The Invitation

Still in Love

Jaejoong was at work gathering the details of his own wedding. His smile did not drop since the morning. His stomach felt like it had butterflies and he kept imagining his wedding day. He thought of the day he would stand before all their friends and family and confess their love. It will be perfect.

 

“Well someone is having a good day.” Jaejoong looked up to see his old friend come through the door.

 

“Yoochun.” Jaejoong went to his friend. “What are you doing here? Where are the kids?” He looked to the empty spot next to him.

 

“With their mother back home. I had some business in town. I thought I’d drop by.” Yoochun smiled.

 

“Hey Yoochun,” Changmin appeared with a small box of pastries. “I just finished them. I know your wife likes the raspberry ones so I made plenty. Tell her and the kids I said hi.” He handed the box to Yoochun. “Everything is done. I am going to leave early but I’ll be in early tomorrow to work on the new orders. Bye.” Just as quickly as he came he left.

 

“Whoa, that boy is always rushing.” Yoochun watched him disappear out the door.

 

“Yeah. He is an amazing baker. He has a knack for all of this. Sometimes I don’t think I need to be here because he takes such good care of the place.” Jaejoong smiled.

 

Yoochun looked to the box in his hand hesitantly. “There is something I need to tell you.” His voice was serious.

 

“Okay.” Jaejoong’s smile fell from his lips. He went to a table near by and they both sat down.

 

“Well it’s about your wedding.” Yoochun sighed. “You chose me as your best man but I can’t be there. My wife is pregnant and we just found out its twins.”

 

“What! That’s good news.” Jaejoong breathe out in relief.

 

“Yeah we are both excited but this time it’s going to be a little more difficult. So she needs a lot of help with the kids. So I don't want to be away from her too long.” Yoochun looked down.

 

“It's okay, Yoochun. Go and take care of your wife. She needs you more than I do. I'll be fine. I'll just have Changmin step in. It's no problem.” Jaejoong patted his friend’s shoulder.

 

Yoochun sighed. “I'm sorry.”

 

“Don't be. I'll be alright.” Jaejoong smiled.

 

“Okay. I should probably go. I have to get these to her.” Yoochun got up to leave.

 

“Chun.” Jaejoong stopped his friend. “Do you have to go right away?” He asked.

 

Yoochun turned to Jaejoong and seen his frown. “Why? What's wrong?”

 

“I don't know how to say this.” Jaejoong hesitated. “You're the only one who knew about my first marriage and how messy it was.” He fidgeted with his fingers.

 

“Yeah it was a real mess.” Yoochun looked to his friend concerned. “This marriage won't be the same if that's what you're worried about.”

 

“No it's not that.” He took a breath. “Yunho’s back.”

 

Yoochun eyes widened in surprise. “What? Are you two back together?” He asked.

 

Jaejoong shook his head and begin to explain everything that happened. He even told him of the bathroom scene.

 

Yoochun was even more surprised after listening to his friend. “Have you told Yihan about him?”

 

“No.” Jaejoong turned away.

 

“Why not? Lies ruined your first marriage and your first marriage nearly ruined you. I know I was there. Don’t let lies ruin your next marriage. Besides you and Yihan are perfect together. Don’t let this become messy too.” Yoochun followed Jaejoong as he went to sit down at the table from moments before.

 

“Why do I have to tell him? If Yunho didn’t show up I still would not have said anything.” Jaejoong sat at the table.

 

“Jaejoong?” Yoochun sighed at his friend. “You went over to visit him. Have you told Yihan of that at least? You are already keeping things from him. Put yourself in his shoes. What would you do if Yihan was seeing another man behind your back and not telling you?”

 

“But, I’m not seeing him. It was just one visit.” He sighed.

 

Yoochun gave him a knowing stare. “Really? Why visit him in the first place? Do you still have feelings for him?”

 

“No but it’s just he’s with Bo Kyung and you know how she is.” Jaejoong looked to Yoochun worried.

 

“And you think you worrying is not a feeling? Bo Kyung is Bo Kyung. Yunho can take care of himself.” His phone rang and interrupted him. Yoochun pulled it from his pocket and answered it. A minute later he hung up the phone. “My wife is having a headache and our youngest has a fever. I should go.” He turned and went to the door. He stopped before he left. “He deserves to know. Better it comes from you than from someplace else. I’ll see you later.” Yoochun waved and left.

 

Jaejoong looked at the door that Yoochun left from for the longest moment. He knew he was right. He shouldn’t be keeping secret this big from his future husband. Yihan deserves to know and Jaejoong needs to keep away from Yunho for the time being.

 

Jaejoong turned away from the door when he made up his mind to tell Yihan about Yunho. He went about with his bakery until closing time. Very few customers had come by. It was a slow day. It gave Jaejoong ample amount of time to think about what he would say to Yihan. Changmin had already finished everything for the next day save for a few things but he would come in early the next day to finish.

 

When he arrived at home Yihan was still at work. He texted Jaejoong that he would be late and just to have dinner by himself. Jaejoong sighed and prepared a small meal for himself. He sat alone at his dinner table and wondered what Yihan’s reaction would be. Would he be angry for hiding the truth or would he be okay with it?

 

An hour passed and it was getting late. He sat at the sofa waiting for his fiance to come home. Finally he heard the keys and he turned to the door. The door banged open and Jaejoong jumped. Yihan looked angry. He muttered under his breath as he kicked off his shoes. Jaejoong stood up.

 

“Yihan?” He whispered.

 

Yihan looked up to Jaejoong and the anger melted away. “Jaejoong.” Yihan closed the door behind him softly and stepped further into the apartment.

 

“What’s wrong?” Jaejoong went to him.

 

“My boss held me up at work. He lost the reports and I had to stay late to redo them and then the ungrateful idiot wants me to work this weekend.” He sighed before he pulled Jaejoong into his arms. “I am glad though that I am home with you.” He buried his face into Jaejoong’s shoulder. “I am so tired. I am just going to have a shower and go to sleep.” He pulled away from their embrace and kissed Jaejoong’s cheek before leaving for his shower.

 

Jaejoong watched him as he walked away. He couldn’t tell him now. He had a bad day and he doesn’t need Jaejoong’s news to make it worse. Instead he followed him into the bedroom and prepared for bed himself.

 

While Yihan showered Jaejoong laid on their bed. In his heart he knew he would have to eventually tell him.

 

Jaejoong awoke early the next morning. Yihan was still asleep at his side. He didn’t bother to wake him. Instead he leaned into him and kissed his cheek before he got ready to leave for work.

 

Even though he was early to work, Changmin was already busy baking the next orders. Everything was ready just in time for opening and the entire bakery smelled like freshly baked cakes.

 

Jaejoong was cleaning a table when he heard the bell above the door ring.

 

“Welcome to our bakery. Can I…” Jaejoong turned around to greet the customer found it to be none other than Yunho standing there. “Yunho?”

 

Yunho smiled. “Hello”

 

Jaejoong looked to see if Changmin was near but he wasn’t. He went to the other at the door.

 

“What are you doing here?” He asked.

 

“I looked you up and thought I come and see your bakery. It smells so nice in here.” Yunho looked around. “Also I wanted to invite you to a party celebrating the groundbreaking of my new factory.”

 

“This weekend?” Jaejoong looked to him.

 

“Yes. I partnered with a Korean company and they want to throw a party in honor of the groundbreaking. You can bring your fiance of course.” He smiled.

 

Jaejoong thought for a moment. Yoochun’s words echoed in his ear. He knew this could put him in a bad situation.

 

“It’s nothing serious. You can decline if you want. It’s just I thought I’d offer an invitation.” Yunho walked to the counter with the display of cakes behind the glass. “Do you have something with strawberries?” He asked as he examined the cakes before him.

 

Jaejoong shook himself from his silence. He went to the counter. “We have strawberry cheesecake or strawberry shortcake.”

 

“I’ll take the shortcake.” He looked up to Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong smiled and went behind the counter and pulled the shortcake from the display. “These were made this morning by my amazing baker.” He put the shortcake in a small box and handed it to Yunho.

 

“It looks delicious.” He gave Jaejoong money for the cake. “So about this weekend, should I take your silence as a no?” He asked.

 

“Um…” Jaejoong looked to him. “Well I might be busy this weekend but I can try to make it. What time and where is it?”

 

“Here is an invitation.” He pulled a small envelope from inside his coat. “I hope to see you there.”

 

“Okay.” Jaejoong took the envelope from Yunho.

 

“I have to go. I have a meeting to attend to.” He offered a small bow and left.

 

After he left Jaejoong looked at the envelope. The party was an exclusive place downtown during the evening. Many thought came to his mind and each one of them conflicting with each other. It was just an invitation. It didn’t mean anything. He was just being friendly or was he? Ex-lovers can be friendly with each other right?

 

Should I go…?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's just an invitation right?