The Truth No One Knows

Still in Love

Everything was finished and the day was done. Jaejoong had finished the last bit of cleaning before going home. Changmin was in the back get his things together. Jaejoong went to him. He was nervous about asking him this one question because he already turned him down once before and he refuses to attend his wedding. 

“Changmin.” Jaejoong whispered.

“Yes.” He said so nonchalantly while he gathered his bag. 

“I need to ask you a favor.” He smiled and hoped he would say yes. 

“Sure, anything.” Changmin stood up straighter and tossed his bag over his shoulder. 

“Yoochun can’t be my best man because his wife is pregnant with twins and she needs the rest. I know you dislike Yihan and my wedding but can you be my best man?” Jaejoong asked of his friend. 

Changmin’s face became serious. He sighed and shook his head. “You already know my answer. I really don’t want you two to get married. I don’t understand how you could stay at his side after all that he has done to you. I also hate that I am the only one to know the true him. So no I won’t be your best man.” 

“Come on, Changmin, he’s changed. We have been good and his anger has been in check. He’s really a good man if you got to know him. Please Changmin there is no one else I can ask.” Jaejoong pleaded. 

“That’s because if others knew the true him they wouldn’t attend this wedding either.” Changmin put his bag back down. “You deserve far better than him. You make him out to seem like a good man but no one has seen the times you were bruised because he hit you. You say he changed. It’s been two years since you two got together and the day he proposed to you, you had two day old bruises on your back and a fractured wrist. He threw you over the sofa and you say yes to his proposal. I just can’t watch you commit your life to a man like that. I just won’t.” 

“That was six month ago and he hasn’t hurt me since then. He promised it would be different when we are married. Please Changmin I love him and he loves me it just I can be too needy sometimes.” Jaejoong argued. 

Changmin looked at him in disbelief. “ I can’t believe this. He has hurt you several times and you always come to me. I am tired of putting ice on your bruises and wiping your tears.” 

Jaejoong put up his hands in surrender. “Fine. I won’t mention it anymore.” 

Changmin’s face softened. “I am your friend and I worry about you.” He put his hand on his shoulder. 

Jaejoong nodded and turned away from him while he left. When he was alone Jaejoong looked around at the empty shop. He sat there on a chair nearby. He knew the words Changmin spoke were true. He’s been building a perfect image of his fiance but it’s quite different. 

Yihan was a wonderful man but sometimes he is not. Only under his anger and alcohol does he ever hurt him. Each time Jaejoong had been the reason for it. The first time Jaejoong had bothered him with text messages and phone calls but it was late and he didn’t return from work. He came home very late smelling of strong alcohol and red with anger. That night was the first night he hit him. It was his face and his eye was swollen for a few days. He apologized and he promised not to do it again but that only lasted a month. They went to a party and Yihan had too much to drink. That time he pushed him too hard against the wall and caused a large bruise to cover his back. Each time it was in a place no one would see the bruises like his arms or his legs. Yihan once kicked Jaejoong hard on his shin when he tried to stop him from drinking. 

Jaejoong hid the abuse so well that only Changmin knew. No one else would guess because he has been covering for his future husband so much so that on the outside they seemed like the perfect couple. He lied to cover the abuse because the attention he received from their happy engagement felt way better than the pain. 

At least it’s been months since the last fight. Jaejoong took comfort that maybe Yihan was better and his anger and drinking was under control. He thought maybe the night before when he came home angry, that the old Yihan was back but it was not so. Yihan was angry but upon seeing a frightened Jaejoong he changed to a smiling Yihan. Since then Jaejoong felt a change.

It was already late when Jaejoong returned. Yihan was there in the kitchen cleaning the dirty dishes. He looked a little angry. Jaejoong cautiously approached his fiance in the kitchen. 

“Did you cook?” He whispered and smiled weakly. 

“Finally you come home. I already ate and cleaned everything. I figured you already ate so I just tossed the leftovers.” Yihan looked up tiredly to his fiance. “Where were you?” 

“Yoochun can’t be my best man so I was trying to ask Changmin but he can’t.” Jaejoong confessed. “I am tired anyway. I am not hungry.” He went for his bedroom. 

“Really? That tired that you don’t need food?” Yihan’s voice carried shadows of doubt. 

Jaejoong stopped and nodded. “We had a lot of orders and we have Lina’s cake to begin making. She finally chose a design. Her wedding is in three weeks and ours is three weeks after that. I already went over the details. Venue, food and our cake is already decided but we still need to decide on our clothes but you have been working late lately.”

“You’ve already taken care of everything. You know my size just get me whatever you want.” Yihan went to their bedroom. 

Jaejoong frowned and followed him. “You’ve been really busy. Do you even want to get married now? Getting our clothes together is supposed to be something we do together. I feel like I am planning this wedding for myself.” He knew he should probably hold back a little but he is tired too and he wants Yihan to pay a little more attention to the wedding. 

“I work late for us. Do you know how much this wedding is costing me? I don’t have time to stop and discuss clothes and food with you. You know it much better than me. Whatever you decided I’m okay with it.” Yihan sat on their bed. 

“Yihan?” Jaejoong sighed. 

“I am done with this. I had a hard day at work and I have to be back at work tomorrow and I have to work this weekend. By the looks of it I may not get home til late in the night so don’t wait up for me. I just wanted a quiet evening.” Yihan stood up angrily and Jaejoong took a step back. “Forget it. I am just going to take a shower.” 

Jaejoong watched as Yihan disappeared behind the bathroom door. He took a breath after he heard that click of the door being shut. He tried to calm his beating heart. Yihan had changed. Months ago he would have ht Jaejoong but tonight instead he left for a shower. He hoped that his lover would not hurt him again. 

He pulled away his shirt and stepped out of his pants so before he climbed into bed. At least for tonight he was going to be okay. His exhausted was seeped deep into his bones that he found sleep before his fiancee could finish with his shower. 

The next morning Jaejoong awoke to an empty bed. Yihan was already gone to work. It was Friday with the start of the weekend it was bound to be busier. Instead of carrying that disappointment and sadness from last night Jaejoong buried it into his work. The work day was long and it was late evening when he finally returned home. Of course Yihan wasn’t home and he didn’t leave a message explaining when he would be back. 

Jaejoong tiredly went to his bedroom and changed into something comfortable. After he was changed he went to his bed and sat on his side. He pulled open the drawer to his bedside table and shuffled through the envelopes of bills and letters until he found Yunho’s invitation. 

He already made up his mind not to go but having a little escape from this weekend seemed inviting. His fingers ran along the letters and his mind went to Yunho. He wanted to go even if it was just to see him but it would be a bad idea. After a bit he buried the invitation under bills and letters. 

He left for the kitchen and prepared a small meal for himself. It was late when he finished eating. Yihan still was not home and he still had not called or sent a message. Jaejoong knew better than to bother him though. He sat on his sofa with his television on but he wasn’t watching anything. He just stared at the screen not caring. 

Bang! The door was thrown open. Jaejoong got up immediately and went to see who was there. He found Yihan there on the ground. 

“Yihan?!” Jaejoong to him but was pushed away. 

Jaejoong stumbled backwards but didn’t fall. 

“I don’t need anyone’s help. Definitely not yours.” He stood up and swayed a little. 

Jaejoong knew he was under the influence of alcohol. Memories from the previous times came back to him and instead of getting closer to him he backed away. He watched Yihan slam the door shut and his fear increased. 

Yihan looked to him angered. “There he is my ever loving fiance.” He stumbled forward. “You with your stupid wedding demands and they are just stupid. It took me a whole week to finish that report and they lose it so easily. !” He hit the wall with his fists. “I try and try but still it doesn’t seem like it’s enough.” 

“Yihan, let’s just go to bed.” He went to him but Yihan grabbed him tightly by the wrists. 

“I wouldn’t have to work so hard if it wasn’t for you and this stupid wedding.” He growled. 

Jaejoong tried to pull away but Yihan held onto him tighter. “Yihan you’re hurting me.” 

Yihan forcefully pushed him away and Jaejoong fell backwards. Yihan looked down at him angrily before he stumbled away to their room. 

Jaejoong stood up on shaking legs and kept his eyes on the bedroom door. He stared at the door for the longest moment wondering if his fiance would come through that door. When he didn’t, he took a soft breath and went to that door. He put his hand to the door and pushed it open to find Yihan passed out over the bed. 

He exhaled shakily as relief spread through his body. He entered the room and went to his closet to get a blanket. He didn’t want to disturb Yihan on the bed. He reached into the closet and grabbed a spare pillow and blanket before leaving the room. 

He went to the sofa and sat upon it. It’s been months since the last episode. He tried to forget what happened moments ago. He fluffed his pillow and put it on the sofa before laying down to sleep but sleep was uneasy. 

Jaejoong awoke early the next morning and found that Yihan was still sprawled over the bed. He changed quickly and seen the small bruises on his wrists. He hid the bruises and left for work. He prepared for opening while Changmin showed up an hour later. 

He let Changmin finish the rest of the orders while he watched. He zoned out a few times with his mind replaying the last night. He could not forget because it was not just the one incident. Changmin was right this can’t go on. Changmin took notice of his silence and before long he sighed and looked to him.

“Fine.” Changmin went to his friend. 

Jaejoong heard his voice and shook himself. “What?” 

“I’ll be your best man. I don’t like this pairing but you are my friend. I will stand next to you but only because you asked.” Changmin sat next to him. 

“What? You will?” Jaejoong was still a little dazed. 

Changmin nodded. “You should open the doors. There is a customer coming in first thing for some cakes I made for her party. They are in the fridge.” He went back to finishing an order. 

Jaejoong smiled weakly and stood up to get the order for the customer but stopped. “Changmin, will you come with me to a party tonight? It’s a small party that an old friend invited me to.” 

“What about Yihan?” He asked. 

“He is busy tonight. You know work things.” Jaejoong shrugged his shoulders. 

“Tonight?” Changmin thought. “I guess I can come, when?” 

“Around eight. It’s high class so you have to dress up.” Jaejoong smiled. 

“Okay but you are opening early tomorrow.” Changmin went back to his order. 

“That’s fine.” Jaejoong left Changmin.