Last Episode

The Playful Film Student
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Last Episode

Son Naeun

 

“Are you Son Naeun-ssi?” I looked up, only to meet Kim Namjoo who was staring down at me. “Can we please talk?”

“I-I’m sorry. You found the wrong person.” I tried to excuse myself and walk away but she stopped me, taking the seat next to mine in that silent library.

“Just give me a few minutes of your time. I promise I won’t disturb you ever again.” She begged, holding my hand as if she didn’t want me to go.

I didn’t want to listen at all. Every time I stare at her, I started feeling envious and insecurity hits me to the very core. She was really beautiful, more beautiful than I would ever be.  And knowing how she captured Eunji’s heart… I have no fight against her.

“Eunji was telling the truth when she said she loves you. Please give her a chance.”

What…?

I stared at her, a blank expression on my face for I didn’t know what it all would mean if I show my real feelings. In fact, I was shocked, confused… doubting…

How could Eunji even love me…? I’m just no one compared to her.

“Eunji was my first love… same as I was to her.” She began, taking a sigh as she told me the story. “She was always close to certain that I was the one. She would chase me every single time, and make me feel special. Everything was perfect… The problem just lies with me.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m afraid of commitment you see. I’m afraid of being left behind. I don’t trust the relationship I used to have with her as much as she did. And so I decided to leave everything behind, including her, and moved overseas.”

I bit my lip, stopping myself from giving any more reaction as I let her tell her story.

“My love for Eunji won’t disappear, and as they say, first love never really dies. But love changes… and I guess Eunji’s heart changed as well…”

 

“…she loves you, Naeun-ssi. I can see it in her eyes, every time I spot her spending time with you. That happy glint on her face whenever you are with her wasn’t lies. She was genuine in every moment she spent with you… and I know, somehow, that whatever she feels for you right now was there longer before you both even realized.”

“W-what are you talking about? Eunji and I knew each other for just a few months from now…”

“Then perhaps someone was looking over you for a while now, before you even noticed.”

“Son Naeun of the Performing Arts Department, you are requested to come in Room 3-A as soon as possible. I repeat, Son Naeun of the Performing Arts Department, you are requested to come in Room 3-A as soon as possible. Thank you.”

The sudden announcement took me in a surprise. However, Kim Namjoo-ssi just gave me a smile before letting me go. With the last words, she said. “I hope you say yes.”

 

When I first stepped in the third floor, I didn’t know what to expect. In fact, I wasn’t sure if I was still in the same part of the world at that moment. No one was visible in the hallways. It was a bit dark and spooky and I would’ve run away… if not for the neatly lit candles lining up on both sides of the hallway.

“What is happening?” I was left in wonder as I continued walking, down to the hallway until I noticed big frames hanging up the walls. It took me a while to realize that it was all photos of me. I didn’t know where the photos were taken though. Some seems stolen, while others… I have no fond memory at all. White parchment notes were pasted next to the frames with words written to them. I was thankful that the lighting was enough to make me read it, although I feel my cheeks blush as each word register to my brain.

“This is the girl I fell in love with.”

“When I first met her, she seemed pretty normal. Just another girl in the same university.”

“That’s what I thought. But as each time I bump at her down the 13th Avenue, I found myself being more curious about her.”

“She let her hair hang loose. Didn’t even matter if her hair’s messy after studying a little too hard.”

“She doesn’t care about the people around her. That’s why she didn’t notice me, the popular kid in the university, to always trail her around if I had a chance.”

“Yeah… I’m that kind of an admirer. And I’m such a coward, for I can’t even talk to her face to face.”

“I had that one chance though. She was so beautiful; I can’t help but take a picture.”

I stopped my tracks at that photo. It was the first time I was staring right at the camera. And it was at that night, when she asked to take a photo of me and that little cat.

“And each day after the next, I got a little too excited, maybe because finally I can stand a few feet next to her instead of a ten meter distance.”

“Each time I’m with her, I need to stop myself from blurting out the words thoughtlessly.”

“A simple “I’ve fallen for you”” would’ve worked… but I always doubt if she ever felt something for me.”

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter