Chapter 10

Sunkissed

I woke up.
My head hurt, and I was tied up, the cape long gone. I looked around, but my view was still blurry. And I was blinded. By the burning sun.
Where was I?
But it wasn't long before I remembered everything: Taeyong's betrayal, wishing to die, and Aten's tribe capturing me.
“Our beautiful lady just woke up.”
A man, probably in his mid thirties, came to me and looked with his dark eyes straight into mine. He was tall and dark skinned. He was wearing a long robe just like the ones in Amun's village, but his was white, with a special ornament: a black sun.
“Good day, your Highness.”
So they knew who I was.
“I said good day!”
And without a reason, he slapped me.
“When I talk, you better answer, get it, your Highness?”
When I didn't answer immediately, he slapped me again, this time a bit harder, which made me immediately nod. I was terrified by what was happening, but my pride would never let me show it. Instead, I raised my head, still feeling dizzy, but at least my vision was less blurry. We were in the desert, in the middle of nowhere, only a dead tree standing out between the dunes. Other than the man who was enjoying every slap I received from him, there were two lying under a tent, smoking, and enjoying the spectacle.
“Wher… where am I?”
This time, he punched me in my guts. A tear slid down my cheek, while nodding. This punch was too painful. Then, shamelessly, he raised his hand and dried my tear.
“Now, now. We don't want her Highness to cry, don't we? So let's make some rules clear. First, you answer when I talk to you, no retorts allowed. Second, only I ask questions here, and you remain silent. Or else, you will be severely punished,” he said, calmly.
“Am I clear, your Highness?”
I immediately nodded, not in the mood of receiving another punch.
“Excellent! Now, as a reward, we will give you some food and water. We will untie you, but it doesn't mean you can run. Any attend of escape, and you will earn another beautifully carved scar, understood?”
I nodded, though the punishment didn't seem that severe. I was already used to getting hit and scarred by Father, but they didn't need to know. And I was too weak to run, not to mention that I didn't know where to go.
After removing the ropes, I fell on the sandy ground. I still was weak, and my legs felt wobbly. I needed that food.
“Why can't we kill her Neper? She will waste our precious food,” said one of the two men resting under the tent.
“Because, where's the fun in doing so? And no worries. Stellara already forgot her. Until his Majesty arrives, she should stay alive. He would take care of the rest. As for us, a reward is waiting for us.”
I was shocked by what I heard. Forgotten? Is it that easy? And what about Shezmu? I started wishing I haven't left Taeyong… That was my problem right now. Taeyong was controlled by lust, and wanted to hurt me though he promised me not to. He broke my heart, and burned its remnants.
But I still loved him. So much, it hurt.
Neper opened a basket and took out some bread and a water bottle. But then he threw the bread on the sand… and splashed me with half the bottle before throwing it too in front of me. Normally I would have thrown them back, afraid of being poisoned, but I was so hungry and thirsty that I didn't care. Dying because of poisoned food sounded much better than starvation and dehydration.
After finishing my "meal", he immediately tied me back.
Unfortunately, my food wasn't poisoned. I stood up there, the three men watching me, waiting for the sunset. But it wouldn't set.
“If you're waiting for the sun to set,” said Neper while stiffling a yawn, “don't. This is Aten's lands, where the sun is always there, shining bright in the sky. So, have a nice rest, Your Highness!”
And just like that, he turned his back to me and fell asleep, his friends following him.
As for me, I stood there for what felt like eternity, before passing out.
I then woke up on someone slapping my face and throwing water at it. My mouth was drier than the desert, and my hands were sore, but at least my mind was doing fine.
Neper then untied me, but before I fell, someone caught me. Someone muscular, wearing pure silk, cleanly bathed with jasmine lotion… a lotion too familiar to me.
It was none other than Shezmu.
“My poor Iahe,” he said with obviously faked sadness, “look at what happened to you.”
He then pressed his lips against mine. But I was too weak to resist.
“-Those insolents! I shall kill them.
- L-like I'll believe what you just said.
- Oh, you're awake? I wasn't talking to you. See, cousin, we're finding a good reason to start a war against Amun's village and…
- WHAT?! You can't attack them! Everyone knows that they're kindhear- Everyone in Stellara would go against you!
- Well, not if they found Stellara's successor just a dead body.
- So? They still won't believe that the princess was killed.
- My dear foolish Iahe… You just don't get it. Of course they will believe. Our dear soldiers are on their way to Amun's village to capture the cold blooded warrior who was responsible of this horrendous crime. What was his name again? Neper?
- His name is Taeyong, your Highness, ” answered Neper.
“- Wh… what…”

I promised myself, the night I left the palace, to be strong, not to show my fear to anyone. But I was tired. I didn't want to die. I wanted to see my people again, I wanted justice and… no. That wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to get back to that day, waking up to a sleepy tall warrior with piercing blue eyes. I wanted to see that dim flicker in his eyes wherever he was worried or caring about my wellbeing.
I wanted a wild man who didn't care about my status, only looked at me. Not my belongings. Just me.
I wanted Taeyong. Not even his spirit gift will stop me from loving him.
But Shezmu wanted him dead.
I let myself sink from Shezmu's hands, and grabbed his foot. But I didn't fight. Instead I pleaded him, whimpering.
“- P-please… I will do what you want. But please, don't hurt him… don't hurt innocent people! me! Torture me! KILL ME! But please let Amun's village be!
 - Too late my dear Iahe. I would have if you haven't attacked me that night.
- But… wait, what do you mean? I WAS CHARMED!
- Naïve as always. That night, when I was burning, who was it that attacked me with fire?
- I don't know! It was those warriors!
- And how did it reach me through the seal? If I remember clearly, no one can break the seal unless he's inside it. Who was it, Iahe? WHO?!”
I didn't know what happened, but everything started making sense. Not being able to control Stellara's Goddess given gifts. My sibling's burned heart. The fire during the ritual.
I do have a gift.
I can control flames.

 

Hi guys, it's Elena2496. Sorry for not updating but I've been busy with college (updating in class lol) but don't worry! I have ready chapters and will try to finish the story to start another one I would like to introduce. So have a nice day!