Past and Present

Still in Love

Jaejoong looked at the invitation once more to be sure he got the right address. He was on the right street and building. He parked the car before he and Changmin got out of the car.

 

“Wow, this is really fancy. What kind of party it this?” Changmin asked.

 

“An old friend is breaking ground for his new company.” He answered as they entered the building.

 

Jaejoong looked around and noticed how high class it was. They found signs in the lobby pointing them to a ball room. They followed the sign and found the doors to the ballroom guarded by two men.

 

“Invitation.” They both said.

 

Jaejoong handed them the invitation. They looked it over before they stepped aside and let them through. He bowed slightly to them before entering. On the other side of the doors they found many other dressed so elegantly that he felt a little underdressed.

 

As they walked further into the ballroom a few people turned to them. Jaejoong felt as if there was a spotlight on him. Maybe this was a bad idea he thought but nonetheless he took a breath and continued on. He was raised in this world of pretension and all he needed to do was act as if he was an heir to a large company. As long as his poker face didn’t falter people would believe him.

 

He found the bar and went for a drink. He had a glass of champagne along with Changmin. They both leaned against the bar as they drank their bubbly drink.

 

“Wow, this is really something.” Changmin drank his drink.

 

Jaejoong looked around the room. His eyes only looking for one person but he was suddenly interrupted by his name being called. He turned to see who was calling him and seen someone he hadn’t seen in years.

 

“Jaejoong?” Heechul approached him.

 

“Heechul?” Jaejoong reached out his hand for a handshake. “What are you doing here? Are you still working for him?” He asked.

 

He laughed and shook his hand. “No, I just ran into Yunho a week ago and he invited me. My friend just moved into the same building as his girlfriend and we just bumped into each other.” Heechul stood next to Jaejoong. “Wow I am so surprised to see you here after all this time. You still look the same and I would assume you came with Yunho if I didn’t already know he has a girlfriend.”

 

Jaejoong nervously laughed. “Well no, his girlfriend is a friend of mine. That is how we met.”

 

Heechul looked over to Changmin. “So is this your boyfriend?”

 

“Oh no, I am just his friend. We co-own a bakery together.” Changmin turned to Heechul.

 

“Ah yes, Heechul meet Changmin. Changmin meet Heechul. Heechul was the secretary of my friend.” Jaejoong looked to Heechul and seen the confused gaze in his eyes that only lasted a few seconds before it was blinked away.

 

“Yes, Jaejoong and I go way back.” Heechul smiled at Changmin.

 

“By the way, have you seen Yunho?” He asked.

 

“Umm...Yes he is on the other side talking with some investors.” Heechul pointed to the other side of the room.

 

Jaejoong looked in that direction and seen him talking very seriously with two other men. He looked quite handsome in his all black suit.

 

“Ahem.” Changmin bumped him and pulled his attention away.

 

“Well if you will excuse me, I see someone else I know.” Heechul started to walk away but stopped. “Jaejoong please don’t leave without giving me your number, we needed to have coffee sometime.” He waved and left.

 

Jaejoong nodded and turned back to see Yunho still talking with the two men. Wow, He almost forgot how gentlemanly he looked with a suit on. He found himself staring at his ex-husband almost reminiscing about the past. He remembered their second wedding. He remembered how cold he was and how Yunho held him tight to fend off the cold. He remembered those strong arms and those strong....

 

“Jaejoong?” Changmin waved his hand in front of his face.

 

He immediately shook himself of those thoughts. “Yes?”

 

“Who is he?” Changmin asked looking to Yunho across the room.

 

“An old friend.” He answered.

 

“Really?” Changmin gave him a suspicious look.

 

Jaejoong smiled and drank the rest of his champagne and chatted with Changmin about work. Before long they ordered another drink and soon they were on their third glass of Champagne. They were so engrossed within their own conversation that they didn’t notice the handsome man approaching them.

 

“Jaejoong.” Yunho spoke in a soft voice.

 

Jaejoong turned to see Yunho standing a few steps away.

 

“I am glad you were able to make it.” He smiled.

 

Jaejoong suddenly felt nervous. “I am too.”

 

“Hello.” Changmin looked to Yunho.

 

“Hello.” Yunho smiled at Changmin.

 

“Yunho meet my friend Changmin. He co-owns the bakery I work at. He is an excellent baker. Changmin this is Yunho. We used to work together years ago.” Jaejoong introduced the pair.

 

“Nice to meet you. So you are the friend that invited Jaejoong here?” Changmin shook Yunho’s hand.

 

“Friend...Of course friend. Jaejoong and I were business partners for a short period of time but lost touch after I moved to the States.” He paused. “Have you seen the small buffet of food?” He asked both of them.

 

“Food?” Changmin looked around the room.

 

“Yeah, it’s over there.” He pointed to a place not far from them.

 

“How did I miss that?” Changmin turned to Jaejoong. “Excuse me.” He left to the buffet.

 

“You are not going to eat?” He asked Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong shook his head. “I ate a big meal before I came.”

 

“I thought you would have brought your fiance.” Yunho turned to Jaejoong.

 

“He is busy with work. So I asked Changmin to come with me.” Jaejoong averted his gaze from Yunho’s.

 

“Then perhaps you won’t mind if I keep you company until your friend comes back?” Yunho looked to the bartender and ordered a drink. “So I take it he doesn’t know about us does he?” Yunho looked in the direction of Changmin.

 

“No, I didn’t tell anyone I was married before. After you left I just considered myself as not having been married. It was easier that way.” As soon as the last sentence left his lips he immediately regretted it. He looked away and cautiously took a sip of the Champagne. “Have you told anyone?”

 

Yunho paused for a moment and his lips.“Yes, I told one person. I felt that they should know because they were my fiance.” He drank the rest of his drink.

 

Jaejoong nearly choked. “What?” He looked to Yunho.

 

“I was engaged before and I thought, since I was going to marry them that I ought to tell them about my past. They didn’t like the idea of arranged marriages but found our love story sweet.” Yunho smiled.

 

He was engaged? Jaejoong thought. To who was he engaged to? He wondered.

 

“When…” Jaejoong began but was interrupted when a couple of men in suits approached them.

 

“Mr. Jung, the representatives from Group B finally arrived and they would like to greet you.” One of the men announced.

 

Jaejoong looked to the men and noticed one of them looked familiar. He looked to them for a moment before he recognized them. Quickly he turned away and looked for Changmin.

 

“Group B representatives.” Yunho looked to them.

 

“I apologize for our tardiness Mr. Jung.” They bowed. “I am Mr. Lee Young Jin.”

 

“Jaejoong?” It was the voice of his fiance.

 

He looked to see Yihan there.

 

“Yihan I want you to meet Mr. Jung.” Young Jin introduced Yihan to Yunho.

 

Yunho reached for Yihan’s hand. “We met before. It’s nice to see you again.” Yunho smiled.

 

“You too. I am surprised to see my Jaejoong here though.” Yihan took Jaejoong’s hand.

 

Jaejoong smiled and held Yihan’s hand.

 

“Ah yes, the betrothed couple. Don’t they make a handsome couple.” Young Jin smiled at the couple.

 

“They sure do.” Yunho stood back to admire them.

 

Jaejoong felt regret wash over him. He turned his head down to look awkwardly at his shoes.

 

“Jaejoong, why don’t keep your fiance company. I have something I would like to discuss with Mr. Jung.” Young Jin pulled away Yunho.

 

“It was good of you to come.” Yunho inclined his head in a small bow before leaving.

 

Jaejoong dreaded this moment alone with Yihan. He pulled his hand away from Yihan’s.

 

“What are you doing here?” Yihan asked.

 

“I was invited.” Jaejoong answered.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Yihan eyes narrowed as if expecting him to lie.

 

Jaejoong a breath. “Don’t you remember last night? How do you think I can tell you anything when you are in that kind of mood?” He asked in a low voice.

 

Yihan sighed and his face saddened. “Jaejoong, I am sorry. I have just been stressed lately. I am really sorry.” He took both of Jaejoong’s hands into his. “Please understand me.” He begged.

 

“I can’t understand it Yihan. It’s been months without a single incident. Why now? If you are stressed about the wedding should we just call it off because I can’t get married like this.” Jaejoong pulled up his sleeve and Yihan seen the bruises.

 

He sighed. “I am sorry. I do want to marry you. Please don’t call off the wedding.” He leaned forward and kissed Jaejoong on the forehead. “Let’s just go home. You and I, we’ll have a nice long hot bath and go to bed. It’s been a very long day and I don’t have to work tomorrow. I’ll make you breakfast.”

 

Jaejoong looked passed Yihan and seen Yunho. He didn’t want his eyes to linger on his ex-husband for too long before he looked back to Yihan.

 

“I don’t want a bath but I am tired. I’ll give Changmin a ride home and I’ll see you soon?” He smiled at his fiance.

 

“Okay, I’ll go say goodbye to everyone and I’ll meet you at home.” Yihan leaned into Jaejoong and their lips met in a small innocent kiss before he left him.

 

Jaejoong watched him leave.

 

“I did not expect to see him here.” Changmin came to Jaejoong’s side. “Is there something wrong?”

 

Jaejoong glanced at Yunho for the smallest second and he didn’t seem to notice him. After a bit he shook his head.

 

“I am tired, Changmin. I know we weren’t here for long but how about we call it a night. There is only so much I can stand of these kinds of things.” He looked to his friend.

 

“Okay. I am getting tired too. Remember you are opening tomorrow.” Changmin pointed to him as he began to walk toward the exit.

 

Jaejoong smiled and followed behind Changmin. He took a few steps and he heard his name. He stopped and looked to find Heechul there.

 

“You are going too soon.” Heechul frowned.

 

“Yes, I am pretty tired and I have to go to work early in the morning.” He smiled. “I own a bakery. Why don’t you come over and I’ll treat you to our finest.” He pulled his wallet from his pocket and pulled his card from it. “It has our address on it. I hope to see you there my friend is co-owner so he’ll be there too. I have to go my friend is waiting.”

 

“Okay. It was really nice to see you again. I will be sure to come visit.” He smiled and pulled Jaejoong into an embrace.

 

Jaejoong was surprised but accepted the embrace. He looked up and seen Yunho there watching him. Their eyes connected for the smallest second and Jaejoong felt alive in that moment. He blinked and pulled away from Heechul.

 

“I’ll see you soon.” Heechul turned away left.

 

Jaejoong didn’t want to look up because he was afraid he would see Yunho’s eyes again. Instead he turned and walked away.

 

He met Changmin at the car and once they were in the car Jaejoong took a breath.

 

Changmin noticed a change in Jaejoong. His friend looked a little depressed. “What is it?” He asked.

 

Jaejoong looked to Changmin. “This was a mistake.”

 

“What why?” Changmin looked to his friend worried.

 

Jaejoong started the car. “My ex-husband was the one that invited me.” He sighed and drove away with Changmin’s mouth ajar in surprise and shock.