Chapter 7

Sunkissed

Few days have passed since that little incident. Taeyong started talking to me again, and everything went back to normal.
Umm, not exactly.
Falling in love wasn't as colorful as in our Beloved Nut’s legends. Just the thought of him made my heart race! Every time I saw him coming, I hid in a corner till he passed, while my eyes followed him till he disappeared. His voice was enough reason to make me think of the most sinful, lustful words I wanted him to whisper, but it didn't last for long. His magnificent smile was enough to erase them all , only leaving my yearning for his warm hug and his sweet words.

It was a special day in Amun’s village. They celebrated the well known harvest day. Those festivities were also known in my village, but since I was royalty, I couldn't enjoy it for security measures, unless I sneaked out (then getting caught by soldiers, and getting canned the next day.)
According to Taweret, women cooked a large amount of food, while men prepared for a ritual dance to be presented at night around the fire, thanking Amun for a good season. Since Taweret should always be available for any possible accident, she was spared from the preparations, giving her time to help me explore the now decorated village. But according to some whispering villagers, people were afraid of a widow participating and maybe bringing bad luck to the next season. They weren't offending her though, it was just their beliefs. They respected her and still let her be present for celebration.
“- Iahe?
- Hmmm… yes?
- You’re not listening.
- My apologies Taweret, I was thinking of-
- Of the real reason why I don't participate in these preparations, am I wrong, your Highness?
- N-no… I mean yes-
- It's okay, people are whispering, even when I walk past them. I’m used to it now, and honestly I don’t feel offended, because they still respect me as their wise healer. That’s all that matters to me now. That, and my son’s wellbeing.”
Bringing Taeyong to the conversation silenced me from whatever response I had. I kind of blushed, but managed to hide it quickly, hoping she didn't notice. But she continued:
“- Today is also the perfect day for fertility rituals. You'll find our temple full of couples eager to mate and get blessings for a healthy family on that sacred day.
- We didn't have these in Stellara. Only es and drunk men, but it’s a daily thing. I actually like how Amun’s village celebrate it.
- Hmmmm… It's also Taeyong’s birthday. Our warriors refused to let him work, no matter how much he insisted that he wanted to. He thinks celebrating his birthday is childish and useless.”
I stood there for a moment.
I started remembering the many times I whined because I didn't like some ridiculous detail during my celebration. I even remembered when a villager’s child gave me a bouquet of dry weeds that made my skin itch crazily. Father almost ordered his soldiers to hang him, but I cried telling him I was fine. It was also when I received my “gift” from him: my first caning. He told me that I was weak, that I'll end up being killed because of my dangerous compassion. But, since it was my special day, he decided to spare the child, but after cutting one of his fingers (I still had nightmares about it sometimes.)
But Taeyong… he didn't even care. He was acting like a real adult should, taking responsibilities and being thankful for every sunrise he had. Next to him, I was a bratty child. I didn't deserve to even have feelings for someone like him. But, unlike the old me, I won't stand there and pity myself. I promised myself then that I will mature and become a princess worth of her title.
“Iahe?”
I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Taeyong’s voice. When I looked for Taweret, she wasn't next to me.
“- While you were daydreaming, mother went for an urgent situation. The female dancer who was supposed to dance tonight fell and hurt her back. Although mother is a great healer, the dancer needs to rest. In other words, the fire ritual will be ruined.
- But can't the men dance without her?
- No, it would be like asking for trouble. Like having day without night. Sun without shade or water.
- Hmmm… aren't there any other dancers?
- Each ten years, we change the dancer. This one was in her 6th, so no one was trained to replace her.”
After a moment of thinking, I had an idea. Not the best one, but they didn't really have a choice.
“Taeyong, can you get me to the injured dancer? I have an idea.”

When Taeyong dropped me at the house where Taweret was treating the dancer, I told them about my idea.
“- No, no, and NO! I won't let you dance and risk exposing yourself!
- But Taeyong it's the only way to save the ritual! I memorized the steps from the times I sneaked out of the palace to watch the ritual.
- Have you thought about your own security? What if someone recognized you?
- I'll have a mask hiding my face.
- What about… the dress, it might not fit you.
- I already tried it. It fits me perfectly.
- And the scars?
- How did you… oh…”
A moment of silence, when Taeyong looked away and scratched his head and I blushed. He was the first one to recover.
“- Iahe… don't do it.
- I already decided it Taeyong. I will do it, whether you like it or not, so accept it or leave. So I said, so mote-”
I barely had time to finish my phrase when he started walking big steps toward me, his blood boiling in his veins. Fear controlled me when I crouched, my hands covering my head and whimpering, while tears started falling. That was it, I thought. He was going to hit me for my insolence.
“P-Please don't hurt me”
It was when he stopped in his tracks. After a few seconds, I removed my hands to look at him. He stood still.
And he was shocked.
I stood up to ask him was wrong, but he held me by my arms and brought his face closer to mine. The look in his eyes was terrifying. Not an angry one, a desperate one.
“Iahe,” he said in a broken voice, which almost broke my racing heart, “did you forget what I told you that day? I said that I would protect you from anyone who would try to touch a hair of yours. I would never, in my whole life as a warrior, hit a woman, no matter how insolent she was, or a woman, no matter how beautiful she was… no matter how beautiful you… you…“
He drew my face closer to his. Our lips were, oh so close. I could feel his warm breath on my lips, which were begging for a kiss. But that wish wasn't going to be granted.
He released me from his grip and walked away, stopping at the door to face me one last time.
“As you wish, Your Highness”
Many people called me by my title before, and I felt proud having it. But when Taeyong said it, I immediately changed my mind. It felt like an insult. 
I hated it.