The Acquaintance

The Art of Getting By
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was slowly becoming a hectic day for the both of them, to say the least.

  
Ji Hyun was going through her own manuscript that needed major editing, since that there were some parts that needed clarifications and more details as well. This time, her manuscript was more the on historical fiction genre with a mix of thriller and crime, and she wanted to highlight the emphasis on some of the emotions and the thoughts of the characters. Being a graduate of Psychology, along with a degree in mass communication, she was taught to understand the thoughts and emotions of different people that come across her way, hence why she can understand and highlight the different personalities of her characters, and even make other people’s characters in their manuscripts a bit more “human”, as said before by her boss. 


Speaking of which, as she was going through with her own manuscript, she was too engrossed in her work that she didn’t even notice that there were more documents being sent along her way until there were multiple messages sent along her e-mail, and a few stacks of papers being dropped on her desk. She jolted in surprise to see the publishing director with a smug smile on her face, her ring-clad hands folded together above the stack of papers. 


“I’m very surprised on how well you worked today, Miss Nam.” She started. “However, you need to work a little faster, since these new manuscripts need to be edited by the end of the week. Luckily, you have someone like Mister Woo to help you in the job.”


Her boss gestured to the man beside her desk, who was engrossed in one of the manuscripts that they needed to check together due to the buddy system. Ji Hyun gave a curt smile to the publishing director, who was currently looking at her intently. “I will do my best to finish my job, gwajang-nim.”


“I’ll look forward to it, Nam Ji Hyun-ssi.” She said before turning around and moving onto the next person.

 
Ji Hyun sighed in relief, letting out the breath that she had been holding. Even after a year of being a part of the publishing house, she’s still not used to being under the supervision of Geum Ji Soo. According to her co-workers, she has some pretty high standards, and a little flaw in the manuscript or anything that doesn’t sit well with her will be sent back, but of course she was nice at times. Ji Hyun couldn’t blame her, though. With a tight competition ahead of them, they had to step up or else they could be left behind. Therefore, she needed to keep up with everyone else to fit, or even surpass their standards. 

 
“Are you alright there?” Hae Joon asked her as he pushed up his round glasses by the bridge of his nose.

 
“Yeah, I’m fine.” She let out a chuckle. 

 
When the lunch hour finally came along, everyone in the office went off into different places, but most of them went to the break room, where everyone was willing to share the latest gossip and whatnot. As usual, Ji Hyun finds herself, and the sandwich she got from the vending machine, seated with Sung Yumi, who was basically thanking her over and over for the little date she had last night.

 
“Ji Hyun-aaaaaah!” She gushed. “If only you introduced me to him a bit earlier. He’s a really great guy! He’s such a gentleman, and he’s absolutely handsome! How are you immune to him?”

Ji Hyun just laughed her statement off as she unconsciously scratched her nails on her palms, thinking on how she was going to answer her question. She couldn’t really deny on how popular her oppa was when it comes to some people. Even when he dropped her off with his motorcycle to her work earlier, a lot of women (and even some men) had to do a double take on the both of them, even to the extent of some of her co-workers asking her if he was single or not. Nonetheless, she doesn’t really press onto that matter and tries her best to change the topic, since she doesn’t really want anyone to delve into her personal relationships, unless it was needed.


“I don’t know.” She shrugged. “I think I got used to him being around me all the time, I guess. Anyways, how was the date?”

 
And from there, Yumi started to narrate on how the date went, up to when they met and up to the things they talked about, and even how he politely took her home. Ji Hyun looked at her friend, a small smile on her face as she observed how happy she was for last night. When she was done, she chuckled a bit on her friend’s blushing cheeks and the smile that couldn’t be wiped off her face. 

 
“Did you guys plan on another date yet?” Ji Hyun asked, taking a bite of the sandwich as she looked at her. 

 
“I was planning to ask him out on a museum date, or maybe somewhere with food again.” Yumi replied, tapping her nails on the table. 

 
“Take him to anywhere with food. He likes to eat a lot.” Ji Hyun suggested, taking another bite of her sandwich. “But, when will you ask him, though?”

 
She watched Yumi as she stopped tapping on the table, thinking intently on her next answer. “I don’t know. Can you ask him when he’ll be available?”

 
Ji Hyun sighed in response. “We’ll see, alright?”

 
Yumi gushed once more, but before she could say anything, everyone was rushing back to their desks once someone came around to say gwajang-nim came back to assess their work. Along the way, Ji Hyun bumped into someone, and when she looked up, she sees Hae Joon with a warm smile on his face. 

 
“Are we still going out for tonight?” He asked.

 
Ji Hyun blinked, keeping her composure, but still making sure that she was friendly. “Of course. Where do you want to go?”


“You know that new coffee shop across Ilsan?” He replied. “I kind of want to check that out. Is that okay with you?”

 
She nodded towards him, but the two of them suddenly went on a state of panic when they heard the familiar sound of heels clicking on the tiles, her footsteps getting closer. The two of them ran towards their desks, just when Miss Geum came inside the room. The two of them shared a look, careful not to laugh a bit at the situation at hand, and continued with their work.

 
Chang Wook and the entire production team of the drama that he was currently handling, on the other hand, were on crunch time, since the allotted time for the shooting of their pre-produced drama was slowly nearing the deadline, and there were a few more scenes that needed to be shot, particularly the heavier scenes in the drama. He was currently going through the script and checking the details behind the camera, as he directed the crew in terms of the lighting and the positions of the actors. It was a bit nerve-wracking for him to say the least, since this was his first time that he has done a pre-produced drama, which meant whatever the outcome of this drama, when it airs across the televisions in the country, he has nothing to change about it, despite the criticisms that will come along the way. Nonetheless, whatever the outcome that will come out of the days ahead, he was grateful for every opportunity that would come along his way.

 
“Cut!” He shouted once they finally got a good take. “Let’s have a thirty-minute break! I expect everyone to come back here to do the next scene. Please eat and rest well for a while.”

 
The production crew suddenly sprang into action, moving and changing the equipment and the wires along the set as they prepared the set for the next scene. When they were all done, they went to the food trucks sent by the fans of the actors involved in the drama, happily taking the food that was offered, even taking pictures by the banners as well, since there were some food trucks that were sent by some of the actors that worked with the actors in the drama before. Ji PD looked back at how happy the crew were as they were given a cup of coffee by another food truck as well, and he sat back and reviewed the scene in the script, already envisioning on how it could go on, but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter