The Answer

The Art of Getting By
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There were three things that Nam Ji Hyun knew when she stepped on her train en route to Seoul: 

Chang Wook already left for Seoul before she did. The ideal time to leave for Seoul from Busan was as early as 5 in the morning.  She was positive that she was in love with her best friend. 

She actually planned to find his hotel room after some time of thinking in the viewing room, but she didn't want to disturb him in his sleep, given that they were both tired from the affairs that happened earlier. So, she opted to just tell him tomorrow and stay in the lounge to sleep. But when the morning after came along, she found out that the man she was looking for already checked out as early as 4 in the morning. So, she moved quickly and grabbed a taxi to take her to Busan station, but alas, he was already gone. She tried contacting him as well, only to no avail, either because his phone was off or he didn't bother to charge it in the first place. She taps her fingers on her lap anxiously, thinking about how this could all go right and wrong at the same time as she looked outside her window and saw the slow change of the sky from navy blue to light blue, the sun slowly peeking through the crevices of the mountains in the horizon. She lets the warmth of the sun hit her face as the train traveled through the countryside. She doesn't notice that she slept through the entire ride when she feels the people by the aisle move quickly to get off the train. She grabs her things quickly, making her way through the crowd, and she was met by the chilling winter breeze, making her grip her coat tighter to her body as she made her way through the station to find a bus that could take her to her street. Luckily, when she reached the bus stop, the bus that arrived was en route to her stop. So, when she boarded the bus, her first agenda was to find him. 

It took her a long time before she finally arrived to her stop, and despite wearing heels, she ran to her street, turning at every corner to arrive at the familiar gates of their home. Even when her feet were aching and she felt the blisters and scars forming, she wasted no time to knock on his door. 

"Oppa?" She knocked on the door, but there was no answer. She decided to go towards her house to drop her things, as well as go to his side of the house through the door that separated their homes. Unfortunately, when she opened the door, his house had no sign of him anywhere. In fact, the key holder by his kitchen lacked the presence of his house keys, meaning he hasn't come home yet. She closes the door in defeat, her anxiety spiking through the roof. He couldn't be contacted, and he still wasn't home yet. She doesn't know what to do at this point, but she knew that she couldn't lose him again, not this time, not ever. She sits for a while on her bed, taking off her shoes to at least ease the pain from her feet, as well as make her exhausted mind rest from the thinking she has been doing last night and even today. She doesn't know where to begin, and she doesn't even know where to look in the first place. All she could do was wait for him to come home and hope that nothing bad happened to him. 

She didn't notice that she took a nap until she wakes up in a cold sweat in the middle of the afternoon, as well as her stomach aching from the lack of food intake this morning. And so, she settled to find some place to eat outside, as well as search in possible places where he could be. If she could, she would search every bit of the city just to find him. She changes into more comfortable clothing, before she left the house, attempting to dial his number once again, but to no response. 

"Where are you?" She desparately said, dialling his number once again. "Please be okay, please be okay..."

She repeats this mantra until she boards another bus which is headed to Insadong next. She figured that this could possibly be a place for him to hang out in since he has a friend living in the area. He could be anywhere at the moment, but the only thing she wanted right now was to find him. She attempts to dial his number once more, but again, it goes back to the same automated message. She circled the area to find his friend's house, but no one was home when she visited. She sighed in defeat before walking around again, looking through windows in the hopes of seeing him. When she felt her stomach grumble, she sighed for a moment before moving to find a place to eat, and she settled for the cheap restaurant that she usually ate at after work. To her surprise, she entered the establishment to see two familiar faces seated at the far end of the restaurant.

"Hae Joon? Yumi?" She asked as she approached them, and the two were happy enough to see their colleague in an unexpected time. 

"We thought you were still sick." Yumi remarked, but with Hae Joon's raised eyebrow at her, the woman took the hint. 

"Oh." She responded. 

Ji Hyun then noticed the new face that was seated beside Hae Joon, and she realized that this was actually his boyfriend. 

"Oh, Ji Hyun. This is Tae Min." He gestured towards the man beside him. "Jagi, this is Ji Hyun, a colleague of mine." 

"It's nice to meet you, Ji Hyun-ssi." Tae Min greeted her, and she bowed towards him as well. 

"It's nice to meet you too, Tae Min-ssi." She smiled towards him. 

"Ji Hyun-ah, please join us." Hae Joon insisted as Yumi scooted over to make some room for her, in which Ji Hyun thanked them graciously. 

"What are you doing here anyways?" Yumi asked her as Ji Hyun looked at the menu. 

"Do you want me to leave then?" She replied, her gaze still at the menu. 

"No, but at least tell me why you're—wait, your eyes are a bit puffy." Yumi remarked. "Are you okay?" 

Ji Hyun pressed her lips together in a thin line before she spoke. "Yes, I'm fine." 

"No, she's not." Hae Joon spoke. "Is it about him?" 

Her silence to his question confirmed his suspicions. "What happened? Did he confess already? Did you say anything? How did it go?" 

She sighed in response. "I...I didn't say anything. I didn't know what to say to him, and I guess he took it the wrong way. I was too shocked to hear him say it, and I got scared with my feelings as well." 

This makes Hae Joon and Tae Min look at each other, before they turn to her. "You got scared because you finally found out that he was in love with you all this time? And you're scared because you don't know what's going to happen in the future?" 

She paused from reading the menu before slowly nodding. She didn't know if Hae Joon's intuition was a blessing or a curse, because hearing that reason from his own mouth sounded pathetic as well. "I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry." Hae Joon spoke. "I understand how you can be so scared because you don't know what's going to happen in the future if you accepted each other's feelings, but if you're really in love with him, then make every moment count and tell him." 

She nodded in response. "The thing is... I don't know where he is."

"What?" Hae Joon and Yumi asked.

"Who?" Tae Min asked as well. 

"The guy she's in love with." Hae Joon briefly spoke, and Tae Min nodded in response, understanding the situation. 

"I couldn't contact him. I don't know where he is, but I knew that he already left Busan before I did." She sighed. "I thought he was here since a friend of his lives in this area, but no one was there as well. I'll have to search the e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter