A New Jaejoong

Still in Love

Jaejoong arrived early to work. It was almost two hours since he left Yunho’s hotel room. He went home to shower and left for work soon after.  He played music loud and worked on an order of cupcakes. He mixed batter while his mind was lost in daydreams.

 

Another hour passed and the cupcakes were cooling and he prepared for opening. He cleaned the countertops and displayed the cakes and baked sweets. He had the entire place smelling sweet and welcoming when Changmin and Kyuhyun came.

 

“Well, well here you are. I was wondering where you disappeared to last night. I was going to call the cops.” Changing smiled and stood next to Jaejoong.

 

“You're being dramatic.” Jaejoong looked to his friend with a bright smile.

 

“But I see this huge smile on your face that tells me that I don't need to worry.” Changmin drank his coffee.

 

“Of course. I came here early to get started on a few things.” Jaejoong went back to the cupcakes and brought some frosting.

 

“So where were you?” Changmin asked.

 

“Just out.” Jaejoong answered nonchalantly.

 

“Really? Does your neck hurt?” Kyuhyun asked while he pointed at his neck.

 

Jaejoong covered his neck.quickly.

 

“Uh..” Changmin cleared his throat. “I think it’s time to open. Kyuhyun can you unlock the door and switch the sign to open. Jaejoong already prepared everything.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded and left for the front of the store.

 

“Jaejoong?” Changmin looked to his friend. “Please tell me this isn’t from Yihan.” He turned Jaejoong face to the side so he could see the dark purple mark. “Did you sleep with him last night? Is that why you didn’t come home last night? Are you going back to him?”

 

Jaejoong brushed Changmin’s hands away. “No I didn’t sleep with Yihan and I am not going back to him.” He begin to frost the cupcakes.

 

“Then who were you with?” Changmin whispered.

 

“It wasn’t Yihan that is all you should know. I am happy right now Changmin. Let me be happy for this moment.” Jaejoong turned away from him.

 

“Um, Jaejoong. Someone is here for you. Kyuhyun returned.

 

“Who is it?” Jaejoong asked.

 

“You’re ex. He brought flowers.” He answered just as the bell dinged for the new batch of cupcakes that were done. “I’ll get those.” Kyuhyun went to get the cupcakes out.

 

“If you weren’t with him last night than why is he here this morning with flowers. He did this last time. Please don’t go back to him.” Changmin whispered.

 

“I am serious. I wasn’t with him. I don’t know why he is here but I will go see.” Jaejoong went to the front to see for himself and changmin followed but stayed a fair distance away.

 

“Jaejoong?” Yihan stood at the door with a large bouquet of flowers and big smile.

 

“Yihan. What are you doing here?” Jaejoong walked closer to him.

 

“I wanted to talk to you. I tried calling but you aren’t taking my calls and I guess you wouldn’t after…” He trailed off.

 

“What do you want to talk about?” He stepped closer to him.

 

“Well, I got these for you.” He handed Jaejoong the flowers.

 

Jaejoong noticed the sad look within Yihan’s eyes as he took the flowers.

 

“They are nice.” He looked over the bouquet.

 

“Thanks. I am not really sure if they are your favorite but they reminded me of you.” Yihan weakly smiled.

 

Jaejoong smelled the flowers.

 

“I just want to say I am sorry for what happened. I know I was horrible. No I was a monster. I have been a monster this entire time. I know my anger is something I need to have more control over.

I should not have questioned you about your past marriage and I know there is nothing going on between you two. I am sorry.” Yihan cleared his throat.

 

“Yihan…” Jaejoong begin.

 

“Wait, please let me finish.” Yihan took Jaejoong’s hand. “I have started going to therapy and anger management. I am learning to better control my anger and I want to be a better person to you if you will give me the chance. I really want a second chance and I know maybe not now but maybe we can work on it. Please. I want your forgiveness.”

 

Jaejoong took a breath. “You have my forgiveness.”

 

“Jaejoong?!” Changmin interrupted.

 

“Changmin go help Kyuhyun with that order. We need them finished by this afternoon.” He looked back to his friend.

 

Changmin glared at him before he turned to leave.

 

Jaejoong took a breath and he looked over the flowers. “You have my forgiveness. You always had my forgiveness, Yihan. Everytime you hit me or hurt me I forgave you because I thought that would be the last time but it wasn’t. I can’t do this anymore. I am glad you are getting help but I can’t give you a second chance because I already gave you many second chances already. I need to give myself a chance.” He gave the flowers back to Yihan. “I am sorry but I can’t.” In the back of his mind he wanted to step away because he was afraid that Yihan would lash out at him. His mind conjured images Yihan hitting him and knocking him to the floor.

 

Yihan lowered his gaze to the floor. He nodded weakly. “I really do love you, Jaejoong and I want you back. This won’t be like last time. You have my word.”

 

“I loved you too with all my heart but I don’t have the strength to anymore. I am tired of lying to my friends about why I can’t go out because of the bruises or wearing big clothes to conceal the bruises. I just can’t do it anymore. I am too afraid to be around you” Jaejoong held his breath.

 

Yihan stepped closer and raised his hand and Jaejoong flinched. A look of concern echoed across Yihan’s face. He nodded.

 

“I understand.” Yihan sighed. “Take care of yourself.”

 

After he left Jaejoong took a slow breath.

 

“I am proud of you.” Changmin appeared from the back.

 

“Hhmm.” Jaejoong looked to the door and turned to his friend.

 

“So what’s next?” Changmin went to Jaejoong. “What about your ex husband?” He put his arm around Jaejoong.

 

“I think I should finish with the what I was doing first.” Jaejoong went back to the cupcakes that Kyuhyun had already finished and was starting on something else. “That wedding cake ready for tomorrow?” He asked.

 

Changmin’s expression changed. “That’s right, that wedding is tomorrow. Will you go?”

 

Jaejoong shook his head. “I was Yihan’s plus one. I don’t want to be around weddings right now. I just ended an engagement.” He leaned against the countertop. “I know I made the right decision here but I am afraid of what’s next. I don’t want to make a mistake. I think I need time by myself. I should focus on me right now.”

 

“You are right. You have really grown.” Changmin patted his back and the bell above the door rang and Changmin left to see.

 

The day only grew busier and busier until at long last it finally ended. Jaejoong was exhausted and tired but content. He leaned on the countertop with his elbow and chin in hand. He looked over the clean and empty place. A sigh escaped his lips and suddenly he felt an uncertainty creep up on him.

 

“Are you okay?” Changmin came to stand next to him.

 

“Where’s Kyuhyun?” He asked.

 

“Already gone home.” Changmin leaned on the countertop too.

 

“I made the right choice now but what about the future? What if I just keep making mistake after mistake? What if I hurt him again? He doesn’t deserve to be hurt again not by me.” Jaejoong closed his eyes and shook his head.

 

“You are talking about your ex-husband?” Changmin offered a small pat to Jaejoong’s shoulder. “He was the one you were with last night?”

 

Jaejoong weakly nodded. “I know I am such a for sleeping with my ex-husband so soon after ending my engagement.”

 

Changmin laughed. “Having doesn’t make you a Jaejoong. Wanting doesn’t make you a . Selling makes you a and I know you are above that. I am not judging you for having with your ex either. You are a good person and don’t forget that.

You made mistakes and you know that. You are also working to better yourself. The Jaejoong I saw today was a different Jaejoong one that I am so proud of. So stop punishing yourself. You are doing the best you can.”

 

Jaejoong smiled. “Thanks.” He sighed. “How lucky was I to get a friend like you.”

 

“Right!” Changmin laughed again. “Give yourself some time and when it’s right go to him. If he really loves you then he will understand. Also people make mistakes in love it’s inevitable but I know that this time around it will be better. Either way I will still be here. This place will still be here.” Changmin went to leave. “Let’s go home. I am ordering take out.” He went to leave.  

 

Jaejoong sighed. He hoped for a better future for himself hopefully a future with Yunho in it.