Prologue

Sunkissed

"Your Highness, Iahe, it's time to wake up."
I rolled around, the voice of my maid waking me up from one of the best rests I ever had. Stretching on my bed —covered with the finest silk in Stellara kingdom of course— I was having a hard time rising, but remembering what night it was, I quickly jumped out of my bed.

Tonight, I will be introduced as the princess of Stellara, and the only heir of the throne. It was also my 18th birthday, which means I will complete the ritual of maturity, a ritual I've been anticipating since my first waking moments.

Tonight I will make my parents —Pharaoh Amkhen and Consort Ntaria,— my ancestors and God Geb and Godess Nut proud.
Stellara was my hometown, the one I feel honored to rule and protect. Its sky is always dark, with the moon rising and setting marking the beginning and the end of the night. After the setting, only stars would shine, but it wasn't safe, so my people have to be at home for rests, or they would have to face severe sanctions—even the royals will—or deal with the creatures of the night. After all, Stellara wasn't perfect. Those creatures are said to be summoned after Osiris, a warrior of our God, got mad at human beings long ago for some reason, sending the creatures as a punishment. We haven't heard of any story about those creatures, but we never know.

We also have an enemy: the Aten tribe. According to soldiers, their lands is the driest and hottest, the reason why they come during rests to steal our food and water—sometimes taking away men. Its people have their own deity, a disk like the moon but yellow and on fire, shining in the sky with too much unnecessary light while hiding the stars. Personally, I have no idea why they would like such land and such deity. Their culture screams with egoism while ours whispers modestly.

Then we have our deities: Geb, God of earth, and Nut, Godess of the sky. With their union they gave birth to human beings with amazing powers. Women, descendants of Nut, would earn the power of light and healing. Men, descendants of Geb, would earn the power of water and earth—which could explain why Aten's tribe took them away.

 

As for me… I'm different. Some says I still need to discover it, or that I might have some fatal disease.
Because today, I'll be crowned as the first princess in history without powers.