Light

Still in Love

Yunho sat on the sofa of his girlfriend’s apartment. Her furniture was quite expensive looking. Her apartment was very spacious with large windows that overlooked the city. It had a beautiful view and the location was amazing. It must cost a ton just to rent.

The appearance of a peculiar smokey grey cat distracted Yunho. The cat meowed and jumped onto the sofa and crawled into his lap. He purred as his little body curled up and closed their eyes. Yunho sighed. The cat had been following him around all morning. He thought he escaped him earlier when he fell asleep on the bed. It must've woken up and came looking for Yunho.  He ran his fingers along the soft fur of the feline.

The doorbell suddenly rang out and the cat opened it's eyes. Yunho picked it up and set it on the sofa before going to answer the door. He didn't bother to check the peephole to see the visitor. He opened the door and was surprised to see Jaejoong standing there.

“Jaejoong?” Yunho was slightly confused. “How’d you know I would be here?”

“I heard you were taking care of Bo Kyung’s apartment while she is out of town.” Jaejoong cleared his throat. “Can I come in?” He asked.

Yunho nodded and stepped aside for him to enter. He closed the door and Jaejoong stepped out of his shoes and into the apartment. He wandered to the living room.

“Jiji!” Jaejoong went to the cat lying on the sofa. He lifted the cat in his arms. “I miss you so much.” He kissed the cat on the head.

“You know Jiji?” Yunho asked.

“Of course, Jiji used to be my cat but I had to give Jiji away because Yi Han is allergic.” Jaejoong sat on the sofa in the same spot that Yunho had been sitting in.

Yunho sat at the opposite end on the sofa. He wasn't sure why Jaejoong was here but he didn't mind. He was feeling a bit bored so the company was welcome.

Jaejoong gently petted the cat and Jiji purred under his touch.

“I guess he misses you too.” Yunho watched the pair. “Is there something you needed?” He asked after some time had passed.

Jaejoong paused for a bit and looked up from the cat. “I don't know. I left work earlier and just found myself here. I didn't really have a plan. I thought I would make an excuse but I got distracted by Jiji.” He continued to pet the cat. “Do you love her?” He finally asked.

“Who? Jiji?” Yunho was surprised by the sudden question.

“Your girlfriend. What are your feelings for her?” He asked again.

Yunho smiled. “That is between us.” He changed his answer when he saw the hurt expression on Jaejoong’s face. “We’ve only been dating for a few months. Love is not yet. I care for her but she loves my money.”

“What do you see in her?” He asked when Jiji pulled themself away and crawled to Yunho.

Yunho accepted the cat and just let it rest in his lap. “She’s beautiful, y and she’s fun. She’s is also kind and funny. She may seem vapid and narcissistic to you but she does have a beautiful heart too. That is what attracted me to her in the first place. I was the one that approached her first.”

Jaejoong looked from the cat to Yunho. “What if she breaks your heart?”

“That is impossible.” He paused to pet the cat in his lap. “She has to have my heart to break it. I don’t give that away too easily anymore.”

Jaejoong looked away. Those words swayed him a bit and left him with a loss of of words. He allowed the silence to fill the room as he tried to gather his thoughts.

“It’s nice that you are so worried about me. I am flattered but I can assure you that you don’t need to be. I grew up in this world. I know how to spot a fake person. Though Bo Kyung is digging into my pockets she is a real person. There is something about her that seems sad. I want to make her happy and if that is not with me than so be it. We are just enjoying each other right now. It’s not serious.”

Not serious? Jaejoong contemplated those words for a bit. He remembered their little bathroom scene. Was that serious? It couldn’t be.

“What about the bathroom?” He asked.

Yunho nearly laughed. “That wasn’t serious either.” He cleared his throat and put on a more serious expression. “I always wondered what it would be like to meet you again. What would I do if I happened to bump into my ex? I contemplated the many scenarios and when I did get to meet you again I was blindsided. I did not expect you to follow me into the bathroom. It was all teasing.”

“Teasing?” Jaejoong was confused.

“Well, I wanted to be angry considering our past but a lot of time had passed. I thought we could laugh over it now and the look on your face was well worth it.” He bit his lips to conceal his smile. “I would not have let anything happen though so your fiance has nothing to worry about.”

Jaejoong looked to Yunho. He really is a different person. He seemed like light and carefree. He was bright and his smile was refreshing. Unlike Jaejoong, who seemed to be in the dark or shadows, somewhere that light rarely goes.

“Jaejoong?” Yunho waved his hand in front of him after some time passed with no words.

He shook himself out of his daze. “You really changed. You are not the same Yunho.”

“Ten years passed I was going to change eventually.” Yunho smiled.

“No, it’s not that?” Jaejoong felt a swell of emotions. “Everything after our divorce never worked out for me. I became distant from my father. He was sick and I didn’t know about it. We begun to reconcile only after he got sick. I needed more time with him but he died suddenly. His company was taken from him and my mother and I were left withnothing. We fell into debt. It took a toll on my mother’s health. She had to go live with my aunt.” Jaejoong paused to keep the emotions and tiredness from crushing him. “Yi Han and my bakery are the only good things to happen in my life since the divorce.” He looked to Yunho. “You are the same yet you are so carefree. Looking at you is like looking at the sun. Its different than the cloudy and stormy you from ten years ago. You changed.” Jaejoong turned and fidgeted with his fingers in his lap.

Yunho smile fell from his lips. “The sun is the brightest after the darkness. Don’t let my smile fool you, Jaejoong. Just because my wounds are hidden does not mean I haven't suffered too.” He sat straighter. His mind contemplated many things as he watched his ex-husband fidget with his fingers. “I knew about your father. I wanted to be there.”

“Then why didn’t you?” Jaejoong looked up to him.

Yunho looked away. “Two months had passed when I found out. When I came back I visited his resting place. I wanted to find you but at that time I couldn’t. I wanted to help when your father’s company was being taken away but it wasn’t the right time.”

Jaejoong saw the light leave Yunho’s face and his smile faded away. There it was. He saw something dark nd heavy weighing on him. When he opened his mouth to speak, his phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it from his pocket and seen the text message from YiHan.

“It’s YiHan. I guess I should go.” Jaejoong stood up.

Yunho set Jiji aside and stood up. Jaejoong saw his light return along with his smile. “That is right, you don’t want to keep him waiting.” Yunho walked him to the door.

Jaejoong stepped back into his shoes at the door. He turned to Yunho to say goodbye but was surprised by an embrace.

“I really did miss you too. I am glad to have met you again.” Yunho held him tightly.

The tight embrace was too familiar to Jaejoong. He wanted to melt into him but he pulled away a little too early for Jaejoong’s liking.

“I’ll see you later.” Yunho turned and went back to Jiji.

Jaejoong turned and left.