Chapter 9

Sunkissed

“WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!”
I kept yelling at Taeyong as he steered me towards the temple. His grip on my arm was too hard, and he walked so fast that I stumbled many times behind me, he might even end up dragging me.
He opened the door then slammed it behind us without looking. Next to it was his cape, like he was planning to come to the temple. He had one goal: reach the altar. His eyes were still glowing purple, he was still under control of spirit.
Taweret told me once that Taeyong was a strong and honorable warrior… when he was in control. When strong emotions hit him, spirit took control, releasing his deepest desires, ones he buried well under his honorable appearance: Violence and lust.
Taeyong was being controlled by lust.
But I wasn't afraid. Because, deep in my heart, I wanted it.
I wanted him.
But that wasn't Taeyong now, it was his lust. Time to wake him up.
He stopped at the altar and stared at it, then turned to face me, his eyes still glowing purple. I reached his cheek with my hand and it slowly, causing his eyes to waver back to blue. Just a little.
“Taeyong… wake up, it's Iahe, remember? The one you saved from her cousin, accidentally ruined some plants, and stood up against a man but,” I sighed, “squealed when a cat surprised her.”
I saw what was the hint of a smile, but it quickly disappeared. Although his eyes were partially blue, what he said next shocked me.
“Get on that altar, Iahe.”
I felt a presence in my mind, but then it spread like a warm blanket. I wanted to lie down, and the altar seemed like the perfect place to-
No.
As a realized what he was doing, I raised my free hand and slapped him. Hard. Just like that, he snapped back to reality, his eyes fully turning blue again, his grip on my arm loosening. While he was still dazed, I ran away, out of the temple, grabbing his cape to hide myself. And I ran full speed out of the village.
Father was right the night he canned me when I talked to him about trust. He taught me that humans are filthy beings, that they aren't worthy of the sons and daughters of Gods, and not even royalty could be trusted. I was still fifteen that time, and no matter how hard I tried to forget, I would always remember when he got on his knees next to me, pulling my head by my hair and whispering what made me wake up hysterically for the next twelve rests.
You are lucky to be scarred my dear, because I don't like scarred women, he said.
Taeyong wanted to use me. He was just like Shezmu, and just like Father.

I didn't know how much time has passed, but I started feeling tired. The stars were slowly disappearing, and the sky was getting brighter, reminding me of the heating sun. I should have at least brought water with me. But I was too scared for it. What Taeyong did was similar to what Shezmu did.
At least, now I have a chance to die peacefully. No one chasing me, or torturing me. I will silently disappear from this world. The thought of dying didn't sound so bad now. I lied down on the still cold sand and looked up.

What no one knew, is that I had a younger sibling, the one who might have taken the throne. Father and Mother looked at him like he's a jewel, like Geb incarnated. Of course I was jealous back then. But I wanted to love him...
That night I went to his room. He was still awake, staring at nothing and smiling. I looked at him, but no matter how much I promised myself to like him, I couldn't. I glared down at him, hatred radiating through my body. It was then that he started screaming…
The echo of his screams was still inside my head. I don't know what happened, but the next day, he was found dead. Priest Qetesh said that burns were found on his heart. Father assumed it was Aten's tribe's doing, declaring a war against them. But something in me believed that I had something to do with it, though I wasn't sure…

It was then that I heard the sound of steps. Was it Taeyong?
As I looked at the source of those steps, I found two men dressed in white coming towards me. Maybe they could save me?
“Excuse me, I'm lost, can you hel…”
I couldn't finish. Because someone hit me on my head. Just a moment before falling into blackness, I saw a rusty pendant holding a black sun, a symbol I knew since I was young…. And feared.
I fell in the hands of Aten's tribe.