The Blind Date

The Art of Getting By
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You still pour milk before your cereal?"

"You're still judging my habits, oppa? You have been doing that for the past three years we've been coexisting together."

Nam Ji Hyun's hangover and annoyance with Ji Chang Wook has led her to preparing her own breakfast, making use of the milk and cereal in his refrigerator, since Chang Wook was still sleeping by the time she woke up, and also since she hasn't gone grocery shopping yet, leaving her with an empty pantry. She would've called him down to help her with her hangover, but she was not in the mood to speak to him for who knows what reason. Even after years of being friends with Ji Hyun, Chang Wook still isn't used to how she gets annoyed by him for no reason. It has always been like that every time one of them goes out, though: one of them drinks, someone picks them up, they go home, and they wait until the other person falls asleep. The only difference is that she wakes up with the feeling of annoyance towards him when she's hungover. Maybe it was the pettiness that stemmed from him about that one time he made fun of her when she was drunk before, making its way back into her hangover anger. He sighed with the thought as he continued to eat the fried rice he cooked, in which she grabbed another plate to get a few spoonfuls of the fried rice he made. Even if she was annoyed, he knew well to the point that she'll eat anything he'll cook for her. In fact, he knew her well to the point of knowing her reactions and her quirks, what makes her tick and what makes her happy. It has been the consequences of acquainting and befriending someone as tenacious as Nam Ji Hyun. Nonetheless, they still stay in their little bubble of friendship, and it has been that way for the longest time now.

"Oh, Sun Bin left a voicemail in your landline. She said something about a second date?" Ji Hyun grumbled as she ate her cereal, biting down carefully as she let her words out.

"I actually opted that we'd be better as friends on our first "date". I don't even know why she's insisting on a second one when she's a little too far gone on the narcissistic side sometimes." Chang Wook cringed as he remembered the date in horror, remembering how his date would rather look at anything that could show her reflection than talk to him at least, and even being rude to the staff when the orders were cooking a bit too long for her liking. He even had to excuse himself a lot of times just to call Ji Hyun on how he can escape the date without sounding too rude to say at least.

"See, this is why you need me." Ji Hyun stated as she looked up momentarily from her cereal. "When things are about to go wrong, at least you have a wingwoman like me to save the day. At least give credit when due, you wuss."

This makes Chang Wook chuckle to himself. It was somehow the benefit of having her as a close friend for so long: her tenacity balances well with his awkwardness, and it was never a dull moment when it came to the both of them. This was also the benefit for being a "housemate" of his, since he knew her quirks and she knew his. When the landlord of his house offered the space behind his house for rent a few years ago, she opted to take the offer at a reasonable price, not knowing that there was also another person living in one side of the house. When she moved in and explored the space, she was shocked to find a door that led to another part of the house, which was actually his part of the house. At first, Chang Wook was insistent on barricading the door or making a wall on it, and even bribing the landlord on getting her out of the house, but after some time, he got accustomed to her presence to the point that he stopped blocking his door to let her in whenever she needed something. Time went by, and they got to know each other over the smallest things: how she liked her ramen, what type of drunk he is, her favorite book to read, and the other stuff. It was an unusual start for their friendship, but it was refreshing to say the least for the both of them, but they would never admit that to each other. Three years later, they're still bickering, but they were willing to help each other over anything and everything that came in their way.

"Alright then," He said as he finished his meal, placing his utensils neatly on his clean plate. "Thank you for being the best wingwoman ever, Nam Ji Hyun. Now, help me deal with this current issue, since you're so good at it."

She knew how Chang Wook lacked experience in the dating department, since it has been a long time since he dated someone, which was almost three years ago. Much to her demise, Ji Hyun was willing to help him in anything, since he practically helped her in everything up to this day. No matter what happens, she would always try her best to help him.

"Alright," she said, rubbing her hands together as she's trying to devise a plan. "Do you want another date with Sun Bin, or do you want someone else?"

He rubs his chin in wonder. "I kind of want someone else, to be honest."

She looks at the plastic fruit decor on the dining table as she thought of the list of people she knew that would probably suit his taste. Son Ji Hee? No, she's too much of an opposite for him. Kang Ha Yoon? No, she was a bit similar to Sun Bin as well. Suddenly, a name pops up in her mind.

"I think I know someone you might like, but I'm not going to share any details." She said as she pointed her finger at him. "But, you need to call off Sun Bin yourself to make it clear. I don't want be the bearer of bad news to anyone."

He sighed in response as he pushed his chair back and took his plate. "Alright. But I hope the next date would be a lot better than before or else."

"Trust me, it's going to be oka—" she was cut off when the loud ringing of the telephone went off around their little space. Chang Wook was still looking at Ji Hyun in fright, afraid that maybe it was Sun Bin that was calling them at this hour. The two bickered through their expressions, with her silently pointing at the phone and with him shaking his head and pointing at her to do it. But after a few seconds, Chang Wook gave up and dashed to the phone, only to encounter an angry Sun Bin on the other line. Ji Hyun made her way towards the sink with her empty bowl and as well as his plate that he left on the table, and washed the dishes, trying her best not to chuckle at her friend. Once he was done with the call, she was already placing the dishes in the cabinet as she faced him, a nervous look plastered on his face.

"It didn't go well, did it?" She asked him, and he nodded in response.

"I told her in the calmest and the most respectful way possible that I wasn't really interested in another date, and then she cursed at me a lot." He cringed in response.

"Aw, is oppa hurt?" She taunted him, but he gave her a serious look, in which she cringed. "I'm sorry, that was a bit too soon."

"You bet it is." He grumbled under his breath before he felt her arms wrap around his torso, her cheek pressing up against his chest.

"I'm sorry. I promise, the next person will be worth it. I swear on that." She spoke as she kept her arms around him, in which he returned wholeheartedly, rubbing his chin onto her shoulder.

"It better be." He grumbled again under his breath, in which she chuckled in response before she pulled away.

"Alright, now you have exactly eight hours as Ji Chang Wook the production director before you transition into Ji Chang Wook, the guy with the blind date. So, you better make this day count or you’re going to find your next date yourself." She said as she pushed him towards the direction of his bedroom.

"Okay! Okay, I'll go." He spoke to her as he raised his hands up in surrender, before speaking under his breath. "What did I do to even deserve this woman in the first place?"

"I heard that!" She shouted as she made her way towards her own side of the house as she prepared herself for the day ahead. 

___

"Cut!"

Ji PD shouts as they filmed the last scene for the day, and he was somewhat dreading this moment to say the least, because he knew that after this, he's about to place himself in a date where he doesn't know if it will go well or not. When the crew packed up the equi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter