Chapter 8

Sunkissed

I resisted the urge to scream at him, because it would've been unwise.
And immature.
Instead, I went to the bedroom and started preparing myself, while repeating the dance in my head.
“Taeyong was worried about you, do not be too harsh on him.”
It was Taweret, standing at the bedroom doorway.
“- Maybe he should worry less, and focus on a better way to celebrate his birthday.
- He's worried about the small detail I mentioned previously.
- Oh.”
That.
Taweret told me about how men participating in the ritual will have to fight for the dancer, the maiden. The winner will have to complete the ritual with her around the campfire by a dance, to then take her to the temple where they would… bless the upcoming fertility rituals. I first froze when I heard about it, but then Taweret told me that I could simply refuse, that no one would know since the shield protecting us would be like a wall, no one would see or hear us.
“- Iahe.
- Yes?
- It's time.”

The pale sun shined a little more before setting behind the tall cliffs at the west of the village.
And the festivities begun.
The priest broke the circle gathered around the pyramidal pile of wood, holding a torch in one hand, and a book in another. While he walked around it, villagers bowed their heads in respect. And when the torch touched the wood, it exploded in flames, lighting up the many faces standing around it. Word came out that there wouldn't be a ritual dance, so everyone was surprised when the men came out with costumes (a knee-length skirt, bare chest) and a mask hiding their face.
They started dancing around the fire, singing in rhythm out loud for what felt like a whole night (well it was till the first rays of moonlight appeared). They were saying prayers in a secret language that only some knew of. I knew about it, because I once heard Father talking about it and criticizing it (Sinful screams coming from sinning fools, he would say. Well if it was THAT foolish, Father, why didn't you ban it?). It was a thank you for a fruitful season, a blessing for the one that came next, and… women as fertile as their fields. But their dance was sacred and full of spirit, it was hard not to join them.
It's not your turn yet, hold it together Iahe!
And then it stopped. All men went on their knee and waited. The temple’s bell started ringing.
That's my signal.
I walked gracefully, splitting the crowd in two as I made my way to the fire. My dress was a real masterpiece, long sleeved. Its fabric (pure silk) was reflecting at first the moonlight, making me faintly glow, like one of the stars up there. But when the crowd parted and nothing was between me and the fire, I shined like the sun. It was like I represented both of day and night. The dress hid my scars, but it had a very low neckline going down till just under my belly, and a slit on each side of the skirt, going up to my thighs. If I was back in Stellara, I would have burned the dress, and canned myself for wearing it. But just for that night, I wanted to be wild, to do what I always loathed: seduce and induce lust. I wasn't Her Highness anymore.
Just Iahe.
As I got to the fire, one of the men started ringing a small bell in a fast rhythm, as I was slowly raising my head and my hands up to the sky, one leg in front of the other, while my hair went down to my waist.
I looked at the moon, and the stars for just a second.
Guide me, my beloved Nut.
The drums started playing. And none could take their eyes off the graceful maiden.
I danced with such delicacy, that people kept scrubbing their eyes. It's not a dream, I resisted to say, afraid to break the trance everyone was in. It felt like dancing on clouds, like the wind was carrying me around, like I was floating. That night, I put all my worries down and just thought about that dance. I felt free. And the fire… was magical. It might be someone messing with it, or a hidden fire user (who knows?), but with every step I took, with every movement, it was burning brighter, higher, like it was trying to protect its daughter, its beloved maiden, and to make her shine brighter than the Sun.
And then the drums stopped. Then they slowly started playing another pattern, a signal for men to start approaching the maiden, claiming her for the night. And it was also my signal to start avoiding them. I ran and avoided gracefully each hand trying to grasp me, till they decided to retreat. One by one, they decided that the maiden was not as easy to get as they thought, giving up and retreating as the others got more excited and determined to get the prize.
I was doing great! And what if no one succeeded in claiming me? Will they let me go home? Will they-

A strong hand caught me.
No matter how hard I tried to escape, it was futile. Like a cat caught between a night creature’s teeth. That was it… No matter how many times I told myself that it was fine, I stood there, paralyzed by fear. I then tried to calm down by thinking that, as long as I had the mask, I was safe, that I could refuse…
Until he snatched the mask from my face.
And it was pure chaos.
The crowd started wailing, asking for mercy, as they went down on their knees, head touching the sandy ground, no matter how hard I desperately yelled at them to stop and stand up. So I turned to the one responsible for this.
 His face might be hidden by the mask, but the holes made for his eyes told everything. I didn't even notice the strands of moonlight-kissed hair trying to betray his camouflage.
Those eyes were purple.
It was Taeyong.