Chapter 13

Sunkissed

And that's how we became awkward. Add the fact that my identity had been revealed that night, leaving me to deal with worshippers wherever I went, making my task of hiding my scars harder.
Wherever Taeyong saw me, he would bow, turn his back, and walk the opposite way. And even when I caught him by surprise, he always managed to change the subject and escape. I didn't know if he was afraid of repeating what happened, or if he was hurt that I rejected him, but I still wanted that awkwardness to disappear. So, two days after what happened, I caught him by surprise, this time tackling a different subject, one that actually should've been my priority.
“- Taeyong, we need to talk.
- Please excuse me Your Highness, but I have to-
- It's about Shezmu.”
He stopped talking and avoiding my stares. He looked at me with that same familiar look, serious and cold.
“- You're right. Ask whatever you want.
- What happened that night? When you told me to close my eyes? Shezmu had his sword on your neck… but you're still alive and well…
- I thought you already knew. The tent caught fire. And Shezmu got distracted by it, so I punched him so hard that he passed out.
- The air got warm, but I passed out before I could process what was happening. Who burned the tent?”
His eyes softened as a hint of a smile appeared on his lips, and kept staring silently at me.
“- I did it?
- I wish you knew how you looked when praying. You were like another sun under that tent. Your voice got powerful, like a true queen, and flames shot out of earth the moment you ended your prayer. You have an amazing gift Iahe. In this village, we believe that humans gifted with fire are beloved of Amun, that they were chosen to change the way our kingdom ruled, to rule with justice. You were the sign many priests predicted. You are this kingdom’s salvation.
- But Taeyong… I'm not… I'm just an exiled princess. I can't do this!
- Why not?! I thought I told you not to pity yours-
- IT'S BECAUSE I'M SCARED!”
He stood there looking at me for a moment, with a glint of confusion in his eyes.
“- How can you be scared of-
- Because it's different from ruling as a queen and following the old way! Because all my life, I've been treated as an aberration because I apparently I had no powers, I was laughed at when I tried to suggest a small rule for our kingdom, and for your information, I can't feel proud of having these scars! They remind me of the times Father told me that I was worthless, to the point that I started believing him! And do you want me to remind you that I'm on Stellara’s death row?! That I've been exiled to the lands of Amun when I’ve never seen the sun in my life?! Yes I stopped pitying myself, I promise! But I was never given such responsibilities before! And I'm struggling enough because of that flame inside me! I'm a daughter of the Night for Geb’s sake, the descendant of a modest family. And worst of all, I have to deal with this awkwardness between us! How many times do I have to tell you that I understand what’s wrong, or how should I tell you that I was just exhausted and a bit scared, that I didn't mind, that… Taeyong, I promise, I'm trying but… too much…”
I promised I wouldn't cry again, especially in front of Taeyong, I was sick of being the weak one. So I turned my back to him and walked away.
I went to Taweret, wanting to calm down with work. Despite her telling me that I could stop coming, or the fact that I had to deal with some worshippers, I still loved being there with fun women and cute children. I still helped her with minor issues, cleaned the place with a groom even if it meant adding new calluses to my hand, and went every few days to a flower shop to buy flowers for the new vase I bought.

As the day ended, I walked the path down and exited the village to go sit on a dune towards the west. As I watched the sun set, I started thinking.
 You are Amun’s beloved Daughter.
“No. I'm Geb and Nut’s beloved Daughter. Geb is my Protector, and Nut is my Mother, all these years I believed and prayed for them, and I won't let that flame in me change my beliefs!”
I stared in silence as another thought came to me.
Amun or Geb, it doesn't matter, Taeyong was right. I was chosen for a certain reason. But, I'm still so weak! And why me… Should I really…

I guess I have no choice then.
I stood up and cleaned my skirt from the sand, and took a deep breath. After letting myself relax, I looked at a dead plant and concentrated. At first there was nothing, but then I saw traces of smoke coming out of it before it caught fire.
I did it!! With more training, I-
But I couldn't continue my line of thoughts. Because, behind that dead plant, a snake was hiding.
And it was coming at me.
I thought of running, but the snake was definitely faster, it would catch up and kill me with one small bite.
Come on Iahe, concentrate! You can burn it!
But I still wasn't good at controlling fire, and I couldn't set fire to the sand, and when I tripped on my skirt and fell backwards, I thought it was over. Was it my punishment from the Gods? How much time would it take for someone to find me? And Taeyong…
No.
As the snake stopped right before my feet and stared at me, I couldn't help but start crying. After all that fighting, my life will be ended by a sna-
“IAHE, LIE DOWN!”
I didn't wait for a second time and did what I was told, because as the snake bared its teeth, a beautifully carved dagger came flying directly above my head and pinned the reptile on the sand, dead.
The normal Iahe would have backed off, but, from terror and anger, I looked down hard at the snake, causing it to immediately burst in flames. But I wanted to burn more, more-
“Iahe, wake up, it's me!”
That voice snapped me out of my thoughts, and I finally noticed that Taeyong was shaking me by my shoulders.
“- Let me go Taeyong! I want to-
- I won't let you until you completely calm down!
- I said I'm okay!
- No you're NOT!”
He then took his dagger and put it in front of my face.
What I saw scared me. Although my face was the same, I barely recognized myself when I saw instead of my brown eyes two red rubies shining with fury. But when I blinked, they were gone.
Taeyong noticed it too, because he finally loosened his grip. But he didn't let go.
“- Iahe, it's okay, you're safe…
- No it's not! Did you see what I just did? I just lost control!
- No one was hurt, and you controlled yourself again, that's what-
- You don’t understand! If you didn't stop me, I might have did something worse and-
- Hurt someone? Iahe, I do understand,” he said with a small, sad smile.
And then it hit me. That was what Taeyong was struggling with every day. Control over his gift. His fear of hurting someone. His fear of hurting me. I couldn't answer anything without rambling or making a fool of myself, so I just hugged him and cried for a while.
“- I'm sorry-
- Don't apologize for something you didn't know about.
- I need to learn how to control it while keeping my emotions out of it. But before that, we need to go somewhere right now.
- Where?
- Back to Aten’s land. We need to check if Shezmu’s still alive.”

-----------

 

I am the worst I know DX.

Honestly I have a reason why I didn't update and it's because I started working. I work from 8:30 till 4 and I have college at 5 from wednesday till friday. But since I'm back in the mood, I will write more so I can finish the story. I already have some finished ones and I know how I want to end it. I just need the energy to write it lol.

 

​​​​​​Anyways, enjoy and don't forget to subscribe!

Comments are love 💙