Chapter 2

Sunkissed

Earth is an amazing power. Men owning it cultivate delicious fruits and vegetables and are called the fathers of Earth. But it's also very useful for charms. Priests only can exercise that type of magic, since it'll be only used for great causes like protection. Sometimes it is used for punishing prisoners and to compell them to say the truth.
But tonight it is used for everything but good intentions. It was used for greed and lust. My cousin Shezmu —with the help of my childhood friend— charmed my scarf, a gift for my birthday.
But why?!
Shezmu reached the upper part of my dress and tore it apart, being careful not to knock off the scarf. As he tried to push my body up to his, he suddenly let go, with a glimpse of disgust behind his smirk.
“Little Iahe, you are a little naughty, am I right? But don't worry, those disgusting scars won't see the light, neither you. From now on, you'll be a slave under my reign. You'll tell your people about how you'll give your title for the love of your life, and hide in the shadows, unless you want to hear news about creatures sneaking up to your parents' room. And since I'm kind enough, I'll bring the beautiful princess Melqart to the palace to keep you entertained. But of course, she'll be bounded to me since I'm the king and to thank her after all these years preparing for tonight.”
As I looked up at nothing, I sent a prayer to Nut. I didn't know what to ask for, but I wanted to be okay. I'll end up with a lustful man as a consort, and a traitor as my childhood friend, but I still believed that everything will be ok.
But then Shezmu stopped just before he took my purity and my liberty forever.
His eyes widened as his cape— the only thing he still had on— caught on fire. We were under attack.
He laid on the ground and started rolling around, yelling for help, forgetting that he could put it off using water. And with that, the shield was broken. But my body wouldn't move because my scarf was still on.
I was lying there on the altar, , desperately crying as the attackers started filling the room. I wanted to die. To join my ancestors and my Godess. Because I'm useless —powerless— in this world.
One of the attackers came and stood over me. He was wearing his cape undone so people could see his fierce godlike body. He was also wearing a mask but I still could see his piercing blue eyes looking at me. Not at my body, at me.
“What are you waiting for?! Just get over it! Abuse me! Kill me! I DON'T CARE ANYMORE! JUST DO IT!”
But he didn't even flinch. With a swift move, he removed his cape, exposing his bare arm—on which he had mysterious curves made with ink— and covered me with it. Then he put his hand over my eyes, and everything went black.

I woke up on the sound of a crying baby. I opened my eyes to see where it came from, only to find a young girl staring at me.
“Who are you?” she said.
“Sia let her rest, stop bothering her!” said an older voice.
A woman, who I suppose to be the named Sia's mother entered the small rest room. She had strays of gray hair in her auburn cascade, and was holding the crying baby.
“- Your Highness, please forgive my daughter. She’s still young. Please I will take respon…
- Ok hold on. Who are you? And where am I?
- Your Highness…
- Just call me Iahe.
- Apologies your H… Iahe.”
But before she could speak, a man walked in. As he stepped inside I immediately recognized his undone cape and his deep blue eyes, and all memories of the ritual came to me. This time, he had his mask off, showing his moonlight white hair and weird little dots on his cheeks.
“You.”
He turned to the family.
“- Mother, I need to privately talk with her highness.
- I said my name is Iah…
- Please mother.
- Ok.”
After his mother left with the baby who was now smiling and curious Sia, he turned back to me.
“- Ok Iahe. You can speak now.
- What?! How dare you speak to…
- I know I know. Princess Iahe daughter of Pharaoh Amkhen and consort Ntaria. Just let's get rid of formalities.
- You! You kidnapped me! Who are you?! Are you of Aten's tribe?! Father will drown your village into an eternal rest if you don't let me go!”
To this, he ran and closed my mouth with his hand, his face a breath away of mine. I wanted to talk but his eyes took my words away.
“-Listen now, instead of pouting and uselessly yelling like a kid, you should listen to what we have to say. Your parents won't do anything because they're DEAD. Understood? Their dinner was poisoned. I wanted to slowly tell you but you were acting like a child!
-... Lies.
- The night I saved you —you're welcome— they organized a dinner to celebrate your coronation with other royalties. The only survivor of this poisoning was some big deal Canaanian princess. Oh and my men took this for you.”
As he finished, he took a silver chain from that ‘pant’ (that what they called a skirt with legs, right?) he was wearing (with an old carved dagger attached to it), and threw it towards me. As I held it, I immediately recognized it. This was mother's pendant, a moon embroided with charmed sapphire runes. Those runes were charmed by priests to shine when the owner is alive, even if he's not wearing them. But those weren't. No matter how much I turned them in the moonlight, they wouldn't shine. They were dead. Just like mother.
“- Get out.
- What?
- I SAID GET OUT!
- Okay okay! I'm out!”
I threw a pillow but he was already closing the door.
I started sobbing so hard that I didn't realise when I fell asleep.
My family left me. I was all alone. And if Shezmu and Melqart find me, I would be dead.
I can't let that happen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi, again! Thank you for bothering and clicking on my ff! I apologize for taking 2 weeks to upload but I'm busy with my summer classes (1 month till graduation!).

Please don't be shy and leave a comment! As long as it's respectful, I don't mind critics.

Also, thank you for the new subscribers!

Elena2496

 

Oh, and please support NCT Cherry bomb!