The New Year's Eve

The Art of Getting By
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The last few days before the year ended were filled with utter bliss and a little chaos at the same time. The two seemed to find a routine that they couldn't really master well yet, with them waking in either his bed or her bed, dining in his house or her house, and basically moving to and from each other's space, even when they had work going on at that day. Nonetheless, they still acted like they were the best of friends.

Well, with the exception that they're basically in love with each other and they can hug and kiss a lot. 

New Year's eve was filled with offers of parties from left and right, and of course, the two were needed in the affairs either separately or together. Ji Hyun’s year-ender party in the company was something that she looked forward to, since this was one of the only events that made her dress up a bit nice, as well as she would receive some late gifts from her friends in the office. In Chang Wook’s case, a previous drama that he worked on had a little new year gathering with the cast, and he was more than happy to meet up with them. 

“I’ll try to catch up with you later once the meet-up is done.” He spoke as he went through the door that separated their houses, donned in a thick sweater and some pants while carrying his boots and a navy blue trench coat, only to find Ji Hyun struggling to put on a necklace. He moves towards her and clips the clasp so the necklace was in place. “You’ll be at the publishing house party later, right?"

“Yeah, but Yumi and Hae Joon might celebrate afterwards in a different place, so I might go there. Are you sure you want to come with us?” 

“Well, I had to fulfill my promise to your parents, as well as my lifelong dream to spend time with you for the New Year.” He said, eyeing her silver dress that hugged her curves at the right places and ended just over her knees, the cap sleeves making her look clean-cut and sophisticated.

“I can’t believe you actually had to do that.” She muttered to herself before he planted a lingering kiss on her lips, a smile forming on each other’s lips. 

“I’ll see you later, and watch your alcohol.” He spoke after a while, a bit out of breath. “Stay safe, alright?”

“I’d like to say the same thing to you as well.” She replied. “And wear your coat and scarf, alright? Let’s not welcome the new year with you being sick.” 

“I’ll try my best.” He said before he checked his house for one last time, before locking the latch on her side of the door and followed her suit. 

When they arrived at the pub where her workers and colleagues were, the people on the streets were already loud and happy celebrating the affairs, with stalls and stores blasting music and some hits that were released this year. She immediately grabbed her things and bid farewell to him, squeezing his hand before getting out of his car and moving to the pub. He watched her as she went through the doors before he sped off to his party. Ji Hyun was immediately welcomed by Yumi, a glass of scotch in hand as she went over to her. 

"Ji Hyunie!" She exclaimed. "We thought you're going to ditch us for your man. You came here just in time!"

"How many did you drink?" Ji Hyun replied, eyeing her up and down. "And what did you drink aside from that?"

"You don't need to know." Yumi smiled, dismissively waving the question. "Now come on, Ji Soo is giving away some free things!"

"I have never seen you this enthusiastic over Ji Soo and free things." Ji Hyun chuckled as she followed her to where the year-end party was going on. 

The year-end company party in their publishing house was not as tamed as people seemed. In fact, it was quite funny to have all of your workers be very fond of parties that it can get wild pretty fast, even when they're mostly in their mid-20s. The party was in full swing when they walked in the private room, complete with the alcohol and the seemingly challenging party games, and the semi-tipsy co-workers laughing over a colleague that fell on the floor, while singing their heart out to a sad song in the karaoke.

"Aish, is this part of the giveaway stint Ji Soo is going for?" Ji Hyun asked. 

"Sadly, because she's actually giving the new Samsung phone unit, like the new edition of it." Yumi said, pointing towards Geum Ji Soo laughing over how her colleagues are singing over the song dramatically. Ji Hyun shakes her head from the affairs before a tap on the shoulder interrupts their conversation. 

"I knew that I'd recognize that back anywhere." Hae Joon spoke as she turned towards him. "We thought you wouldn't make it tonight, since we thought you have plans with your man. Speaking of which, did you invite him with us?"

"Yeah, he'll follow suit, don't worry." She replied as she acknowledge Tae Min's presence behind him. 

"Ah, it's the woman who ran around Insadong." Tae Min said, pointing towards her. 

"I have a name, Hae Joon's boyfriend." She spoke, raising an eyebrow at him. 

"I know, Ji Hyun." He replied, a smile on his face. "Have you found him? How did it go?"

"Oh, I found him, and... it went well."

"How well?"

"They're already dating." Hae Joon spoke, leaning towards his boyfriend's ear. 

"Congratulations, then!" Tae Min spoke, patting her shoulder with a smile.

"Thank you." She chuckled. "But let's get into more serious matter, we have to get through this party without the embarrassment Ji Soo might give us.”

“We’re on it.” Yumi spoke, offering Ji Hyun a bottle of beer. “Drink up, it’s going to be a long night.”

“I don’t think this plan you have is going to work.” Ji Hyun replied, giving Yumi a weird look as she took the bottle of beer from her hand. “But it’s the new year, so screw it.”

As Ji Hyun was in the middle of a happy affair with her colleagues, Chang Wook was happily drinking away as well with the cast and crew of a drama he did months ago. Instead of going to the year-end drama awards, given that the leads were too busy to even attend the awards, the crew met up for a new year’s dinner instead to celebrate their efforts and to catch up with each other as well. The success of the drama and the popularity of it was enough for a celebration, regardless if there was an award or not, and they seem to reflect on that as they chatted away in one of the private rooms in the restaurant they went to, the loud laughter and shouts resonating through the room. 

“Ya! They should give Bong Yoo-ssi the award for being the clumsiest person on set!” A colleague points at the aforementioned man who was pointing and laughing at the guy who called him out. 

“And you need an award for having the loudest snore on set!” He replied, and the crowd bursts into a fit of laughters. 

“PD-nim needs an award for being the grumpiest person on set!” Someone shouts, and Chang Wook shakes his head as he laughed at the people. It was quite well known that he was super serious when it comes to work that people get intimidated by him sometimes.

“Chang Wook-ssi, we hope that this coming year, you would be nicer and more fortune would come your way!” Jang Suk, the second lead actor of the drama, pats his back as he looked at their colleague. 

“Ya, that’s already my new year’s resolution.” He replied before taking a swig of beer from his bottle. "I'll try my best to be patient this time."

"That's our PD-nim!" Someone else shouts and everyone raises another toast to him with hearty laughs and slurred speech. 

"Ya, PD-nim!" Jang Suk started. "We heard you got a special lady now! Congratulations!" 

The table once again erupted in hollers and cheers for their director, and Chang Wook did nothing but laugh at the commotion. 

"How did you even know that?" He spoke before taking a swig of beer, as well as a piece of meat from the pan.

"I saw you two walking by the district once, and she's really pretty." Jang Suk replied, nudging the director. "You're quite a lucky man, PD-nim."

"Thank you," he replied with a smile. "I'm quite surprised that she loves me as well."

"We're shocked too, PD-nim." Jang Suk spoke before Chang Wook pushes him jokingly, causing everyone to laugh. 

"But honestly, are you two getting married soon?" He asked. "Can you invite us to your wedding?" 

Chang Wook presses his lips together in thought, a pointed look towards Jang Suk. "I think I'll invite everyone but you at this point."

"PD-nim!" He pleaded, and everyone laughed once more at the interaction.

In all honesty, Chang Wook wasn't thinking of marriage, and Ji Hyun as well. They were more focused on making sure that they reach their dreams first and work on themselves better before jumping into something serious like that. They weren't in a rush over anything, and that was one of the things he loved about their relationship.

"No, we're not getting married any time soon." He replied towards him. "Can we at least enjoy being together without putting marriage in the conversation? Come on!" 

Everyone erupts in different reactions this time, and Chang Wook initiates to change the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter