The Present

The Art of Getting By
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chang Wook feels a slight strain by his neck as he woke up from his slumber, only to realize the state of where he actually slept. 

He expected that the woman who slept by his side would still be there when he woke up in his couch, but the first thing that he wakes up to was her handwriting on a piece of paper beside him, as well as the scent of fruits and vanilla, the scent he knows and loves. He scratched his scalp and pulled the thick blanket closer to his body as he read the note.

I'm sorry, I have to go back to work today. We can have lunch together later if you want :)

He sighed to himself as he read the message again, and then he remembered that she only had two days off from her work, leaving him a bit disappointed. He then noticed something behind the note, a few characters scribbled out with blank ink, but were legible enough to be read. 

I love you, have a great day today.

The events of last night suddenly come back to him as he read the words. If anything, he felt like he was on top of the world with how everything turned out. It really was quite a shock to him that the feelings were mutual, considering how she was always so reserved and that she wasn't really keen on being expressive with her feelings. But nonetheless, it was like a dream come true that he woke up to a day wherein he knew that they both loved each other, and it was enough to make him feel warm inside. He goes to the kitchen to make his breakfast with a slight bounce to his step, his cheeks hurting from smiling too much. He cooks his meal with a little sway in his movements, even hurting himself by bumping his hip in one of the corners of the counter, making him wince in pain. If there was one thing that Ji Chang Wook wasn't great in, it would be dancing, even if it was in the slightest movements. His little episode was suddenly cut short when his phone rang, and he immediately went over to it like he wasn't in pain in the first place. 

"Hello?" He greeted.

"I'm guessing you just woke up, am I right?" Ji Hyun asked through the phone. 

"I'm actually cooking my food right now." He spoke as he walked back to the kitchen to put his cooked meal onto his plate. 

"I'm sorry if I had to leave early." She sighed. 

"Why are you apologizing for going to your job?" He asked. "If anything, I should be sorry that I made you stay in my place when you had work today."

"Yeah, but I still want to apologize because you might've been a bit sad when you woke up without me." She replied. 

As much as he wanted to say that she was wrong, it really wasn't a complete lie that he felt lonely waking up without her by his side. "I'm not, I promise. Are you still up for lunch?"

"The usual?"

"The usual."

"Alright, I'll meet you there, oppa." She spoke, but not before calling his name again. 

"What is it? Do you need anything."

"No..." She trailed off before she paused, her next words a mere whisper. "...I can't really say anything since I'm in the middle of work so I have to make this quick. I love you, and have a nice day." 

He tried to keep the little squeal from leaving his lips. "I love you too, see you later." 

Once his call was done, he sighed to himself in content, digging into his first meal of the day, excited with what's to come. 

---

"So, you actually accepted the offer even when the writer had no record of having hit dramas?" Ji Hyun asked as they waited for their meals. 

Chang Wook's first agenda was meeting up with a few people from the production crew to talk about the new drama that he was going to direct. He took interest of a script that was offered to him by a fresh writer, and it was a bit of a bold move for him as well, considering how this writer had no reputation yet on how well his works were, but he had some faith in the new kid, so he decided to take on the project. The production committee all met up in the station wherein the drama would take place, and everyone cooperated to make the project go in full swing. Once he was done for the day, the man immediately dashed to their usual restaurant, that was a few blocks from the station. 

"I'm not really all up for someone's reputation for that matter." He shrugged. "As long as I find someone's script different and exciting, I'd love to make it come to life." 

"I'm impressed." She replied. "I can't wait to what you're going to pull off from this one. And you're stacking a lot of works right now, from one pre-produced drama to another." 

"Oh, this isn't really pre-produced. We're quite scared that this might be shot late into the broadcasting, since we haven't found the leads just yet." He sighed to himself. 

"But anyways, I'll be waiting for the ideas that scriptwriter Nam Ji Hyun would offer in this industry." He continued, raising his eyebrows. "I heard she studied in NYU for her craft, and she's got some pretty good ideas that could change the game."

She raised her eyebrows at him. "How sure are you with that statement?"

"A hundred percent." He replied without missing a beat. "Ji Hyun, you have so much potential in you, and I'm not saying this because I'm biased or anything, it's because you really do have a lot of good ideas that could change how the stories are told."

"I'm glad that you're one of the few people who actually admire my craft." She smiled at him.

"And soon, that group will be growing and a lot of people will admire you, but I'll always be behind you no matter what." He replied solemnly, and before she could say anything, the food arrived. The two thanked the server before they dug into their meals, the silence ensuing afterwards. Since Ji Hyun had a good twenty minutes to spare for her lunch break, the two casually strolled around the block, fingers slightly interlocked as they looked around the shops and cafés for something warm. As they were enveloped in silence, a thought crossed Ji Hyun's mind, but she was too scared to talk about it towards him, until he spoke up. 

"So... what does this make us of now?" He asked. 

She would be lying if she said that she didn't think about that, but she couldn't help it. She didn't want to go too fast when it comes to relationships, with the fear of making things worse when things are rushed. It was one of the reasons why there was a strain in her relationship with Do Hwan before, and she was keen on not making the same mistake again. 

"Can we just...try and take things slow?" She started, bracing for his reaction. "I just want to spend time and be with you without rushing anything and..." 

She trailed off after that, not really knowing where she's heading with the conversation. As much as she was so sure that she wanted to be in a relationship with him, she was still scared that things would go off the rails once they finally go in it for the long haul. 

"I know what you're going for." He replied. "And that's okay with me. If you're still scared about this entire relationship thing, it's okay. We'll take things slow and we won't do anything hasty." He replied, both of his hands holding one of her hands. 

"What matters right now, is that you're here with me. And that itself is enough." He smiled at her as he finished his words. 

She sighed in relief before moving closer to him, winding an arm around his waist, and his winding an arm around her shoulder as they continued to walk along the street. "Thank you for being patient with me."

"I'll always be patient when it comes to you." He replied, placing a small kiss on the top of her head as they continued to walk around the block, their warm, contented hearts shielded from the cold, quiet streets.

___

"How does it feel being a hotshot director? I heard the press and the sites went wild for this drama."

"It feels... okay? It's a bit nerve-wracking, but it's okay, I guess."

The two were finally reunited after a few hours of work, lounging by Ji Hyun's bed as they watched the first broadcast of the pre-produced drama he directed. After their lunch, Chang Wook had to prepare himself for the press conference of the drama, and the reception and the press was clearly overwhelming, considering how the leads were well-known Hallyu stars, as well as the promotion and the hype of the drama was pretty huge, as well as the fact that the anticipation for this drama even reached overseas, the demand for the rights of the drama in different countries increasing as the first broadcast inched closer. It was really something new for him, but it only fueled his happiness and his fear as well on how well this drama will turn out. Luckily, as they watched from the comforts of their home, beer and chicken by the bedside, he feels calmer than before, especially since Ji Hyun was being nothing but supportive towards him and his works. 

"Well, this story seems to be promising." She replied, grabbing a piece of chicken. "Eomma was right, you do have an eye for good dramas."

"Do I?" He asked, his eyebrows raised. "Or maybe you're just saying that."

"I'm not. The story looks really good and considering how high-profile your cast is, it will be a hit. Not to mention how talented the PD is in directing and putting this series altogether."

"Is he now?" He turned towards her, a taunting smile on his face. "I heard he's pretty handsome as well."

"Oh really? I heard he's pretty... pretty overconfident."

"You don't think I'm handsome?" He asked, pointing at his face. 

"Oh I do," she started, her gaze at the television. "But your good looks can really make you overconfident at times. I get it, you look like a god and you can probably get away with almost anything with one stare."

"But you're stunning as well." He replied, placing a strand of hair behind her ear as he kept his gaze on her. "You're one gorgeous woman, but your intelligence is something else. You could get away with almost anything with your wit." 

"Thanks, I've been aware with how strong my visual and intellectual appeal is." She smirked, her gaze still on the television as she reached for another chicken by her side. 

"Aish, this woman." He muttered to himself, before he felt a small kiss by his cheek, as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter