A NEW BEGINNING

Wither, Wane, Grow.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-DECEMEBER 7 2031-

 

10 years later 

 

 

“Sowon ah! Hurry up we’re going to be late!” 

 

Sinb called out across the hallway whilst fumbling around for her keys while two coats hung across her arm. 

 

“I’m coming! Wait for me!”

 

A voice replied as she frantically ran towards the door. Looking at the girl, Sinb bent down to fix the girl’s hair. 

 

“You’re in such a mess my child, and your buttons aren’t buttoned up right! What did I tell you, always start from the bottom didn’t I?”

 

Sinb began nagging at the poor girl. The girl just stood there catching her breath while she allowed Sinb to do her thing. Sinb made the last adjustments to the girl’s cute little bowtie tied to the back of her brunette her. 

 

“Oh, your coat.”

 

She remembered as she draped the small thick coat across the girl’s shoulders. 

 

She stood up and offered her hand to the girl. 

 

“Alright, let’s go! Better not keep your aunties waiting.”

 

Sinb smiled as her right hand tightly grasped the girl’s small hand. 

 

When the two of them arrived downstairs, they were greeted by four other familiar faces who came to pick Sinb and the little girl up.

 

“Sowon ah!”

 

Yerin exclaimed as she exhibited her signature eye smile. She bent down and opened her arms wide which prompted the little girl to quickly let go of Sinb’s hand and run towards Yerin. Sinb could only scoff as she watched the girl go while she continued walking at her own pace. 

 

The little girl ran right into Yerin’s arms as Yerin swiftly picked the girl up into her embrace. 

 

“Happy Birthday Sowon ah!”

 

The little girl gave the most innocent giggle ever which caused everyone to coo. 

 

“Look at what I got you Sowon ah!”

 

Umji said as she pulled out a teddy bear that was hidden behind her back the whole time.

 

“Jjan! This is for you for being well behaved for another year.”

 

The little girl squealed as she happily received the bear from Umji. 

 

“Now, what do you say?”

 

Yerin asked the girl in a slightly more serious tone but still sounding playful.

 

“Thank you Yewon Auntie!”

 

“Ayyy call me Unnie, I’m the same age as your Sinb Unnie.”

 

Umji pouted upon hearing she was called an Auntie.

 

“Sowon ah!”

 

The little girl turned around, reacting to her name, revealing Yuju and Eunha whose hair had grown out over the years. Eunha handed the lollipop to the little girl as the girl excitedly grabbed the candy with her tiny palms. 

 

“Thank you Eunha Auntie!”

 

The little girl said as she began trying to remove the wrapper from the lollipop.

 

“That’s my little Sowon am I right?”

 

Eunha caressed the little girl’s soft hair and laughed. Yuju on the other hand watched the little girl struggle to open the candy.

 

“Do you want Yuna Auntie to help you open it?”

 

Yuju asked in her usual angelic tone while putting her palm out.

 

“Yes please! Thank you!”

 

The little girl then placed the lollipop onto Yuju's palm where she quickly ripped off the wrapper and popped it into the girl’s mouth. Seeing Sinb who finally arrived, Yerin gently put the girl back to the ground. 

 

“You guys are going to spoil her like that you know?”

 

Sinb jokingly said as she gestured Umji to hand over the car keys. 

 

“Well, says the one whose late!”

 

Eunha quickly rebutted.

 

“I had to fix the kid’s clothes!”

 

“Yeah, I think you spoil her the most Sinb ah…”

 

Yuju cheekily commented. Sinb sheepishly smiled. 

 

“Sowon ah, you sit behind with your Aunties alright?”

 

“Yes Unnie…”

 

The girl replied as Yuju picked the girl up and ushered Yerin and Eunha to get into the back seat. 

 

“I don’t get it, why does Sowon get to call you Unnie and the rest of us Aunties.”

 

Umji expressed her discontent at being reminded that she was old as she headed to the seat beside the driver. Sinb hopped on and started the engine as she turned around to make sure everyone was settled down before locking eyes with the little girl who was sitting on Yuju’s lap. 

 

“Sit tight alright, kid?”

 

The girl nodded while she continued to on her lollipop. 

 

“Alright, let’s go then.”

 

Sinb energetically said before making a turn out to the main road.

 

----

 

As the ride went on, Yerin started the conversation while adjusting the  loose strands of hair from the girl.

 

“So do you know where we’re going Sowon ah?”

 

The little girl nodded before pulling out the lollipop.

 

“We’re going to visit Mommy!” 

 

“Yes we are! You smart girl.”

 

Umji turned around while giving a thumbs up. 

 

“Do you know what day is it today though, Sowon ah?”

 

Sinb asked while her eyes still fixated on the road.

 

“It’s my birthday!”

 

The girl zealously replied.

 

“Other than your birthday?”

 

Eunha continued. Through the many years of their relationship, they could finished each other’s sentences with a breeze. It’s been more than 10 years after all. 

 

“It’s also Mommy’s birthday!”

 

“Ding dong deng!”

 

Yuju lifted the little girl’s arms, flailing them in the air. 

 

“What are you going to tell her when you meet her?”

 

Sinb asked again. 

 

The girl gave a couple of hums, proving that she was thinking. Everyone’s attention was on the girl except Sinb who was well, driving obviously. Sowon was really the apple of all the girls’ eyes. They adored her to bits and treated her like their own. 

 

“I’ll tell her how much of good girl I’ve been this year and that Sinb Unnie pulls a lot of pranks on me!”

 

“Hey! Don’t say that!”

 

Sinb blurted out, taking quick glances behind while still concentrating on the road. 

 

Umji turned her attention to Sinb, putting a straight face on. The anxious and driving girl suddenly turned stiff.

 

“What! I don’t do it anymore!”

 

“Stop bothering her dude! Sojung Unnie will rise from her grave and smack the hell out of you for bullying her kid!”

 

Umji’s comment received a bunch of applause from the older Unnies sitting in the back, the little girl on the other hand looked around confused with what her Aunties were doing. 

 

“Oh come on, I love her a lot you guys know that right?” 

 

Silence. 

 

“BOO! Sinb Unnie Boo!”

 

The little girl laughed as she booed Sinb, causing a roar of laughters in the car. Sinb chuckled along seeing the girl having a great time. It made her heart feel warm and she knew it was what her Unnie in heaven would’ve wanted; the people she loved to always be smiling. 

 

----

 

“Alright, one, two, three, jump!”

 

Yuju called out as she opened her arms ready for the little girl to jump into her arms from the car seat. 

 

“Alright, I’ll race you there!”

 

Yuju put the girl down before, pretending like she was about to pull a Usain Bolt. 

 

“Wait for me!”

 

Eunha yelled before catching up with Yuju and the girl. 

 

Meanwhile, Sinb, Yerin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter