Chapter 14

Sunkissed

We came back home, only to pack up some essentials for our long trip. We didn't even take clothes (although the thought of staying several days in the same clothes disgusted me), we only cared about food, weapons, and more importantly water. After changing into specially designed “pants”, I kept checking the bottles for any possible leaks, because I was afraid of experiencing again what happened.
“Be careful, my dear Iahe. And drink a lot of water,” said Taweret.
“- I will. And I will come back in one piece. No one can touch me anymore without my permission.
- Now that's how a queen should talk!”
After saying our farewells and blessings (and comforting a crying Sia), I went outside where Taeyong was waiting… only to find him riding a beautiful black mare. Her hair was as smooth as silk, and shining under the soft rays of the moon. The horse was Night personified, missing only stars and a moon.
Taeyong looked at me, amused by my gaping face.
“- What?
- You should've seen your face, you looked like you were ready to bow for a mare. Like she was… what's your goddess’s name?
- Nut.
-Yes, her. Like she was Nut incarnated. Her name is Sopdet.
- Well, Sodpet is so beautiful I really might bow and pray.”
I came closer to the mare, and, like she knew me, Sopdet came and put her head on my shoulder. As I caressed her neck, I realized how cold she was.
Mother Nut, let me warm that beautiful creature, who came from your realm just for me.
I closed my eyes and concentrated. I felt a warm tingle leaving my body and, hearing the mare breathe and relax, I knew she was getting warmer.
I felt a hand on my shoulder, and as I opened my eyes, I saw Taeyong holding the dagger in front of me.
And I looked ethereal, with a faint white light surrounding me, and my eyes faintly glowing red. And when I looked at Taeyong, I saw his purple eyes looking at me, like I was a goddess myself.
He slowly reduced the space between us to barely centimeters, as my heart was loudly pounding inside my ribcage. He cupped my face as he laid a sweet warm kiss on my forehead. That small kiss, such a small and simple act, had the power to make me all tingly and warm. And it wasn't a manifestation of my powers.
“Iahe, I… I…”
I wanted him to continue. My eyes, my heart, my whole soul begged for it. But, with a smile, he let go of my face and pointed to Sopdet.
It’s not the time to listen to my heart and desires. Right now, I need answers.
I waited for him to climb so I can ride behind him, but he just shook his head.
“- Iahe, you first.
- Really? Can I?
- Sopdet is the perfect mare for you, I can feel it through my gift. She loves you.”
With just a small moment of hesitation, I climbed on the mare’s back, with Taeyong behind me, and let the beautiful Night mare kick dust and sand behind us while we rode to Aten’s lands.

The silent night desert was a truly beautiful view. Nothing but the sound of the mare’s hooves on the desert’s sand and my pounding heart could be heard through my ears, or else pure silence. I saw more stars than I ever saw in my whole life. And, instead of feeling lonely, I felt free and secretly wished for wings to explore that beautiful sky and reach out for the stars. It felt like home.
Taeyong suddenly told me to stop the mare, and, starting to worry, I ordered Sopdet to slow down, then to a complete stop.
“- What's wrong?
- Oh, nothing. But we all need to rest before continuing the ride.
- But aren't we supposed to continue before sunrise? It would be easier than to ride under the scorching sun.
- …
- What? Did I just say something wrong?
- Iahe, didn't you feel something odd about this place?
- Well, no but… this desert is weirdly comforting, it felt like… home…”

We were in Stellara’s desert. Where the night is always ruling, where I was born, and my soul recognized it, even if I didn't.
I was home.
I closed my eyes for a second and took a deep breath. My mind might not guide me, but my soul will. And as I opened them, I slightly patted Sopdet’s neck and sent her kicking sand, and almost dropping a surprised Taeyong from her back.
After a few minutes, we were on a small cliff, where we saw the whole kingdom below us. Although at first sight nothing looked different, I focused more. My people looked afraid.
But then, we heard men yelling and women -and a little girl- crying, to be faced with an atrocious scene. Shezmu, flesh and blood, stood with a bloodied sword in his hand, while the wailing women were around… a headless corpse. Before we could ask ourselves what happened, one guard I knew too well spoke:
“For failing to pay his bills, and refusing to sell his daughter for the castle, this villager was condemned to public execution. Anyone failing to pay, or daring to disobey, will face the same fate. So I said, so mote it be!”
And, like the death penalty wasn't enough, guards took the little girl with them, while Shezmu looked at her with an expression I knew too well.
Hunger.
Lust.
I steered the mare and let it reach its maximum speed, till I knew I was safe. And I started crying. Not tears of sadness or fear, but of anger.
Shezmu needs to pay.
And I'll make sure he does.

 

Hellooooo everyone!

​Here is the new chapter! I hope you're still enjoying it^^.

Since I last updated maaaany months ago, my life has turned upside down. I started working, my lifestyle kind of changed to fit my personality, and I met new awesome friends at college. Tomorrow I'll be having dinner with them and hopefully it will be fun! And I even met some friends online that share the same interests as mine.

Have a good day/night! Comments are love ^^