The envelope

Still in Love

Five months had passed and so much had changed. The bakery took off. They gained more business and were able to hire another to help. The new employee had a gift with baking and a way to sweet talk the customers that had them coming back for more. His name is Choi Siwon. He was a big flirt with men and women alike.

 

Jaejoong stood at the counter watching Siwon work his magic as he got a customer to order another piece of cake. He looked over at all the customer’s smiling faces as they awaited to get Siwon’s attention. He would have to give that man a raise.

 

The ring of the bell above the door pulled Jaejoong out of his thoughts. He looked and saw a familiar face.

 

“Jaejoong!” Heechul walked to Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong smiled and met him. They embraced each other.

 

“I thought you forgot about me.” Jaejoong pulled away.

 

“No I could never forget you.”  Heechul smiled.

 

“Hello?” Siwon approached them.

 

“Hello.” Heechul’s eyed him.

 

“Would you like a seat? One just opened up.” Siwon smiled his brilliant smile. Jaejoong knew that smile.

 

“Well thank you.” Heechul smiled and allowed Siwon to lead him away.

 

Jaejoong followed and sat with Heechul.

 

“How about I bring you Jaejoong’s favorite?” Siwon looked to Heechul.

 

“Yeah sure.” Heechul nodded and Siwon turned to leave. “Wow!” He said after he walked away. “How do you work here?” He asked.

 

Jaejoong laughed. “Thanks to him we have a lot more customers.”

 

“I can see why. That smile. Tell me is he single?” Heechul asked.

 

“You know I don’t know. We don’t talk about those things. I am not even sure if he is into men or women. He is just a big mystery but very nice to look at?” Jaejoong looked to the handsome man.

 

“That is true.” Heechul turned to watch the man fetch a couple of cakes.

 

They watch as he returned with two cakes and set them down on the table.

 

“Here you go. It is strawberry shortcake. Jaejoong just loves these and makes them with such care. You can really taste the love he puts into each one.” Siwon gave Heechul that look that all of the other customers crave. “Can I get you anything else?” He asked.

 

Heechul shook his head and waved at Siwon as he walked away.

 

“Can I bring him home?” Heechul whispered.

 

Jaejoong laughed. “You can have him!”

 

Heechul turned his attention to the cake before him. He picked up a fork and took the first bite and it was delicious.

 

“Wow! This is amazing!” Heechul took another bite.

 

“Thank you.” Jaejoong took a bite of his cake and savored the sweetness of it.

 

The two ate in silence for a few moments before Heechul noticed he was almost finished. He put his fork down and wiped his lips with a napkin.

 

“So how have you been? To be honest I was surprised to see you at Yunho’s party.” Heechul his lips of any remaining strawberries.

 

Jaejoong looked to Yunho’s former secretary. “Well I surprised to be invited at all. I didn’t plan on going but I suddenly became free and asked Changmin to come with. It’s been a long time since I have been to such events. It felt like before.” He smiled.

 

“Really?” Heechul took another bite of his cake. “Forgive me for being too forward but I don’t see a ring on your finger. I heard you were engaged.”

 

“Uh…” Jaejoong looked to his empty finger before he closed his hand. “Well I ended the engagement.”

 

“Oh I am so sorry.” Heechul became quiet.

 

“It’s okay. We just grew apart and it’s best this way.” He lied.

 

“So you are single?” Heechul asked.

 

“Why are you going to ask me out?” Jaejoong jokes. “I have to say I don’t think I am quite  your type.”

 

Heechul laughed. “No I was just wondering.”

 

“Well I don’t want to say I am single but I am not with anyone at the moment. I am waiting.” He looked down to his half eaten cake. He remembered Yunho and a smile came to his lips.

 

“Waiting?” Heechul looked confused.

 

“I just don’t want to jump into another relationship so soon after my engagement ended. So I am waiting.” Jaejoong explained.

 

“Oh I see. That is smart I guess. I suppose you and your ex-fiance had a long history. I guess it makes sense to have some time.” Heechul nodded.

 

“Yes. We had quite a history.” He looked away.

 

“So have you been talking with Yunho?” Heechul switched the subject.

 

“Uh?” Jaejoong paused and tried to find an appropriate answer.

 

Heechul shook his head. “I’m sorry I should not have brought it up. Forget it.”

 

“No.” Jaejoong sat up straighter in his chair. “I haven’t...Um...We haven’t spoken to each other since he left for America.”

 

“Well I suppose you didn’t know he returned last week?” Heechul ate the rest of his cake.

 

“He did?” Jaejoong was surprised. “I thought he was going to be away longer?”

 

“He is only back for a month and then he has to return to finish there. I have his number if you want it?” Heechul’s eyes brightened.

 

“Um..” Jaejoong thought for a moment. “If he is back already he probably is too busy. Maybe next time.”

 

Just then Heechul’s cell phone rang and he looked at the screen before he pressed a button and the ringing stopped.

 

“That is my cue to go. Could you walk me to the my car. I have something I have to give you.” Heechul stood up. “What do I owe you for this delicious cake?”

 

“It’s fine I got it.” Jaejoong walked with him to the door. He left with him to his car and wondered what Heechul had to give him.

 

“It’s such a beautiful day.” Heechul walked beside Jaejoong. “You know, I know that I am being somewhat annoying asking about Yunho and it might be overstepping  but I thought you two made a perfect couple. I was a little sad when that didn’t work out. I knew Yunho for a long time and I never seen him as happy as he was with you.”

 

Jaejoong looked to the ground, unsure of what to say until they reached Heechul’s car. “So many things happened then that I wish I could redo or take back. Yunho is a good man and he deserves to be happy.” Guilt filled him.

 

“I am sorry. I made you sad.” Heechul gave Jaejoong a comforting pat on the shoulder.

 

Jaejoong took a breath. “It’s fine. After ten years I don’t get the opportunity to speak of that time. It’s refreshing.”

 

Heechul unlocked his car and opened the door. He reached inside and pulled out a faded orange envelope. He looked to it and hesitated before he handed it to Jaejoong.

 

“What is this?” Jaejoong examined it.

 

“You’ll know when you see it but don’t open it here.”  His phone rang again. “I have to go now.” He turned to get into his car but he stopped and turned back. “Before you open it I want you know how sorry I am. I was younger then and full of hope. I did what I did with good intentions. I didn’t mean to hurt anyone. I hope you or Yunho aren’t hurt by this. Good bye.” Heechul got in his car and drove away.

 

An odd and worrisome feeling filled him. He quickly pulled away the tab and opened the envelope. He reached inside and pulled out some faded yellowed papers. He turned them over and his heart jumped and he dropped the papers to the ground. He looked to the direction that Heechul had left but he was already gone.

 

Jaejoong covered his mouth in shock. There on the ground was the divorce papers he had signed ten years ago. Why did Heechul have them? The wind picked up and threatened to blow the papers away. He quickly picked them up and looked through them. He recognized his and Yunho’s signature. It was undeniable this was their divorce papers from ten years ago.

 

What does this mean?

 

He held them tight to his body and returned to his bakery. He passed through the front and went quickly to the back where is cell phone was.

 

“Jaejoong?” Changmin called as he went passed him quickly.

 

He didn’t want to stop. He had to know the truth. He grabbed his phone and left through the back door and went for his car. He got inside and began to call a number.

 

After almost and hour Changmin went to check on him and found him staring blankly ahead. He opened the car door and called his name but he didn’t answer.

 

“Jaejoong?” He shook him and he seemed to come out of his stupor. “I thought you left. What happened?”

 

Jaejoong looked up to Changmin. “I..I…I’m still married.” He turned away and his face glazed over as he stared faraway again.

 

“What?!” Changmin asked confused.

 

Jaejoong grabbed the papers he had and gave them to him. Changmin looked through them and immediately knew what they were.

 

“This doesn’t mean you are still married. Maybe they are a copy.” He gave the papers back.

 

“No. These are the originals. I called to check and these papers were never handed in. I have been legally married to Yunho for the past ten years.” Jaejoong sighed and sat back in his seat. “Changmin what am I going to do? What should I do?”

 

“Maybe tell you husband?” Changmin leaned against the car.

 

“How do I do that? How can I just show up at his door and say ‘hey we are still married?’” Jaejoong massaged his temples. “Will he even answer the door? I left him hanging last time. I thought I had more time.” He pouted. “This is a mess but it’s no different than the rest of my life.”

 

Jaejoong glanced at the papers.

 

“Well maybe it’s the perfect time?” The taller male shrugged his shoulders. “Do you want him to be your husband again? Do you still feel the same? Does he? Maybe it’s time to address this issue. It’s been months since your break up. If you it’s something you want then why not?”

 

“Really? You think I am ready?” Jaejoong got out of his car and shut the door.

 

“Yeah. I do. You seem like a different Jaejoong. You are happier and brighter than I have ever seen you. I say go for it and if it doesn’t go as planned than at least you can free yourself from that time.” He stepped away from the car. “But in the meantime you should probably finish work.” Changmin went back inside.

 

Jaejoong looked up into the bright sky. Is it the right time?