moment this song played, when Do Hwan asked her for a slow dance by a gazebo, not knowing that it would be the moment wherein he would pop the question. As the song ends, the momentary flashbacks end, but the aches in both of their hearts were starting to intensify, something they both wanted to avoid in the first place. 

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to celebrate and witness Kang Seo Man and Cheon Se Hee united in marriage. Their decision to marry was not taken lightly, but now, these two people will be united as one in this sacred ceremony..." 

As the priest continues on with his wedding rites, Ji Hyun closes her eyes, trying not to look at the event with all her might, not before Chang Wook elbowed her side, causing her to look at him.

"What happened at work?" He whispered towards her.

"Boss decided to end the day early since there was going to be an event later, but I decided to skip on it by faking nausea and diarrhea." She whispered back. "I got two days off just because I looked convincing."

"Speaking of which," he replied. "Did you really had to make it look like we're dating?"

"I had to do it because I know how Do Hwan is." She replied. "This man would try and humiliate you out of spite if I didn't step in immediately. He's the type who likes to revel on someone's misery."

"Really?" He asked. "Is her that much of an ?"

"Sadly." She sighed, before turning her head towards him as a thought hits her. "Wait, was the woman beside him..."

He nodded in response, confirming her suspicions. "Wow, I was so used to hearing her name from your stories, and now that I actually saw her..."

"Yeah." He turned back his gaze towa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter