Chapter 5

Sunkissed

I was weak.
Today, I got scolded by Taweret, because I was too slow and clumsy. I spent a full hour cleaning just the waiting room, and accidentally broke the empty vase. I almost dropped a vial containing rare herbs, and even hit my head with the cabinet's small door (again).
That day wouldn't end quickly, but at least it did. I stood outside, watching the setting sun, while Taweret rearranged her vials.
It was my first time seeing it. Though I felt relieved the heat went away, seeing it felt so sad, like the sun was dying, being chased away by the moon. It almost made me scared of the moon, almost loathing the night, my long time ally.
“Do not be sad, your Highness.”
Taeyong's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.
“The sun is resting so it can rise again stronger and brighter. The moon, its ally, is modestly taking its place to keep an eye over us.”
I looked at him. He was contemplating the sunset, but he kept talking.
“- How was your day, your Highness?
- Taeyong, I told you to call me Iahe. As long as I'm away from Stellara, I'm no longer royalty. I'm a nobody now. I'm a weakling—”
It was to my shock that he pinned me to the wall, his carved dagger on my neck.
“If you're going to pity yourself like this, I give my oath to Amun that I will spill that coward blood from your neck. So I said, SO MOTE IT BE!”
With a little push, he then released me and walked away. I let myself fall on my knees, shaking and sobbing.
“Do not blame him, dear Iahe, he means you no harm.”
That voice's owner was Taweret. But she spoke to me with kindness I only saw in Mother's actions. It made my heart clench with pain.
“- His father, the previous warrior of Amun village, was killed right in front of us when he was little. Back then I was just a weak woman, so seeing the horrendous act made me lose my mind. I thought of myself lowly, to the point that I selfishly tried killing myself many times.
- What happened?
- That day, I was holding a dagger to cut my blood vessels, but he came running and pushed me, pinning me on the ground. He told me the same thing that he just told you. I knew that the blood of a warrior was burning in his veins. I haven't tried to hurt myself since then. I gave an oath that I wanted to watch him grow up, get married and have children I could raise as their grandmother.”
I kept silent for a while. Thinking. Taeyong was always cold and hard on me, but he did care about my wellbeing.
“- You can come back home now. I'll stay here to finish some work.
- Are you sure you don't need my help?
- You might be fine now, but the sun must have drained you. You're still a daughter of the night.”
Silently agreeing with her, I stood up and walked back, passing out when reaching my bed.
The next day, I woke up alone at the sunshine stabbing me in my eyes. Without making noise, I checked if someone was at home. Taweret was apparently early at work, and little Sia was probably playing outside. I took the jug and started drinking… until Taeyong snatched it from me and took a drink.
“Hey!”
He didn't answer. I punched his arm, but I was pretty sure I was the one hurting from it. But a least he noticed.
“Oh, didn't see you there.”
As he was speaking, his cold eyes were glaring at me, sending a chill down my spine. He tried to drink from the now empty jug, but then slammed it on the ground breaking it, and then walking away.
Looks like I'll be late for work today too.

Taweret asked me to go to the herbalist, with a list of herbs I had to buy. After drinking half a water bottle, I walked out in the burning sun.
When I arrived there, I gave him the paper (since I had a hard time naming the herbs), and waited.
There was a fruit stand across the herbalist, and a child looking at the apple box, wanting to buy.
“Here you go,” said the herbalist.
After paying him, I went back, only to find Taweret waiting for me.
“- Iahe, I'm sorry, but I want you to go back to buy some fruits. I would have said it earlier, but—
- It's okay Taweret. I'll go back.”
After drinking the other half of that water bottle, I went back, only this time, there were yells and cries coming out of a circle of people.
As I got closer, everything got clear. The child I saw earlier was now on his knees, bloody and battered, with the stand owner holding a cane and an apple.
The child stole the apple, and the man did what everyone did to thiefs: beat them to death.
I stepped inside the circle, head held high, arriving in front of the child.
“- What is happening here? A man should educate the child, not beat him.
-That is none of your business! This kid here tried to steal an apple, and I'm punishing him like we do to all thiefs here.”
I looked at the child.
“- Is that true?
- I'm hungry… mother is sick… father left us…”
I looked back at the man.
“- You know that beating the child is not the solution. Why can't you show him some sympathy? Giving him the apple won't kill you, or, if you're that attached to your money, help him search for work.
- Sympathy?? Why won't you show it to us, since we're ignorant in your eyes.”
Without hesitation, I took off Mother's pendant.
“Here. This is my most valued belonging. Use it to pay for the child's meal and his mother's medication.”
As I got close enough for him to take it, he just threw it back at me.
“I have a better idea. Receive the beatings he deserves, and I give my oath that I'll feed him and treat his mother like my own family. Or, you could just step back, and be that stranger who won't get her nose in people's business.”
As I didn't answer, he pushed me aside to continue his ‘Godly’ judgement.
“Wait. I will do it.”
I surprised him for a very short momemt, but then he smiled. Without any word, I turned my already scarred back to him, ready to receive his hits.
I heard his cane swoosh in the air, but it didn't hit me. Something was in the way.
‘Someone’ was in the way, hugging me.
The cane broke as soon as it hit Taeyong's back.