Chapter 11

Sunkissed

All those years… I thought I was giftless. I can control flames! But that's impossible! How? And why me?
But right now wasn't the time to ask questions. I was still Shezmu's prisonner in Aten's village. I need to try to light a fire again in his clothes.
I looked at his cape and concentrated as much as I could. Nothing. Unfortunately, Shezmu realized what I was doing, and kicked me right in my stomach. It was way worse than Neper's punch, probably leaving a bruise for the next night. If I survived.
“Now now, we don't want rebellion, right? If you follow my orders, I promise that your warrior will be instantly killed. No torturing, alright my love?”
I looked at him, my eyes full of hatred. It wasn't just because I wanted to try what I did to my sibling years ago. I hated him. He's no longer the sweet cousin I knew. He's a criminal, a murderer, a traitor to Stellara… and to me.
The moment I glared at him, Shezmu put his hand on his chest, like something stabbed him. But then he looked at me, my hatred being bounced back at me. He joined his hands, creating a water bubble, and slapped my head with it. As I was reaching out for air, he took me by my hair and started yelling.
“How dare you, little bug, come and attack the new Pharaoh of Stellara! I should have ordered those men to kill you immediately! You are a worthless piece of trash to this kingdom! I give my oath to Geb that I won't leave anyone in Amun village alive, starting with that warrior!”
As he finished speaking, he took his sword from his belt, putting it on my neck. He was no longer a human. He looked like a creature of the night, the ones we always feared during rest time.
“- As for you, it ends here. Burn in hell, Your Highness!
- GET AWAY FROM HER!”
My tears were immediately running down my cheeks when that familiar voice spoke. As Shezmu and his men looked around to see who it was, Taeyong was already inside the tent, immediately knocking Neper out. I also took the opportunity and liberated myself from Shezmu's hands, cutting my long cascade of hair with his still raised sword. But he didn't take much time to wake up from his shocked state, because he immediately grabbed me by my dress and tore it, exposing my back where I suddenly felt a jolt of pain, making me scream.
I saw tempting black dots, but held back, not wanting to be more of a burden to Taeyong.
Speaking of Taeyong, he was with the two men, intensively staring at them with deep purple eyes, turning them against each other. When I first saw them that night, I was terrified. Not today. I was charmed by them, almost wishing he was staring at me instead.
Looking at him, instead of trying to escape, was a bad idea. Shezmu grabbed me tightly, and held his sword on my neck. He looked horrible, like he lost his mind. Well, actually he did lose his mind. It was then that Taeyong looked at us, his eyes gaining back their natural color. Today, it wasn't just a flicker. His eyes were fully showing fear.
“Stop the madness, or I'll do things to your little princess that no one can imagine!”, said Shezmu, with a scary aura in his eyes.
Taeyong, following the instructions, ordered the three men to sleep.
“It's okay, I came to talk quietly,” he said while taking a step toward us.
But Shezmu didn't like it. With a swift move, he carved another scar-to-be with his sword, this time on my stomach, then moving it back to my neck. I expected a scream to come out, but I was too weak. Instead I released a moan.
“- Stay right in your place! Or the next one will be on her neck!
- T…Taeyong! Don't mind me! Please, just go! The village needs you!
- SHUT UP!”
He did the same thing, but this time, the slash was longer. It was too much. I fell on the sandy ground, but somehow, I was still conscious enough to see what was happening… and enough to still feel the cold bloody sword on the back of my neck.
“STOP! Please don't hurt her. I'll do whatever you want. I… I heard you wanted to kill me. So here I am. I'll accept it without resisting.”
As he was speaking, he threw the sword and the dagger I’ve always seen him carry around away. Then he removed his scarf (since I took his cape, and now only Gods knew where it was), kneeling after finishing.
“I'm ready.”
No. Just as he finished, I started crying again.
“- T… Taeyong, no. Please don't. Your village…
- Iahe, my village is strong enough to fight back without my help, and you know it very well.
- But… what about me…
- Don't worry, you'll come back aliv—
- NO! I won't come back alive! Because I won't run back without you!
- Iahe…
- You damned idiot put this in that skull of yours: You live, I live. You die, I die.”
I left him speechless. Because what I just said, were my vows to him. As Shezmu walked away from me, he looked down, probably thinking of what I said, and as I was waiting for him to laugh at it or just push it away, he didn't.
Instead, he looked at me, with wet eyes, and a beautiful smile. My tired heart was going to beat out of my chest, but all I could do was smile back. But then his smile disappeared, as he kept mumbling.
I don't deserve you, my dear Iahe. But I'm ready to die for you. Please protect her Amunet.
Shezmu stood behind Taeyong, the sword on his victim's neck.
“- So,” said Shezmu with a voice I barely recognized, “you are willing to die for someone like her.
- I'm ready to face all Pharaohs and Gods for her.
- Courageous, indeed. But what about her disgusting appearance? Wouldn't you be ashamed of walking with a scarred woman? Have you seen her shameful back?
- I've seen them on that night, when I saved her from your sinful hands. If her Highness would let me, I would kiss every scar she has, her marks of bravery. Her Highness is a warrior like me, but she uses words as her weapon, she's the smartest across our lands, and I'll be more than honored to die for her.”
As he spoke, his eyes were focused in mine. They weren't cold as I used to see them. They were sparkling with emotions: happiness, pride, and love.
They were full of love.
“- Iahe… look away.
- No.
- Look. Away.”
This time, he wasn't asking. His eyes were slightly glowing purple, as I felt his presence in my mind. My eyes were closing, though I tried hard to resist. He tried to put me to sleep.
No.
“Excuse my insolence… I love you”
Please no.
As my now closed eyes released what they still have of tears, I sent my desperate prayers to Nut, remembering some of the words mother taught me when I was young.
“Oh Nut, Mother of our lands, who always listened to my greedy prayers, I beg you. Hear my broken heart beat of all its strength, shouting for your mercy. Let my inner flame wildly burn to warm up your land. Take my words as my oath for loyalty, and save my love from eternal darkness!”
I heard a gasp, and something —someone— falling. My eyes were closed, so I didn't know who released it, or who fell. I could only feel the air getting hotter.
“Taeyong?”
No answer.
“T… Taeyong…”
Nothing.
My heart sank.
It can't be… he's not…
My thoughts were interrupted. My body couldn't handle it anymore.
I fell into darkness.

 

------------------------------------

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is doing fine these days and you had wonderful holidays. I couldn't update for w reasons:

1. My data bundle reached its limit (like usual lol)

2. I had to deal with personal issues concerning my friends and didn't feel in the mood to write anything.

Well anyways, here's a new chapter! Enjoy~^^