Chapter 16

Sunkissed

After a good “day” sleep, I went to the tailor to see my costume.
 Since it was an urgent case, the costume was ready. And for a provocative costume, it was a colorful white masterpiece with traces of blue and orange, like it was made just for me. It had minimal fabric over my chest, but still enough to hide and seduce. Two pieces of fabric met in an X to hide my newly acquired scars. The bottom part was similarly designed to the dress I wore during harvest day rituals, but reaching my knees. And as I needed to hide my face, he also made a soft veil to hide half of my face. Adding some accessories on top of my head and on my wrists, I was ready to go.
But as I wore the dress, a problem appeared. The tailor didn't even make an attempt to hide my back. If Shezmu saw my scars, I would've been easily exposed and killed. He saw the problem and immediately went on his knees asking me to spare him. Knowing that trying to get him back on his feet would be impossible, I told him that I would spare him if he would get Taeyong. I've never seen someone stand up and run out of the door as fast as he did.
I didn't wait long before he showed up.
“Is everything okay Ia-“
And he froze. Just for a moment. I barely caught his eyes turning purple before he came and pinned me to the wall.
“Your Highness... are you trying to tempt me? Because you are succeeding.”
He then kissed me with such need that I almost thought he was waiting for me the moment he was born. No matter how much I needed him to stop, I didn't want to. I kissed him with the same need, slipping my hands naturally around his neck. He immediately closed the distance between us and slowly moved his lips towards my neck. Shivers passed through my body although it was “burning”.
But before I lost my last grain of control, I held one of Taeyong’s silky hair and pulled it out of its roots. He stood back, and his blue eyes revealed that he snapped out of it.
“-Iahe, no offense, thank you for pushing me back , but I'll turn bald if you do this every time I lose control. Try to find something else
- Or, maybe next time,... I won't stop you,” I teased.
His eyes started showing hints of purple but he suppressed it. Hardly, but he did.
“- Iahe... stop it. It's not the time.
- Fine! I need your help.
- What's wrong?”
Without wasting my breath, I turned my exposed back to him. I could hear him taking a deep breath, in fear of not losing it again. He then touched some of my scars, which almost made Me lose control. So I begun speaking.
“I thought of asking the tailor to redesign the dress, but I fear it would take more time, and I can't afford that. Is there no other way?”
Taeyong stood behind me, thinking. After what seemed like years, he spoke.
“- Iahe, I have an idea to hide these scars, but you have a choice to make.
- What is it? And what choice?
- We can use henna to cover your back. The choice is about how long you want them. We can draw temporary ones that would be removed after a while. The risk is that they might get erased, revealing some of the scars. Many women in this village can work together to complete it.
- And the other way?
- We can draw permanent ones, like the one on my arm. The problem is that they take more time, and are more painful, but won't be erased. The one who did this went on his journey to the Afterlife years ago, and the only one in this village who can do this... is me.”
Silence. But it didn't last long. I could've chose the safe, secure way, but since I started becoming daring, I wanted to continue on this scary but exciting path. That was why I faced Taeyong with my choice.
“Taeyong, Amun’s son, Warrior of the Sun, I ask you to mark me with your holy ink, not as your future queen, but as your lover and, if you accept this mess of a queen, your future consort.”
...
If I knew it was that serious, I would've chosen the temporary henna.
The whole process had to happen using holy ink. At a temple. During a special ritual.
Which meant that I had to reveal my scars to priests I barely knew.
Did I want to run? Yes, so bad. But I already made my choice, and a queen never changes her mind.
Not even a mess like me.
I wore the dress again (and a cape to hide it) and went to the temple. To bless it, a priest said. I started pushing the temple's door, when I remembered the last 2 times I was the center of a ritual. It made my insides clench, almost spitting out what I ate.
“Are you scared?”
I looked back to see little Sia standing behind me. Without another word, she raised her hand toward me, and I got engulfed by her wind.
“Breathe Your Highness,” she said in a voice I barely recognized as hers. It was different from that shy and curious voice. It was confident and full of power. Like a priestess.
While her wind slightly levitated me, I took a deep breath. Her wind was fresh, and smelled like a lavender field. Exactly what I needed. As she put me down, she winked, like a little curious girl, and walked away, taking her wind with her.
I took a steady breath, dropped the cape at the entrance, fixing my veil, and pushed the door further.

 

 

 

Hey everyone! How are you?

So... I'm no longer updating weekly or monthly like I promised. I'm busy with life :/

BUT! I promise that I won't drop the story because it means a lot to me. So although i rarely update, i will keep writing till I finish it. The final battle is coming, I just need to write it :p

Have a good day/night! Comments are love